Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

OT/another heat pump question

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nancy Howell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: OT/another heat pump question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Current temp is 26. I have the thermostat set at 75 and on the heat pump setting. It has been running continuously for just over an hour. It did this last night and I switched to the heat strips. Furnace using just the heat strips would run for about 15 minutes, shut off, then come back on in around 5 or 6 minutes. Did that all evening.

So which is more efficient - letting the heat pump run continuously for long periods or switching to the heat strips?

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: OT/another heat pump question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If the heat pump is working properly, it is more efficient.

For the heat strip to be cycling that often, the strip wattage is too big for the house, or the house is not well sealed/insulated.

Mine ran on heat pump continuously this morning when it was down in the teens, but when the sun came up it started cycling. Never heard the e heat come on. I can tell because the blower runs higher on e heat.

JD Seller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: OT/another heat pump question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nancy the heat pump is way more efficient than the heat strips. As long as your getting heat out of the system even with the pump running most of the time it is using less energy than the heating coils would.

It is basically a AC system just working in reverse. The pump is compressing the Freon and putting the resulting heat into your house. Then the outside air warms the cold half of the system. The system is at about its maximum capacity. Your getting a 50 degree temperature rise right now. When the outside air gets much colder then heat pump half will not be able to work because the outside air will not be able to warm the cold coils. Then you would be totally on the heating coils.

This is why most heat pumps in colder climates have other means to warm the cold side. The more efficient systems are either loops of pipe buried under ground, in wells or ponds. some older ones have electric or propane backup heat in the system.

Just a question for you. How well is your house insulated??? I know many houses in the south do not have much insulation. If your attic insulation is not very thick adding more there is usually a cheap way to lower heating and cooling cost. If the walls are not insulated then your more than likely just going to have to live with it. I am not sure you get enough colder weather for adding wall insulation to be economically practical.

pete black
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: OT/another heat pump question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good question: lots of variables there. Most heat pump dealers/pushers will advise that it is more economical to use heat pump and let it cycle with the aux heat strips since tbere is available heat in the outside air rather than use pure heat strips only. I am like you though, in unusual cold, use heat strips and let it cycle off on occasion.

donjr
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: OT/another heat pump question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nancy- Are you moving the handle up and down quickly or slowly? More quickly will produce more heat........

Angle Iron
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: OT/another heat pump question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The last specs I looked at had a heat pump operating at about 2/3 capacity with out side air temps at around 27 degrees with indoor temp of around 70 degrees. I know that improvements have been made so this may no longer be true. I saw a post about your new unit the other day I think. You asked about frost and ice on the out door coil. I intended to read the whole post but never did. If no one mentioned it the units have a defrost cycle built in. Many were run timers some may have been sensors of some sort. The timers were adjustable as to how often they came on. No idea what yours has. The load on the compressor is a lot lower in heat than cooling so power draw is less per hour of run time in the winter than summer as it was explained to me. Foggy or misty high humidity days will freeze the coil the fastest. Some times it has a hard time keeping the coil frost and Ice free. I have known people to have a hot water faucet put in next to the outdoor unit so they could shut the system down and defrost it with warm water. Having said all that it should take care of itself most of the time. Let it run in heat pump mode as it is more efficent and if the system needs help the strips should kick in and help at around 2 degrees below set point. Some people have problems getting used to the cooler heat of a heat pump others love them. This is all from memory from long ago, If I said somthing wrong do now shoot me.

Angle Iron
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: OT/another heat pump question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Angle Iron wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:21:50 01/01/1Cool The last specs I looked at had a heat pump operating at about 2/3 capacity with out side air temps at around 27 degrees with indoor temp of around 70 degrees. I know that improvements have been made so this may no longer be true. I saw a post about your new unit the other day I think. You asked about frost and ice on the out door coil. I intended to read the whole post but never did. If no one mentioned it the units have a defrost cycle built in. Many were run timers some may have been sensors of some sort. The timers were adjustable as to how often they came on. No idea what yours has. The load on the compressor is a lot lower in heat than cooling so power draw is less per hour of run time in the winter than summer as it was explained to me. Foggy or misty high humidity days will freeze the coil the fastest. Some times it has a hard time keeping the coil frost and Ice free. I have known people to have a hot water faucet put in next to the outdoor unit so they could shut the system down and defrost it with warm water. Having said all that it should take care of itself most of the time. Let it run in heat pump mode as it is more efficent and if the system needs help the strips should kick in and help at around 2 degrees below set point. Some people have problems getting used to the cooler heat of a heat pump others love them. This is all from memory from long ago, If I said somthing wrong do now shoot me.
I tried to type "not to shoot me".

guido
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: OT/another heat pump question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello Nancy Howell,

Thermostat setting @75 of 80 will not make the room warm quicker. You need to set the thermostat above the indoor temp a degree of two and see if the unit catches up and shuts off. Any temp below 32* the back up system should come on, as the coil freezing will stop the heat pump and turn on on defrost, and then on the back up strips. You're back up strips are manual? of You are putting them on as the unit is not catching up? You did not say If the unit is keeping the indoor temp of what that is. If it is running at that temp is not climbing, something is not right!. Having the owner's manual would tell you how it is wired-programmed. You need that manual. Maybe on line?

Guido.

wjytexas
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: OT/another heat pump question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am on my second heat pump. When it was first installed it did much of what you are describing. I had problems with the original installer so I called a second company who a friend had good luck with. It was not wired and set properly for defrosting. They fixed it and I've had no problems the past 4 years. (Amana) It does run a lot but my electric bills are down.

Nancy Howell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: OT/another heat pump question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thermostat is set at 75 and inside temp on the thermostat also reads 75. Weather is unseasonably cool with the temp last night dropping to 20 and supposed to hit 18 tonight. The house is not dropping in temp, the unit is maintaining the temp inside, 75, according to the temp setting on the thermostat, also 75. Dealer said if the temp of the house is more than 3 degrees lower than the temp setting on the thermostat, heat strips would automatically kick in.

Earlier this evening, had the heat pump on and it had been running for over an hour and I shut it off intending to go back in a little while and turn it back on. Forgot about it for a couple of hours, then noticed it had gotten cool in the house and remembered I had shut it off. Thermostat said temp in the house had dropped to 69 when I turned the heat pump on. It only took about 15 - 20 minutes to bring the house up to match the thermostat setting of 75 then the unit shut off.

Getting lots of good info on heat pumps. Guess I just need to get used to a completely different heat system than I'm used to.

Nancy Howell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: OT/another heat pump question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

LOL!

Nancy Howell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: OT/another heat pump question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We just had an additional 8-10 inches of insulation added in the attic. Supposed to be around R-25 now I think. We also just had a metal roof put on over at least two layers of composition shingles.

House has not been dropping in temp, system had been able to hold it steady, just doesn't cycle when outside temp is fairly chilly. Since we have never had a heat pump before and dealer didn't tell us anything about them, we're learning what's ok and what's not ok.

Unit does cycle on and off as the day warms up.

Moonlite37
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: OT/another heat pump question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a geothermal system I have had for about 28 years without a backup system. at minus temps it runs continuously. A properly sized system is designed to run continuously at the lowest anticipated temperature. It also runs air conditioner continuously at the hottest day in summer. Very economical except original cost. I have 1,200 square feet plus basement and a 3 ton unit. 1200 feet lateral buried pipe, 1990 cost about $7,000. No regrets

ss55
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: OT/another heat pump question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Your heat pump should be several times more efficient than the heat strips. If the heat pump does not have enough capacity, plug in an electric heater but keep it away from the heat pump's thermostat so the heat pump continues working.

Bama Ray
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: OT/another heat pump question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am in North Alabama ....we went from gas heat in furnace to heat pump 10 years ago....the gas feels more warm to me....set the thermostat on what temp you want the house to be and forget about it.....the heat pump will run and make all kinds of noise...that is just the nature of the beast

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Tales (OT) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters