Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

MM G1000 Wheatland LPG

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MinniMan
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: MM G1000 Wheatland LPG Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Since I have finished rebuilding our White 2-105 and with these long -36F winter nights I have been thinking about another project. I have a 68 (I think that's the year) G1000 Wheatland (brown belly) LPG tractor and wondered if it would be worth restoring.
I know the engine is stuck but was in good condition as it had been re-bored a few years before it was parked. Tires are shot of course.
How are parts such as gaskets etc to get? I see them listed on here. I don't think it would take much machining to get it back into running order other than cleaning up the pistons, new rings and do the valves. It was running when parked just poor rubber. Is it worth the effort?
It doesn't have the PTO so I really don't have a use for it for actual field work and LPG fuel isn't popular around here other than for Barbeques. Its sitting there and I hate to see it left till it goes to the scrap dealer one day when I am not around.
I guess I'm just dreaming about a warm weather project. Something to get my hands oily.

Comments both for and against are always welcome. I know it's not a yellow belly or Vista just a common model.

MinniMan

jr1983
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: MM G1000 Wheatland LPG Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's really up to you. If you want to do if who really
cares what anyone else thinks. If all that was at a
show was really rare ones how big a show would we
have? My grandpa's g900 was stuck. If it hadn't had
10000 hours on it before hand i could have got by
with rings. It was .020 over. The blocks were .060 at
least. Three used jugs and a ring set later it runs
great. As with any restoration you will have more in it
than its worth.

1206SWMO
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: MM G1000 Wheatland LPG Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Go for it...Welters Farm Supply at Verona,MO will have everything that you need and they ship world wide..

carvel minne farmer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: MM G1000 Wheatland LPG Reply to specific post Reply with quote

my vote is save it minneman, one trick you might want to try before tearing the engine down is to pull the injectors and pour as much type a atf. in each cylinder as you can get in, reinstall the injectors and just let that sit and work on the rings pistons etc. the longer you leave it the better. I picked up 2 mm m-5's this summer and went out 4 weeks before we started them and poured a quart or more in each cylinder and just let it soak, the tractor had been sitting in the poplar trees for 15 years without running. after putting in fresh fuel, new battery, new wiring, new fuel line and filter we pulled out the plugs and spun it over no problem with the plugs out and holding a big rag over the plug holes very little oil came out, reinstalled plugs, switch on hit the starter and it was running on the first revalution. give that trick a try minneman.

carvel minne farmer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: MM G1000 Wheatland LPG Reply to specific post Reply with quote

just dawned on me no injectors on a lgp model Embarassed just pull the plugs minneman and give that a try.

MinniMan
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: MM G1000 Wheatland LPG Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well you guys were all it took to twist my arm. My heart was leaning towards hearing that bark she used to make when you opened the throttle.

So now just have to be patient till this -40 weather leaves. I'll give her a drink of ATF once the weather improves and leave her sit till spring. Could be 4-5 months in this part of the world.

Thanks guys I'll keep you posted.

Happy New Year to all on the form and all the best for 2018.

MinniMan

molinegb
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: MM G1000 Wheatland LPG Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Had a 66 g1000 lp like you have. Motor ran real well but ring and pinion were bad. Have
little experience with Lp's. Had couple U302's that were stuck. Only took couple of days to
unstick. Thinking it is some kind of residue from the propane. Spark plugs can really seize
in LP motors so be careful removing them. Was advised to use anti seize on threads by a
mechanic.

MinniMan
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: MM G1000 Wheatland LPG Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks GB. Yes I well remember the plugs would appear very dry on the threads when I used to pull them. We had a M670 and this G1000 both LPG tractors over the years. So I'm sure the regulator will need cleaning if not a kit having sat for so long. But I will try to do as little tear down as possible as it was a running engine when I quite using it.
May also pour ATF in the manifold for the valves as well since they could be seized up too.
Sent you a text but not sure if you have the same number or not asking about the LPG you were having troubles getting to start for ya.
Happy New Year.

molinegb
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: MM G1000 Wheatland LPG Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Lp on 670 not creating vacuum to open diaphram according to what I was reading. Don't text.
Nice day to be working on it! Too cold to do anything.

carvel minne farmer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: MM G1000 Wheatland LPG Reply to specific post Reply with quote

where are you located minneman, it's only -30 here this morning, Miami beach t shirt weather Laughing NOT I'm in carvel west of Edmonton.

MinniMan
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: MM G1000 Wheatland LPG Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm SW MB. It was -39 here this am with a -49 Wind Chill. Supposed to be the same here again tonight. Shame you are missing winter up your way Carvel minne farmer. hahaha

carvel minne farmer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: MM G1000 Wheatland LPG Reply to specific post Reply with quote

yes was -34 here yesterday with a minus 45 windchill yesterday, welcome to global warming minniman Laughing all the best in 2018 your way in sw Manitoba, hopefully it warms up soon wer'e forcast to warm up next week, hopefully get my m5 in the shop and start the long list of repairs and upgrades. worked on my ih-100 mower today, body work straightening bent tin pto shield sanded down and primed. like gb. said a warm heated shop the only place to be on a -40 day!

MinniMan
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: MM G1000 Wheatland LPG Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well I don't have the luxury of a warm heated shop yet hence having to wait for warm spring days to play outside with my Minnie. However it is in the works. My son and I are converting a machine shed into a heated work shop 30'X60'x14' and it takes a lot of $'s but is well under way and hopefully will be completed by next winter. We like to pay as we go so takes longer.

Not having a heated shop is why it took me a long time to finish the White 2-105 but it performed well on his baler this fall so we're both happy.

He has a G1000 yellow belly diesel tucked away in the other shed which is his pride and joy. A play toy for summer tractor pulls and just joy riding on nice days.

My G1000 sitting in the weeds last summer. Sorry forgot to turn my cell sideways when I took those pics so they're 1/4 turn off.

Our 2-105 together and its first trip out of the shop.

1206SWMO
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: MM G1000 Wheatland LPG Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just bought a G-705 MM LP burner and believe me the spark plugs are frozen in it..

carvel minne farmer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: MM G1000 Wheatland LPG Reply to specific post Reply with quote

nice looking fleet minneman, I really like the g-1000 hooked to the cultivator, like you I bought a 40 x 64 pole shed from out locale u.f.a. in 2004, they put them on sale every spring, I paid $14,500. for mine and it was another $8000. for the crew to come out and put it up. it took me another 5 years working nights and weekends to get it finished, cement floor, wiring, plumbing, insulation, and metal sheeting inside. all in I probably have very close to $100,000. and that's with me doing most of the work. but worth every dime.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Minneapolis Moline All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters