Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

The woodwright shop

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
larry@stinescorner
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: The woodwright shop Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just watched the show,,a guy named Roy Underhill,,had a guy on the show that carved a wood bowl with a Hatchet and some hand gouges,,It seems like a good show,I Enjoyed it.Anybody ever watch the show?

Steve in VA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The woodwright shop Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've watched it off and on for years. Roy is based in NC but at one time, I believe, he was instrumental in restoration work at Williamsburg. I have a couple of his books and always enjoyed them. I like the closing credits where he casts aside a chair he built but didn't like.

retired farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The woodwright shop Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did years ago when I still had a TV.

da.bees
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: The woodwright shop Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A person can learn from Roy. He's truly an artist as well as intertaining.

TomH in PA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The woodwright shop Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I watched it years ago. Fun to watch and makes you appreciate what it took to make furniture in days gone by, but it takes way more skill than I'll ever have.

Determined
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: The woodwright shop Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I used to watch every episode, very talented and did everything with primitive hand tools.

Was back in the mid 80s the last time I saw the show.
Had no idea he was still at it until I read your post and looked it up.

Jon Erickson
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The woodwright shop Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Woodwright Shop is a fun and interesting show, for sure. I try to watch it every week on local Public Broadcasting station from Appleton MN.

Cory Schmidt
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The woodwright shop Reply to specific post Reply with quote

All the time...when I catch it. I like the seeing the technique using the "wedge and edge" hand tools. Sometimes shows how some fancy details were made. Last episode I watched was a edge laminated oval inly type piece, the strips were only a 1/4 tall and maybe half as wide.

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: The woodwright shop Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As a professional woodworker I just find him silly. I could carve out a bowl by hand too but it could be done better and in a fraction of the time with a lathe.

kcm.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The woodwright shop Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Retired Farmer wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:53:00 12/30/17) Did years ago when I still had a TV.

Same here.

However, was thrilled when I looked up the show recently to find it was still being aired.

As mentioned, there are faster and more accurate ways to do woodworking these days. On that same thought, there are newer and more powerful tractors, so why would anyone want to keep old ones around? Wink

47fivewindow
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The woodwright shop Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think it's fun to see how thing were made without electricity. I love my hand planes, but I sure would miss the band and table saw. I will say he has the sharpest tools I have ever seen. If he ever starts counterfeiting antiques the experts will be in trouble.

old-9
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The woodwright shop Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We have a guy that makes wood bowls like that. He does demonstrations at our local power show. He also sells them finished, Really could not do on a lathe as the shape of the wood and grain determines the bowl.
show

rufus80
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: The woodwright shop Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The show started in 1979. Been watching for over 30 years. Was instrumental in the colonial Williamsburg restoration.

Cory Schmidt
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The woodwright shop Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I kinda agree with you Stephen, it is easier and faster with modern power tools...however for some things, say restorations for period (before modern tooling) correct details, or historical demos and research one can watch the show and learn how use the hand tools and make the details correctly...Not to mention cases where only the hand tool can do the job.

farmerjohn
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The woodwright shop Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Speed and ease with new tools is not the goal here, it is the art of the craft. Admiring and appreciating an item hand made by a skilled craftsman, sometimes done by forgotten methods, cannot be duplicated by machines.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters