Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

550 Cockshutt.....

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
centash
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: 550 Cockshutt..... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

....graces the January page of my Classic Tractor calendar.Isn't this the one rrlund wants? This is an Oliver clone, different from the 550 row crop built in Canada, right???
Ben

coshoo
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: 550 Cockshutt..... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That is correct- actually, the paint is the only difference from the 550. I suppose someone could just repaint and decal a 550. I don't think they kept track of serial numbers when they did it.

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: 550 Cockshutt..... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Very few of them,but I thought the ones that did exist used this color scheme.

rusty6
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: 550 Cockshutt..... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, that is not the picture I was expecting when the title said 550 Cockshutt. Ours here were real Canadian built Cockshutts. Just like the bigger 560 and 570. Not sure if I ever saw one of those little Oliver builts around here.

tomturkey
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: 550 Cockshutt..... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I suppose someone handy with photoshop or paint programs could make those tractors whatever color they wanted. I'd be interested in seeing one with green tinwork and cast. White checkerboard grill guard and red rims. Any one handy enough to give that a try. just imagineing lol. Both of those tractors are beautiful. gobble

rusty6
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: 550 Cockshutt..... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not color but here is an ad with our Canadian built 550 Cockshutt pulling a pto combine back about 1960.

JOCCO
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 550 Cockshutt..... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

RR wonder if there was a early and late version that grill is like post 1964. Found out there was a cockshutt version of the Moline jet star 3!!! Remember I always wanted to paint one of these 550's yellow like a Moline!!! happy new year.

DoubleR
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 550 Cockshutt..... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Rusty's picture is like the 550 Cockshutt we had back in the sixties. I didn't know they made a utility model like a 550 Oliver. We also had a 550 Oliver at the same time. The Oliver was the better of the two as far as I was concerned even though it as a utility as opposed to being a Row Crop model like the Cockshutt. They had about the same amount of power but no comparison between the two other than that, totally different tractors.

Neil Grant
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 550 Cockshutt..... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would not trade my Cockshutt 550 for 2 Oliver 550s. One just needs to read the Nebraska tests to see why. The Oliver pulls 74.6 percent of its weight, the Cockshutt 84.6 percent of its weight. All the 500 series performed excellent at Nebraska. The 550 was right up there with the best tractors of all time I think. The 550 showed better tractive efficiency than a caterpillar on tracks. It pulled more, weight less, had less power than the 40 and 50 Cockshutts and many others. If I wanted to develop the perfect tractor I would start with a 550.

casecollectorsc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 550 Cockshutt..... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Couple of neighbors had 550 Cockshutts. My uncle bought a brand new 560 Cockshutt. Remember working for him and listening to a small
transistor radio while using the diesel. Had a whine in 3rd gear like the 40 Dad had at one time.

SPMN
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 550 Cockshutt..... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here's a like colored Cockshutt Oliver made 550 that was at the Oliver summer show in Platte City, Kansas several years ago

flying belgian
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 550 Cockshutt..... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So that lever on the right side coming up next to steering wheel. What would that be for? rrlund has a picture below that does not have that lever.

Destroked 450
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 550 Cockshutt..... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My granddad bought a 550 Oliver new in the early 60's, a cousin aquired it many years later after granddad had passed.
He has it in his shop now to restore and after locating the ID plate he found that it's a Cockshutt, he's also found red paint under the Oliver green.
It appears the tractor was repainted when new with Oliver decals added.

He's not sure if he wants to restore it as the green Oliver granddad bought new or in Cockshutt colors as the name plate implies.

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: 550 Cockshutt..... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It was an optional PTO lever instead of having it back by the seat.

rustyplow
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: 550 Cockshutt..... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here's another red one. Badge on the front and the serial tag says white. Never have found out if it is a 550 or a 2 44. Guess I really don't care. It is what it is. And no, we don't want to let Mr lund have one. He'll just paint it green. OK, lighten up. That's a funny ya'll.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters