Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

rotarys and straw

View previous topic :: View next topic  
redmill
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: rotarys and straw Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have tried to bale straw behind an international 1460 and was not a happy camper. Can these machines be set up so the the straw isn't pulverized, or is that just the way it is. TIA

GreenEnvy
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: rotarys and straw Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Cut in the early morning or late even when the straw is tough. We also try to slow the rotor down and open up the concave as much as we can and still maintain a decent sample. Lots of straw gets bales up behind rotaries just fine and I prefer rotary straw. You didn?t say what baler you were using?

Bob Bancroft
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: rotarys and straw Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Maybe dependent on your locale/climate? Straw in this typically damp NY climate is apt to be tough. I have a 1660 w/specialty rotor. It is set up for corn. The only thing I change between crops is speed and clearance. My straw is sold laying on the ground behind the combine as is. As often happens because of weather, the last field of wheat straw had to be raked this year. They still got all of it, in spite of leaving ruts!

WGM
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: rotarys and straw Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have no problem with straw out of a rotary combine. Try not running the straw through the chopper.

flying belgian
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: rotarys and straw Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Gosh, I don't have any trouble. Back the concaves out of the chopper and slow it down. Don't look any different then coming out a conventional.

redmill
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: rotarys and straw Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Neighbor did the combining for us. I don't know how he set it up. Using an older NH311, not the worlds best baler.

GreenEnvy
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: rotarys and straw Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We had trouble getting our NH balers to work in straw too. Solved that problem with a JD.

2underage
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: rotarys and straw Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The NH 311 baler is actually a very good baler and quite dependable.

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: rotarys and straw Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The red and yellow machines turn the straw to powder the only way I?ve found to bale it was a night with a little dew on and pray nothing breaks on the baler because if it does your in for a h*ll of a time with all that powder down your neck your shorts and everywhere else

fastfarmall
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: rotarys and straw Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Were you picking up a swath or straight cutting,? Picking up barley or a thin wheat crop, there wont be much left for the baler !

redmill
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: rotarys and straw Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Straight cutting

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Combines and Harvesters All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters