Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Allis model b

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Plowboy1972
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject: Allis model b Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just purchased an Allis Chalmers model b. Joined a local club. Went to my first show and pulled a 146%. Not sure how good that is for a stock 1949 CE low octane. Does anyone have any tips on improving that. I?d rather not dig to deep into the motor. How about I little head work? How to improve intake and exhaust using today?s fuel. How about tire pressure on a 2200lbs tractor on 9.5-24 Sat II 23 tires? Also, for the life of me I can not find the Fire, Center marks on the flywheel! I?ve had someone turning it over by hand slowly, looking in the hole with a flashlight and my readers on, and can?t see it. Not a dot, hashmark any sort of marking. I have installed 12v starting system. Other than that it?s stock.

DrAllis
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis model b Reply to specific post Reply with quote

To increase the HP of an engine, you raise the compression, increase the bore/stroke, increase the RPM's or install a larger carburetor. Doing any cylinder head porting will be an absolute waste of time on an engine like that. Increasing compression or bore/stroke is beyond what you are willing to do. A larger carb and more RPM's will get you more HP. Get one off of a D15 or D-15 S2 and make it fit the engine.

Plowboy1972
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis model b Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I understand going with a
bigger carb. How can I raise the rpms. Governor
upgrades our mods?

Thanks

DrAllis
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis model b Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If your engine is new enough, just use a D-15 governor spring. That will yield 2,200 RPM when adjusted right.

Dick L
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Allis model b Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They make a stiff wire brush that will work in a electric drill what will go into the inspection hole. I would guess you will find it when cleaned to where the flywheel looks like new steel on the edge.

I started pulling with an Allis Chalmers stock C. Same engine as your B. I was told I could get more HP with a stronger spring. What I found when pulling on a transfer sled as soon as the tractor took on a load the rpm dropped way before the traction give out and it might have gained an inch or two if any. I went to a cot spring, which is almost like using a piece of bailing wire direct to the carburetor, that would take the RPM to its fuel limit. this was not much faster that the heavy Allis spring. I drilled out the power jet a slight bit until I had the RPM as fast as I thought I could get by with. Same results as before. Without more engine it was not going to gain me much if any more distance on the track. Over the next winter I removed the head and milled .150 off that head. When I started pulling again the engine would support the extra RPM and I could see some extra gain in distance. The next year I installed small block Chevy valves and reamed out the ports to 1 1/4". This also gave me more wins than before. Because of competition from a cousin all reason went out the window. This is when I went to a 4 inch stroke, a crane ground camshaft with larger valves and all the restrictions removed from the below the valve seats. The original carburetor received a larger power orifice and venturi. I built a pulling track at the edge of my yard in a field to try all changes I made in the carburetor along with what the different balance an air pressures did.

The first head hand reamed first then milled.

This not the head I run but the same work was done.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters