Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

splitter hydraulics once more

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
firhead
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: splitter hydraulics once more Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm getting there but have a lot to learn. Am I to assume that the remote - as pictured - has an outflow port, the one on
the right with the notch, and an inflow port, the one on the left, and that I should connect the outflow port to the "IN"
port on the splitter valve? I do now have the closed center valve installed and plumbed on the splitter, but am having
trouble connecting it to the tractor.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: splitter hydraulics once more Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Either port can be in or out, ends are identical, just swap connections if lever does not go the way you want on the dash.

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: splitter hydraulics once more Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You have not been listening. The front pump will cavitate with high flow loads because the SCV's return the oil to the transmission case.

SVcummins
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: splitter hydraulics once more Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can hook it up ether way if when you move the lever the log splitter works backward from what you want swap the hoses on the tractor .

firhead
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: splitter hydraulics once more Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have been listening but perhaps not understanding. How does my choice of ports coming out of the remote effect
cavitation in the front pump by way of inducing high flow loads?

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: splitter hydraulics once more Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have you not been reading the past 15 years of ytmag posts ? How do you think oil gets to the pump?

Larry in WNY
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: splitter hydraulics once more Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Once the hoses are connected you need to use a strap or bungee to hold the lever open to get flow to the splitter valve. Splitters run better with a separate hydraulic pump either on the PTO or powered by a small gas engine. You need a separate oil tank to do that. I've heard running it from the tractor hydro pump can be rough on the pump. We did it that way until changing over to a PTO driven pump. External pumps have more flow and pushing power.

Larry

Tech 7
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: splitter hydraulics once more Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Remind me again what model tractor we are dealing with.

firhead
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: splitter hydraulics once more Reply to specific post Reply with quote

firhead
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: splitter hydraulics once more Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Larry
You've got it. I have found that bungeeing the lever open does the trick, and I also found I've got to keep my rpm up a little. Instinct tells me that using 70 horse to split a log is not the ideal; I hear that engine grunt a little and I'm thinking - wait, like you say, my neighbor's doing this with a Briggs and Stratton. Am I just moving an excessive amount of fluid through the system for the scope of the job? I mean the pressure we're dealing with here is the same, right - in the neighborhood of 2500 psi. Is there an electrical analogy to all this? Thanks.

Cliff

firhead
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: splitter hydraulics once more Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Larry
You've got it. I have found that bungeeing the lever open does the trick, and I also found I've got to keep my rpm up a little. Instinct tells me that using 70 horse to split a log is not the ideal; I hear that engine grunt a little and I'm thinking - wait, like you say, my neighbor's doing this with a Briggs and Stratton. Am I just moving an excessive amount of fluid through the system for the scope of the job? I mean the pressure we're dealing with here is the same, right - in the neighborhood of 2500 psi. Is there an electrical analogy to all this? Thanks.

Cliff

firhead
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: splitter hydraulics once more Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey buickanddeere -take it easy. I've have NOT read the last 15 years of ytmag. I'm sure you are infinitely more
knowledgeable about this stuff than I am. Haven't been around it and am just coming to this forum to learn. In fact, still
trying to manage my posts properly.

cannonball
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: splitter hydraulics once more Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What Buick is trying to say to you is the trans pump will not keep up with front pump..If I remember right you have two lines that had a loader hooked to them, put a closed center valve on splitter and hoop up high pressure to in and fliter cover to out...Tractor must be not running to hook up and unhook..I split with a 2840 that I hooked up to use a home made splitter on..works good...you can run off remotes but you will get intermittent movement..

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: splitter hydraulics once more Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-cannonball wrote:
(quoted from post at 08:09:02 12/30/17) What Buick is trying to say to you is the trans pump will not keep up with front pump.

I think whether trans pump can maintain enough flow while splitting with splitter plugged into scv breakaway coupler would depend on size of cylinder on splitter & speed desired of splitter operation.

Yes returning splitter valve oil to ported filter cover or rockshaft return line would be the best way.

Tech 7
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: splitter hydraulics once more Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What will make this work really well, with no oil heating or pump cavitating is a selective control valve return oil kit, part #AR71945. If you need more help e-mail me.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters