Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

splitter hydraulics once more

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SVcummins
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: splitter hydraulics once more Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just looked this part up and it says it?s a wiring harness ?

Tech 7
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: splitter hydraulics once more Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes I saw that.....some of this stuff has got mixed up when putting it on line.....there is nothing electrical about it, just plumbing. If its no longer available a regular hyd hose with proper fittings will route the return oil to the filter base, directly into the charge circuit for the front pump.

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: splitter hydraulics once more Reply to specific post Reply with quote

IMHO if this photo which firhead posted earlier of is of firhead's tractor all he needs to do is attach pressure(in) hose of log splitter valve to "male tip" in photo & return(out) hose of splitter valve to "female breakaway coupler" then start engine & split wood IE nothing more to buy

Tech 7
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: splitter hydraulics once more Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the pic. Yes that will do the job perfectly! I did the same thing to my BIL's tractor after is cousin
announced that "John Deere hydraulics are no good"

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: splitter hydraulics once more Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tx Jim wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:21:17 12/30/17)
CVPost-cannonball wrote:
(quoted from post at 08:09:02 12/30/17) What Buick is trying to say to you is the trans pump will not keep up with front pump.

I think whether trans pump can maintain enough flow while splitting with splitter plugged into scv breakaway coupler would depend on size of cylinder on splitter & speed desired of splitter operation.

Yes returning splitter valve oil to ported filter cover or rockshaft return line would be the best way.

Tried it. Cavities the pump and makes the hoses jump on both the 2355 and the 1640.

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: splitter hydraulics once more Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: splitter hydraulics once more Reply to specific post Reply with quote

buickanddeere wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:29:21

Tried it. Cavities the pump and makes the hoses jump on both the 2355 and the 1640.

Maybe the internal seal is blown on the closed center conversion plug on spitter valve?? Laughing

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: splitter hydraulics once more Reply to specific post Reply with quote

. Checked , no return flow when controlled are at mid position.
Splitter has a 5” ram .

firhead
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: splitter hydraulics once more Reply to specific post Reply with quote

OK - this is interesting. I'm up and splitting out of one of the remotes - if I keep my rpm up around 1500, nothing
shudders, cylinder cycles, nothing seems weird. But you advise to make things more efficient and/or less strain on the
system, I hook up splitter valve in/outs as you advised, into the old loader ports down by the filter cover. What am I
bypassing (or adding) to the circuit to make this work better? I see references to a 'front pump'. This implies some other
pump. Just need some more basics to get this in my head. Is there online schematics of this stuff available that anyone
could suggest? Thanks one and all for your ongoing help.

firhead
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: splitter hydraulics once more Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yeah, I get it. The whole thing works better when it's right side up.

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: splitter hydraulics once more Reply to specific post Reply with quote

IMHO Simple answer is if splitter operates to your satisfaction with no shudder or delay then I'll suggest to leave it attached to breakaway coupler the way it is.

With factory scv without return oil attached to ported filter cover as shown by photo Bob posted return oil normally gets back to hyd reservoir by being dumped in the side of rockshaft(3 pt) housing. By routing return hyd oil to hyd ported filter cover oil gets sent to frt pump at a higher rate than if simply dumped back to reservoir. Trans pump oils trans,operates hyd pto & hyd hi-lo then supplies excess oil to frt hyd pump. Frt hyd pump can't suck oil but must have oil supplied to it.

DONMYEIL
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: splitter hydraulics once more Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Make sure the splitter hose ends are good. They will go bad too. That system will work a 3 1/2 " cyl's. with no problem If you have the BIG hyd pump and some rpms . I once put a 4.0 cu.in hyd pump on an J.D.300 loader tractor because while loading lime the pump couldn't keep up with the speed the cyl's . when dumping . Run engine abt.300 rpm will help if you are pushing a huge ram.

firhead
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: splitter hydraulics once more Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I do have 31/2 cylinder and if I don't keep rpm up, yeah, I get shudder in the hoses and a somewhat jumpy cylinder cycle. Get my rpm's up around 1500, everything smooths out. I guess what is un-intuitive to people not familiar with all this is thinking Whoa, I have 70 hp here - it should do the job at a slow idle no matter how it's plumbed. But I have more homework to do to get the dynamics of this circuitry down.

firhead
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: splitter hydraulics once more Reply to specific post Reply with quote

TX Jim thanks for laying this out for me. Good explanation. I guess I'll operate as is for a bit until I get longer hose
to implement your suggestion.
I'm sure everybody's trying to tell me the same thing in a way, and I appreciate it.

Larry in WNY
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: splitter hydraulics once more Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm not sure what your tractor is rated for flow, but smaller hydro pumps on modern wood splitters are made for the changing loads during splitting using little fuel with a small gas engine.

I changed my splitter from tractor hydraulics to gas engine with a pump from Northern Tools. I also got a tank and new valve so it will return on its own while I grab another piece. I use a 8.5 hp Briggs from my wood chipper that sits most of the year. It took some welding to mount everything but I'm very happy with how it works. It works too good as I broke the wedge off the I-beam this year. The weld held for 40 years.
Larry

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters