Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Tractor Engine Oil Delo 400 CF ? Gas safe?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wes Verbal
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Tractor Engine Oil Delo 400 CF ? Gas safe? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just got 2 jugs of the Delo 400 Sae 30 oil when I ordered the oil it said Cf/SL which i believe is good on gas and diesel engines both? Anyways got it today and says CF on the jugs only? Did they change it all togather to just straight Diesel oil or is this stuff still safe on Gas Engines to use??

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Tractor Engine Oil Delo 400 CF ? Gas safe? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It will be too thick to use in the cold, but absolutely fine in warm weather. Use 15-40 diesel oil for colder temps, or 10-30 oil in minus conditions. Jim

Wes Verbal
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Tractor Engine Oil Delo 400 CF ? Gas safe? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello Jim... i am using the 15-40 now but dont really drive my tractors much in the winters the olds ones that is.... so most time there in a heated garage through thevwinter months. But was concerned about there API ratings i remember buying some few years back was labeled CF/SL means for gas diesel engines both but now just labels is CF? So really wanst sure if it was safe to use?

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Tractor Engine Oil Delo 400 CF ? Gas safe? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Evidently they have split the gas/diesel category on that product.

As you have figured out, Cx is for compression ignition engines, Sx is for spark engines.

The second letter designates the performance property for each oil. Generally it is emission compliance related. They are in alphabetical order, safe to go up, but not down from the mfg. requirements.

As for using it in an old tractor engine, it will be fine. No emissions concerns.

Here is some info, on the "oil categories" page, click across on the "gasoline" "diesel c" "diesel f" banners to open each category.
Oil Categories

Wes Verbal
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Tractor Engine Oil Delo 400 CF ? Gas safe? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello Steve, Thanks for reply. Yeah i am using this oil in my old Molines i have. If i do remember the SL was for gas and CF on desiel model engines etc. Reason i was considered the delo 400 sae 30 oil was supposed be a great oil for older tractors with gas engines......

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Tractor Engine Oil Delo 400 CF ? Gas safe? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, the diesel oil was the last holdout with the zinc additive.

Not sure if any still have it, you can buy it and add it yourself.

The zinc helps engines with flat tappet cams. But it is considered a pollutant, so take it away.

It's not a real concern though with old, slow, weak spring, low lift, low compression tractor engines.

Wes Verbal
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Tractor Engine Oil Delo 400 CF ? Gas safe? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So.... all in all safe to use in my MM z engine ?

Crazy Horse
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Tractor Engine Oil Delo 400 CF ? Gas safe? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In addition to maybe being a pollutant in itself, I think that zinc additive destroys catalytic converters somehow ..... and then in turn I guess the pollution stuff steps up if the converter is dead. A number of specialty oils have the zinc additive still, high performance hot rodders with older engines buy it from shops but it's pretty pricey compared to the regular off-the-shelf stuff. And usually purchased by the quart or litre, not in 5-gallon pails like a lot of the guys here like to do. And I think the additive itself is still available by itself, simply add it to modern oils. Once again I would guess that it's pricey.

dhermesc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Tractor Engine Oil Delo 400 CF ? Gas safe? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If its CF only rated oil most like its high in sulfated ash - not something I would want to use in a gas engine.

Wes Verbal
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Tractor Engine Oil Delo 400 CF ? Gas safe? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What i figured. Might just send this stuff back.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters