Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Identity and brand?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhinomd
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Identity and brand? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Trying to figure out what I have so I can possibly get bearings replaced. I've took most apart to restore it and I will pull with atv if possible to get fixed.

Rhinomd
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Identity and brand? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Can't figure how to upload a picture.

Rhinomd
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Identity and brand? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

picture

RM-MN
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Identity and brand? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What kind of bearings did you find in there when you took it apart? I'd guess either wood or cast iron.

Rhinomd
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Identity and brand? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There was nothing in the housings. Not a single piece of metal or wood left. I can get more pictures as I have took one side apart to try and find out what I need.

Rhinomd
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Identity and brand? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Housing

JD Seller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Identity and brand? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If your wanting to use it and do not care if it is period correct you can easily install new bearings. Take your axles and get pillow block bearings that will fit the axles. Then you can usually get the housings to bolt up to the old standards. To hold the spacing you will need to cut the old spools. Example: If the bearings are two inch wide you will need to cut two inches out of the spools. Then just use each half on each side of the bearing to space the disk to where they should be.

I have done a fair number of them this way.

RM-MN
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Identity and brand? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How many acres are you planning to work up with that and for how many years. It likely had a piece of hardwood in there for a bearing and it has since rotted and disintegrated. If you only plan to do a small food plot with it I'd probably just put it back together and use it.

16-30 oilpull
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Identity and brand? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It appears to me that nothing is missing or wrong unless you have a great deal of play or looseness. So like the one man said unless your going to farm a lot put it back grease it well and use it. Many of the old disk prior to sealed bearings are made this way and nothing else is in there. I used to grease 3 times per day and sometimes they still make a little noise.

john *.?-!.* cub owner
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Identity and brand? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That will have to have some weight, or an operator riding it to do much good as a disk.

Rhinomd
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Identity and brand? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There is quite a bit of play like something is missing. One of the sleeves is broke. i will try and get some more pictures in a little while to show the play. Im thinking it was a international harvester mule drawn disc. the front steel wheels were missing. I may and try to call the place that sells wood bearings.

C.Amick
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Identity and brand? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My dad made new wooden bushings for the disc I have. It was also down to metal against metal.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Identity and brand? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That was a horse drawn disk and doughtfull you can ever find the make as there were hundreds of companys making them at that time. But some made very few. The picture of the bearing the spool looks like it is wore very tapered where the bearing runs, that is supposed to be straight. Never heard of a horse drawn disk that did not have wood bearings but not saying they are not out there. The housing looks like it is round inside so if it is there has to be something that should show up to keep the wood from turning, some was just like the end of a bolt that fit into a hole in the bearing , (actually called a boxing and some were steel that floated in between the housing and the spool) others were hex shaped to keep them from turning. And you will find that spool is a very hard brittle steel to keep it from wearing. To tell if it should have a wood boxing in thak the housing and the spool and with the least wear lay them together and if you have 3/8" of play they did not have the wood in them. If you have over an inch then they did have the wood. And if you can do or find somebody with tha ability to drill a 2 1/2" hole you can make them yourself. For the amount you could do with it any wood even soft wood will last as long as you need. But orignally they would have if wood been made out of hard maple for the wear properties plus its ability to soak in oil grease And they would have been soaked in oil for 6 months before being sold. A hard wood like oak will not absorb the oil so when you grease the bearing it will just push out and you would be running a drw bearing, I think the soft would will also absorb the oil to keep bearing lubed longer.

Jim in rush co
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Identity and brand? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The hitch and levers look like one at other place but mine has rear gang and is wider. I don't know brand though.

Farmallb
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Identity and brand? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Im guessing that was a disc used in vineyards, pulled by a skinny mule.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters