Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Any ice fisherman out there?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
big tee
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:29 am    Post subject: Any ice fisherman out there? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This happened in Wisc. I went once-It was cloudy when we went out in the morning but the sun came out and the ice started booming, said" what the hell was that?" That was enough for me.---Tee

M Nut
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Any ice fisherman out there? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yep, but I don?t go out on early ice, and only on roads that are maintained by resorts or locals who know a lake. Venturing off on your own can lead to bad situations. With the temps we?ve had this week, and what is still to come, I?ll look at putting my house out first or second weekend of January, which is about average time for me.

1970-1655
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Any ice fisherman out there? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Several years back my work had me in Saginaw Michigan a lot. One time we saw a large ice burg floating out In Midland Bay. And it had several snow machines and even a pickup truck. DNR told them the people would be rescued but they had to leave everything behind. That included fishing equipment, everything. Then they were fined for water pollution when the vehicles sank. It was funny for us because we had no money in this, just entertainment.

old popper
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Any ice fisherman out there? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I dropped through up to my arm pits once when I was 11 years old. I am 72 now and haven't been on the ice since. I don't care if it is 3 feet thick, I will not try it.

fixerupper
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Any ice fisherman out there? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I used to do quite a lot of ice fishing but lately it hasn’t happened. I took dad out there once and he was nervous the whole time we were on the ice. It didn’t help the situation when the ice warmed in the middle of the day and started groaning and cracking. Last weekend my son got the old folding ice shack out and cleaned it up. His girls are excited about using it. When I made that shack many years ago I didn’t realize my grandkids would be using it some day. I don’t go out there if the ice is thinner than a foot.

Russ from MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Any ice fisherman out there? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I used to ice fish a lot, but now we spend the winters down south, so very little anymore. It seems most winters are getting shorter, I used to always be out by Dec. first, but now it's rarely safe by the 15th. There have been a lot of drownings in MN this fall, makes me glad I'm not there. One problem is no one walks out anymore, everybody has to have an ATV, and they are getting bigger, so they just drive out until they go through. I always used to walk out at first and check frequently with my chisel.

JD Seller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Any ice fisherman out there? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I will second not going out on the ice after being on it when it started "booming". You fall in the water in this kind of weather your dead period.

You get asked questions when you buy life insurance. One of the things they do not like is if your a small plane pilot. I think if you ice fish or ride your snowmobile on the ice it is more dangerous to me.

oliverplow
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Any ice fisherman out there? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use to go quite a bit, but not for a few years now. I would walk out once the ice was 4" think and drive on over a foot. I would never break a new path though. You get use to the ice popping. When you get out of the pickup and you feel it shift, that can scare the you know what out of you! But you get use to that too.

Goose
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Any ice fisherman out there? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don?t know how true it is, but several years ago I heard a story about a couple of guys who wanted to go duck hunting on a lake that was frozen over. One was driving a brand new Ford Expedition, hadn?t even gotten plates on it yet. They drove out onto the frozen lake, and their plan was to throw a stick of dynamite out onto the ice to blow a hole in the ice for ducks to land.

They had their dog with them. They threw the stick of dynamite out onto the ice and the dog, who was trained to retrieve things, just naturally ran out, picked up the dynamite, and began running back with it. They guys didn?t know how to stop the dog, so they began trying to shoot it. The dog ran for cover, and the nearest cover was ? under the Ford Expedition.

The remains of the dog and the remains of the Expedition both wound up at the bottom of the lake. And the guy hadn?t even made the first payment on the Expedition.

I have no idea if it?s true or not, but it made a good story.

Russ from MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Any ice fisherman out there? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have usually had fish houses big enough for a bunk, and occasionally stay all night, one night I was sound asleep and the ice shifted, like an earthquake! It was probably 2 feet thick, so no danger of drowning, but still a scare!

TomH in PA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Any ice fisherman out there? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When I was growing up we ice fished on Lake St. Clair a lot. The wind usually kept the ice clear of snow so we could skate out, but we drove my mother's Volkswagen out on it once (didn't tell her).

You get used to the cracking and booming. Every year there were a few ice shanties and occasionally a pickup truck stranded when the cracks opened up in the Spring.

jon f mn
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Any ice fisherman out there? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There are many versions of that story around and I suspect they started with a true story somewhere. There are any stories like it that are true. When I was still in the welding business I had a customer bring in a new chev 1 ton 4x4 cab and chassis that I put a snow plow and dump bed on. On the day he took it home he went to plow his pond for his kids to skate on. He later brought me a pic where all you could see were the cab lights shining up through the water.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Any ice fisherman out there? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I always figured I was not worthy to walk on water.

dr sportster
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Any ice fisherman out there? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Think that guy believes in global warming ?

jm.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Any ice fisherman out there? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

O K we had this conversation about the little symbols in your post. In the one above on my screen ever time you use the coma I get the little funny symbol. Still think it is you keyboard.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters