Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Gleaner c combine 1962

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jkasper123
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:07 am    Post subject: Gleaner c combine 1962 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just bought a nice looking gleaner c on purple wave it's been shedded and used every year they just cut Milo with it! It looks cheery but I don't know a lot about them except they are easy to work on! Dad had a Gleaner k2 and I've ran 3300 and 4400 and jd 45 but never been around a 60's vintage gleaner. I bought some manuals from jensales but id like to know all I can any response I thank you for and I'll post pic this weekend when we go get it!

fastfarmall
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Gleaner c combine 1962 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It should have a 262 cubic inch Allis Chalmers engine, the same as used on a D-19. It's a 7 main brg ,and in my opinon very good motor, I know one thing it's got plenty of power for that application. A very easy combine to adjust every morning, except it has a cheap raddle chain in it, maybe you will get lucky, and it been upgraded to the one that was made or sold thru Manchester Kansas. The factory raddle chain has to be checked daily.

Jkasper123
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Gleaner c combine 1962 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you explain the rattle concept to me I'm newb! Is this like the sieve and chaffer? The engine is the original

fastfarmall
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Gleaner c combine 1962 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The raddle chain is behind,underneath, the cylinder and drags the straw and chaff to the strawalkers,that's where Gleaner says a lot of the seperation takes place. Now there's got be a curtain in there also, if that's out you have to replace it or whatever.Take out the square inspection tins, about where that said chain would be, and if you can lift it up over two inches its getting loose, then u have to raise the header, crawl underneath, put your saftey stop on the lift cylinder [right side as i remember]and and remove a little rectangle door and you can see the front of the raddle chain, and also the two bolts there that you tighten the raddle chain with, then crawl out and check it again,. But have the previous owner explain or show it to you. That was the only thing that was cheap or i thought was stupid about it.

Jkasper123
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Gleaner c combine 1962 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok good to know! I appreciate the info! I will ask and have him show me. Are there good after market places to find parts for these? I don't have trouble finding parts for my old jd stuff but I don't know much about gleaner

jdv
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Gleaner c combine 1962 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The rattle chain is what carries the material from the cylinder to the sieve and straw walkers. A c2 was dadsbig combine back in the day, a simple yet very capable machine. Lots of grease zerks so you better get a manual and look it over. I bought a g when I was in high school, still own it, but she is pretty well worn out, I haven?t harvested a grain crop in 10 or 12 years now, sure miss it.

Jkasper123
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Gleaner c combine 1962 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I found a place online called schmittandsons they have parts and I mean parts lol, for every gleaner under the sun!

fastfarmall
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Gleaner c combine 1962 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

yeah, you can buy parts but maybe not Gleaner,but there are short lines companys all over, but i wanted to ask you what kind of crops are u going to harvest with it?Are you familiar with the closed concave on the Gleaner,it's not a open concave like the Deere with holes in it for the grain to fall thru, as soon as its threshed,if your going to thresh beans you better get your self some differant concaves,If you get the original owners manual, that will be the best book you can get for the machine,The first concave is on the trap door, all the rest are behind it, but the first one is the most important for threshing,if it's got the old U bars, like a small channel iron, and you want to thresh beans threw them as far as you can! Talk to you more later.

fastfarmall
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Gleaner c combine 1962 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Great, their u go,

Jkasper123
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Gleaner c combine 1962 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok... Well ya beans would be the main crop I would cut with it. Im not familiar with it at all so this is an education for me. So I'll have to get different concaves I'm assuming?

Jkasper123
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Gleaner c combine 1962 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

By the way thank you for all your help.

Jkasper123
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Gleaner c combine 1962 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Owe and I'm going to cut barely and wheat with it

WayneLee
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Gleaner c combine 1962 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Jkasper123 wrote:
(reply to post at 07:07:05 12/28/17
Grease the variable speed a squirt or 2 when stopped to unload.

Jkasper123
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Gleaner c combine 1962 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I will! Thank you I'm a maintnance nut I'm all about looking things over and greasing lol, dad says I over do it!

fastfarmall
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Gleaner c combine 1962 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yea but their a piece of cake to put in, see if u can get half moon concaves, to bolt down on the concave floor, like i said before the first one goes on the front of the rock trap door, what ever the book says how many u need, put in and go from there,For beans thats the real deal, the easy threshing crop like oats, barley, rye, and Millet, anything will work for that, but you need half moons for beans. When u get it home tell me what it's got for concaves , we can talk some more.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Combines and Harvesters All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters