Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Trouble with new tractormeter.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jack gray
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Trouble with new tractormeter. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Any ideas. I put a new tractormeter and cable on my 1958 801 powermaster. At low rev. Meter almost pegs. When I idle up it do'es peg meter. Also needle is very jumpy although tractor runs very smooth. Meter I used is C3NN17360NAA WITH CABLE B9NN17365B thanks for any advice..

mite-help
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble with new tractormeter. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would remove cable, [tach if necessary] to give the input drive a little twirl with my fingers--right direction of course, shouldn't go crazy with movement- if tach seems ok, check cable for kinks, tight circle from drive. I like to pull new cables out of housing & ck lube--some are too dry. lube sparingly close to tach.

Jack gray
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble with new tractormeter. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks i will check that cable.

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble with new tractormeter. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Does sound like the cable is binding in the housing. You can disconnect the cable from the tach, start the engine, the cable should turn smooth and steady, no noise or jumping. The housing needs to be run as straight as possible, no sharp bends, away from heat sources.

On the back of the tachometer there is a round, usually brass, cylinder that the cable turns. The cylinder should turn with minimal effort and be perfectly smooth. If it is binding, the tach will jump as you describe. Also when the cable is inserted into the back of the tach, the cable housing should fit flush up to the back of the tach without force. If it does not fit flush, either the cable is not fully inserted (drive end or tach end), or the core is too long.

Jack gray
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble with new tractormeter. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Steve@Advance wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:36:20 12/28/17) Does sound like the cable is binding in the housing. You can disconnect the cable from the tach, start the engine, the cable should turn smooth and steady, no noise or jumping. The housing needs to be run as straight as possible, no sharp bends, away from heat sources.

On the back of the tachometer there is a round, usually brass, cylinder that the cable turns. The cylinder should turn with minimal effort and be perfectly smooth. If it is binding, the tach will jump as you describe. Also when the cable is inserted into the back of the tach, the cable housing should fit flush up to the back of the tach without force. If it does not fit flush, either the cable is not fully inserted (drive end or tach end), or the core is too long.
i kinda thought I have 2 problems. The other being tach meter almost pegged when idle and pegs out when idle up at all. When I get back home tomorrow I'm going to check out cable better. Thsnks

KCTractors
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble with new tractormeter. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had one like that, new out of the box. The tach was no good.

Jack gray
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble with new tractormeter. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-KCTractors wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:06:27 12/28/17) I had one like that, new out of the box. The tach was no good.
that's what I'm thinking. If my cable checks out I'm gonna see about returning it. Thanks

mite-help
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble with new tractormeter. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

what I said--you say it so much better-----

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble with new tractormeter. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have tested tach's with an electric drill before. Drill RPM is listed on the ID tag. Hook it onto the tach and try it. The JD tach have a little brass part sticking out enough to lightly clamp the drill chuck on. If yours doesn't maybe use part of an old cable ? and then also try hooking it up with the new cable too.

Ragnarok
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble with new tractormeter. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've seen new tach cables that were a bit too long for the housing...can cause all sorts of weird tachometer issues. Try loosening one end or the other of the cable and see if it works better. A dry or binding cable can cause issues too

Jack gray
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble with new tractormeter. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ragnarok wrote:
(quoted from post at 08:00:15 12/30/17)
I've seen new tach cables that were a bit too long for the housing...can cause all sorts of weird tachometer issues. Try loosening one end or the other of the cable and see if it works better. A dry or binding cable can cause issues too
Thanks I will try that.

Jack gray
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble with new tractormeter. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jack gray wrote:
(quoted from post at 08:05:01 12/30/17)
Ragnarok wrote:
(quoted from post at 08:00:15 12/30/17)
Thanks I will try that.
i got to mess with my tractor today. Took my cable back off and lubed it.Checked connections. Tach running smooth now but still reading high. At my lowest idle which is real slow tach reading 1500rpm still pegs meter when highest rev. Book says idle speed 450-475rpm. Tach has to be bad ? Thanks for all the advice! This forum is awesome!!

Ragnarok
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble with new tractormeter. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Does the engine side of the tach cable screw onto some sort of adapter?...Does it have the proper adapter if so?

Jack gray
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble with new tractormeter. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

there is no adapter it hooks straight up.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble with new tractormeter. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What did you lube it with? In cold climates you should use only graphite powder.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Restoration and Repair Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters