Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Starter trouble to30

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gtmci84s
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Starter trouble to30 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So when I jump it with the truck, should I hook the jumper cables directly to the starter, or put them on the tractor battery?

dsm137
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Starter trouble to30 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ran into similar problems with a couple of mine. Went through every protocol, bench test, the whole 9 yards. Same thing.
Wound up replacing them. BE CAREFUL when buying. Had good luck with the ones from YT and the ones made by Atlantic. Sometimes you may have to change the nose cone to get it in, but overall ok.
Sometimes it pays to just junk all the old wires and switches, the starter too.
Chains or a rope and a tug to jump it might help the gettin it in the barn issue.

gtmci84s
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Starter trouble to30 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jumped it with the truck and it spins! I don't think the battery has been taking a charge... Played with the battery charger a bit and it seems to be charging it now. Also noticed that the wire going to the starter from the switch had a crack in it, and I think was arching on the bell housing. Now I'm thinking the timing is off from removing the distributor to pull the starter... She pops and floods but won't fire. Once it's running, I'm going to move it into the garage and replace all of the wireing that I haven't yet replaced, which is most of it.

Thanks for the help!

Jeremy in DE
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Starter trouble to30 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

gtmci84s wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:35:46 12/30/17)
Now I'm thinking the timing is off from removing the distributor to pull the starter...

If everything is still original, then the starter can come out without removing the distributor. I know it doesn't look like it at first glance, but the starter will slide right out once both bolts are removed (and the wire).

Now, if the starter or distributor are not original, maybe not....

John Deere D
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Starter trouble to30 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I finely "CLEANED" and changed my Ferguson 6 Volt Starter leads as per this picture I located on the Internet. Now the STARTER spins the Engine perfectly:

John Deere D
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Starter trouble to30 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

OK second try:

No battery connection to any part of the DASH:

I finely "CLEANED" and changed my Ferguson 6 Volt Starter leads as per this picture I located on the Internet. Now the STARTER spins the Engine perfectly:

Bob..

phil(va)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Starter trouble to30 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Put one cable on starter top connection and touch other cable to good ground, but make sure tractor is out of gear first. Don't hook 12
volt battery to your 6 volt battery or it will damage the ignition.

marloweg
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter trouble to30 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

are you using the gear shift lever starter switch [oem] if so that switch will get burnt and not carry the currant

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Harry Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters