Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

last dumb question of the year (maybe)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
steve19438
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: last dumb question of the year (maybe) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

is a two stage clutch and live pto one in the same? in other words you can't have one without the other ???

Dieseltech
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: last dumb question of the year (maybe) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In my mind they are. PTO drive is usually one of three types, first is transmission driven, meaning everything stops when the clutch is dis-engaged. Two stage live PTO means the transmission and PTO can be stopped with one pedal, transmission first, then the second stage clutch to stop the PTO drive. Independent PTO is completely its own system that can be turned on-off at any time.

steve19438
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: last dumb question of the year (maybe) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

had three of my TO-35's running earlier for some winter exercise. two of machines i believe have two stage clutch as pto stops when clutch is 1/2 way down. the other one is regular clutch. wish i had a pto driven implement to really test them.

Welding man
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: last dumb question of the year (maybe) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My way of looking at it, if it has a two stage clutch it will not stop turning when pushed half way down. The wheels will stop but the PTO will continue to turn if properly adjusted and will only stop when the pedal is almost all the way down.

Dave Sherburne, NY
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: last dumb question of the year (maybe) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm with Dieseltech

Dieseltech
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: last dumb question of the year (maybe) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Welding man is spot on, Pushing the pedal through the first stage stops the transmission, PTO should still be running. PTO should only stop with the pedal all the way down through the second stage. 35s were built with both single stage and two stage clutch. DELUXE had two stage, SPECIAL were single stage only. If the two stage clutch had the PTO release bolts gap set too close that will release the PTO too early. .080 inch gap works best.

Richard L
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: last dumb question of the year (maybe) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

steve19438 in 1958 the Gas Deluxe and the Diesel Deluxe both could have been ordered at a reduced price with a single stage clutch. These were then listed as Gas Standard & Diesel Standard. Then the Gas Special did not have a tach. (or Tractometer.) So this shows there were Gas Special, Gas Standard, and Gas Deluxe in 1958. Also Diesel Standard and Diesel Deluxe. I did not see anything that showed if it went beyond 1958 but it could have I do not know. Not trying to confuse you but I believe you have a 1958 model of something. Maybe you have a Gas Standard?
1958 Deluxe, Standard & Special

steve19438
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: last dumb question of the year (maybe) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i do have a 58. SGF 179031 but it acts like a two stage. like i said i wish i had a pto driven implement to really test these machines.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Harry Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters