Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Any ice fisherman out there?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adirondack case guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Any ice fisherman out there? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We have one less in this area. He went out on thin ice a couple of weeks back and fell thru and drowned.
Loren

coshoo
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Any ice fisherman out there? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Apostrophe, not comma. I've seen it on posts, too, but not sure whose.

Crazy Horse
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Any ice fisherman out there? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The arena manager at the local inside hockey facility was an ice fishing fanatic. Some said he applied for the job just because it was so convenient. I can't begin to tell you how many hockey games he messed up by chopping a hole in the ice and dropping in a line. He never caught a fish but the stubborn Bu--er wouldn't quit. One of the part-time guys at the rink solved the problem for the community by inadvertently running him over with the Zamboni.

4520BW
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Any ice fisherman out there? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am no big fan of it but my middle girls loves it. I slide the jon boat out for her it set in even if it's thick ice. Me and dad went years ago and the ice had 2 inches of water on top of the ice but we sure caught a lot of fish. I always enjoyed taking the 4 wheeler out and doing doughnuts...prob will do it again soon as it's a little nicer out.

jeffcat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Any ice fisherman out there? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just as long as he had payed for it? What a twit.

in-too-deep
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Any ice fisherman out there? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Drove out on Itasca yesterday. Over a foot of good clear ice. Didn't sink anything but minnows.

pete 23
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Any ice fisherman out there? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I quit ice fishing about 17 years ago. Got stuck coming off the lake at the landing. Had to make a run at it to get up and on third try, the pickup rear slid off the ramp. It was about 10 o'clock at night. Wife and I walked for 1.7 miles before a GOOD farmer picked us up. We had about another quarter mile to get to the bait dealer. He went home, started his Case front wheel assist tractor in that cold weather. Him and his son hauled us back to lake and pulled us out. I had $40 bucks in my billfold and tried to give it to him. He finally took a $20. Wife always calls him our guardian angel when ever we drive past his farm. Never saw him again.

The ice usually cracks loud when it is actually freezing. The groaning , well that can be ice shifting from weight of snow, vehicles or thawing. Ice is never really safe, just safer some times than others. There is a ATV at the bottom of our local lake here now but driver got out ok.

jeffcat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Any ice fisherman out there? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I can't get over the crazy people. All you need is a cordless drill and a really long paddle bit or some such have a bent coat hanger and check how deep the ice is. What really gets me is when you see a cow or horse fall through a farm pond. You ain't a duck!! You fall through and you are Sunk!

pete 23
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Any ice fisherman out there? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Another story in town here is that the local Dr., couple other guys and the pharmacist went ice fishing. Nice fishing shack so very comfortable. The pharmacist not much into fishing but liked to tip a few. They drill his hole but not all the way to bottom of ice. It will get like three feet deep or more here. Then they fill it with water, rig up and bait his hook, set bobber. He never gets a bite all night. I don't know if he figured it out or not. I knew them all very well.

Another time, we sold him, the pharmacist , a woods mower for his Ford tractor as he had a little play farm outside of town for stress relief. He sat most of the afternoon , watching me work on that and told me it amazed him, how I could put all that stuff together and make it work. Here he is. A successful pharmacist, owned his own store, says all he does is count pills. Unreal.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Any ice fisherman out there? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it is cold enough to make ice I do not want to be outside if I don't have to be.

ss55
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Any ice fisherman out there? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is he the guy that would cover one of the goal nets with a tarp and then spear pike while a game was being played? One of the great things about ice fishing is the stories.

Crazy Horse
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Any ice fisherman out there? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, that fellow you refer to was his brother or maybe a cousin ..... ha !!!

TomH in PA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Any ice fisherman out there? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"says all he does is count pills"

Don't believe that for a minute. Pharmacy is one of the most complicated professions there is; most doctors don't even understand it very well and depend on the pharmacists to cover them.

pete 23
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Any ice fisherman out there? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Aaaa that was my point. He had vast knowledge.

Doug Wi
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Any ice fisherman out there? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Go to "Burnettwire" for a story on how to retrieve a sunken vehicle. Guys got out but just barely

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters