Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Show me your Dash TEA20

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kaesark
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject: Show me your Dash TEA20 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

While I have the dash off the old girl, keen to know what others have done or not done to their Dash's. Was thinking I will need amp, oil and temp gauges, ignition light and headlight switch. Three gauges is obviously an odd number to try and balance so as to look correct.
Regards

Tom H.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: Show me your Dash TEA20 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is one I picked up this fall.
Temp, oil pressure then the ammeter

kaesark
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: Show me your Dash TEA20 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Interesting, I see the ignition key is set in the dash also, most over this way are positioned below the dash next to the bonnet release handles. It's a shame they don't make other gauges with the same white background as the original oil pressure gauge.

Charles in Aus.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: Show me your Dash TEA20 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is the instrument panel of my 1952, twelve volt TED20 .

A photo of a six volt TED20

Scott D Orbaker
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Show me your Dash TEA20 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

kaesark,

Here is a company the makes gauges with white dial faces:
https://www.iequus.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIi77QvbC52AIV07fACh3owgLCEAAYASAAEgI18_D_BwE

I know there are others because I have seen ones with ivory backgrounds and a fancier script style of lettering.
Try searching for retro or vintage automotive gauges.

Good luck

Scott D. Orbaker

Tony in Mass.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Show me your Dash TEA20 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I believe- others will know for certain- UK built TE's didn't have amp meters, they have the red jewel lamp on the lower right- you called it an ignition light? I think there were 2 large holes for temp and oil, 2 small for red jewel and light switch, and the key is below the dash from factory. So many were 'customized' over the last 60 or 70 years... Tom's has the average 'customized' look.
My Canadian market TEA-20-85 is just like Charles'. The one in the bone yard must be a very early model.

Tom H.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Show me your Dash TEA20 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sorry, mine is a TE20 not the TEA

Ron(Ont)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Show me your Dash TEA20 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The TEA's did not come with a Temp. gauge, just an Oil Pressure gauge and a charge lamp, but the TED's did have a temp gauge.

I have added an Ammeter to mine.

Johnny R
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Show me your Dash TEA20 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My 1954 TEA-2085 has the original oil pressure gauge on the left side of the dash and amperage gauge on the right side of the dash since the tractor was bought new in 1956. Key switch is below dash on left side, has been replaced. Red light is on the right side of dash. No temp gauge on it.

Benj R
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Show me your Dash TEA20 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is a pic of my 1954 TEA dash. I have had the tractor for about 4 years (Canada). Picture 2 is of a interesting dash I found on the net.

kaesark
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Show me your Dash TEA20 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi Charles
As my dash has the air vent then I am thinking i will stick with just the two guages as per your example, can you explain again the red light is that just an
indication that the key is turned on and also what about a head lights switch as i will be fitting lights to mine. I have a couple of spare holes to the left of
my left hand guage hole so could utilise one of them perhaps for on/off light switch.
Regards

kaesark
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Show me your Dash TEA20 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wow that certainly is in ya face (Pic 2), thanks Ben for your pics.
Regards

Charles in Aus.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Show me your Dash TEA20 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As there is an air vent in your panel Kaesark then the tractor is a later post 1951/2 model with 12 volt wiring . All TEA/D 20 tractors came with the hole for the temperature gauge already punched out but only the TED had the gauge fitted at the factory . In the interests of authenticity many owners remove gauges fitted later to TEA tractors and often have difficulty finding the right blanking plate to cover the hole . To fit a gauge to a TEA you will also need a new thermostat housing to accommodate the temperature sensor.
So TEA on oil pressure gauge , TED oil and temperature gauges .

Lights were often retro fitted by owners using their own bits and pieces or a Ferguson kit . The factory kit came with a template for drilling the light switch which was a simple Lucas push/pull one or two position on / off . One position for headlights the other for rear plough light . Use push pull types , toggle switches will turn on and off as your hand brushes them while steering , very annoying . The white knob on the dash of my TED is the light switch , it is not quite in the exact position it should be but is within a half inch or so from the factory specification ,the hole was already there so I used it . The two holes in your tractor's dash are probably for switches also , lights forward , rear , work light and horn were all controlled from this area .

The red light is the charge light , it shows the state of charge from the dynamo as well as acting as an ignition on light . Turn on ignition and the light should glow , at slow idle when insufficient charge is reaching the battery it will also glow , at full charge during high idle or work it will turn off . It will also act as a warning light if the fan belt breaks or there is an electrical fault .

kaesark
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Show me your Dash TEA20 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Fantastic Charles, your explaining of how
that charge light works/functions here I
thought it was just a light, explains it's
price. When I pulled the dash apart it had.
An old push pull knob but it was shagged
and so someone had added the flick on/off
switch which explains those two small holes
on the left of the dash in my pic.
Regards

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Show me your Dash TEA20 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just in case you do decide to cut the dash for gauges...

Be aware, hole saws are known to cut larger than the actual size on the saw.

If you want it to drill on size, clamp a guide piece over the desired location wit a predrilled on size hole, let that hole guide the hole saw.

Or, choose a saw 1/8" smaller than the gauge, finish the hole with a rotary file.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Harry Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters