Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

4020 Hard Starting

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
2510Paul
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: 4020 Hard Starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The 4020 I am working on to fix the steering problem I described earlier, it starts really hard, even at 60 F in my shop. We pulled and tested the batteries, good. Connections all look good.

The starter could be suspect, the owner had it worked on this last summer. The owner feels the shop he used is good and others I trust not so much. There was a post on a 3020 about starters. I think Tim S recommended a Starter. Tim S or anyone else, can you recommend a good starter for a 1967 4020?

Also, this 4020 was overhauled last winter, not me. It is putting out 110 HP. It smokes light blue smoke a lot, even when raking or just idling. Could the pump settings, e.g. fuel rate or timing contribute to hard starting? I would like the owner to take it to the local diesel shop to get tuned up but so far he is not interested.

Paul

pms
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 4020 Hard Starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is the starter dragging/engine not spinning fast enough?Or is engine spinning fast enough just not starting right away?
Paul

2510Paul
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 4020 Hard Starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The first. Paul

SVcummins
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 4020 Hard Starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Put a Dixie electric starter on my 3020 it is made in Canada

erskine2017
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 4020 Hard Starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"Connections All Look Good" has been the downfall of many who have electrical problems. The ONLY way to test connections and cables is with a VOLTMETER while the system is under load. The ONLY definitive way to check batteries is to charge them and take them to a shop that has a heavy duty carbon pile tester. The battery is loaded at half its CCA for 15 seconds and the voltage must not drop below 9.6 volts in order to pass.

tim s
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 4020 Hard Starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A Nipendenso starter is about the best,,and do you wiggle the steering wheel a bit when you start it,, this helps a lot too,,others will chime in and tell you to put a destroking valve on it,, but it's simpler to jiggle the steering wheel and you don't need to get back off the sea to deal with the valve... I use the little Iskra's a lot but the Nipp is better..

2510Paul
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 4020 Hard Starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tim, where do you get the Nipendenso starter? I will Google but any direction you can give would be appreciated. Paul

2510Paul
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 4020 Hard Starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I assume Denso is the same thing. Paul

tim s
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 4020 Hard Starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Any starter shop should be able to get you one..

2510Paul
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 4020 Hard Starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I should point out this 4020 has been converted to 12V. I have been looking through the JD Parts but voltage is not specified. I am assuming the earlier serial numbers (before 201,000) are 24v starters, e.g. TY6703) and those after are 12v starters. In the serial number range after 201,000 there are both Delco and Denso brands and many offerings.

My question is how do I know which 12v starter will fit this engine? This tractor is Serial Number T213R 148221R, 1967 Model. The number cast into the engine block is R40890R

Paul

SVcummins
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 4020 Hard Starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Abilene machine

JDEM
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: 4020 Hard Starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What does "star hard" mean? Cranking like it should and not firing? Or cranking too slow? BIG difference.

Denso or Delco spin the same speed. Denso is just a little more rugged.

What is the RPM at cranking and voltage AT the starter-power-post when cranking?

Do you have a hydraulic pump destroker and are you using it? Some 4020s would not hardly crank-over right when new without that destroker.

D-
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: 4020 Hard Starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Your starter looks like a 24V. The 12V
starters are longer. That 24V won't crank
as fast on 12V.
I would check injectors for that smoke problem.
Would affect starting also.

DONMYEIL
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: 4020 Hard Starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Check the timing and the SPEED ADVANCE for correct setting . If the steering is calling for oil ,the hyd. pump will load the starter causing it too not crank as fast . I suspect you have leaking or low pressure injectors .

JDEM
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: 4020 Hard Starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Steering problems often result in very hard and slow cranking and lots of burnt up starters. Install a $10 pump destroker and use it.

As far as the injection-pump goes and smoking all the time? Was the max delivery screw just turn in or were there other mods done to the pump? Have you checked the automatic fuel-timing advance that is supposed to advance timing as the RPMs go up?

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters