Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

The woodwright shop

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The woodwright shop Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When I watch him I can never figure out how someone so unorganized and scatter brained( not the right words maybe but closest I know )can do such good work. I actually can't believe how fast a lot of those old tools can get stuff done.
There is another fellow Tommy Mac ? he uses some power saws but also does a lot of hand work too. He uses planes and chisels a lot.

MSD
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The woodwright shop Reply to specific post Reply with quote

He must have same really sharp tools the way he works the wood.

bruster
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The woodwright shop Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Though some who think of themselves as "wood working craftsmen" they should pull their nose down an enjoy the show for what it it, educational
Roy works with only hand or foot powered tools and machines, and creates things that you have to appriciate, since thrre is almost a power tool to do EVERYTHING, so the nuance of plane angle or making timber connections with pegged tenons is giving me insight to easy the "good old days" were lol!

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The woodwright shop Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I remember watching him years ago!

Didn't know it still came on, will have to watch for it.

Very talented man!

Cory Schmidt
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The woodwright shop Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The other show Mike M mentioned(with Tommy) is called Rough Cut....there is also American Woodshop and New Yankee Workshop(Norm Abrams) for woodworking programs I can think of on PBS....I watch them all as much as I can catch em.

SweetFeet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: The woodwright shop Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yep, we watch it fairly frequently. That guy can do woodworking for sure.

Interesting to watch him turn things on his foot powered lathe. He burns up some calories while working on his projects.

old bc
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: The woodwright shop Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Been watching it for years.

NCWayne
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The woodwright shop Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Friend of mine in Chapel Hill got to meet him, and sold some wood to him one time years ago. He said he was a really nice, as well as knowledgeable guy.

MarkB_MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: The woodwright shop Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's filmed in North Carolina and I saw it when I lived there in the eighties. I haven't seen any recent episodes, but found it fascinating to learn how things were done pre-industrial revolution. He not only shows how to makes things with primitive tools, he shows how to make the tools themselves, which is often even more interesting.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: The woodwright shop Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I always watched it plus the other old house shows but a couple of years ago the local carrier thought they were better off going I believe with dish and not I cannot get that channel.

gtractorfan
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: The woodwright shop Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I watch it when I can. Sometimes it's surprising how fast he can do things by hand. But for other things it would be hard to stick to hand work when you know those would be easier and faster with power tools. Reminds me of amish using horses while seeing a modern farmer doing more in a few minutes than he does all day.

Southern Ray
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: The woodwright shop Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have you really noticed his hands? He's earned his badge.

Dave H (MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: The woodwright shop Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Longtime fan. Detroit PBS stopped showing it years ago but the PBS app on the Firestick lets me watch it now. I have a couple of his books too. The thing about Roy is that he starts and finishes a project in 30 minutes without cuts regardless of injuries, bleeding or otherwise, or any other "issues" that might arise.

kcm.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: The woodwright shop Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good news -- There's a "Woodwright's Shop" channel on Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChOmkiEvq0xIxhWcP5pTPoA/about

The above link is to the "about" page. If I understand it correctly, Youtube created this particular channel. There's over 200 videos there; many full-length episodes.

PaGlenn
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The woodwright shop Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I saw the same show on chan.12 PBS yesterday. They were using a few choppers I haven't seen before. The show has nice demo's on the use of the primitive tools.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters