Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

drill doctor

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
grizz02
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: drill doctor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Any thoughts on drill doctor I have a lot of drill bits I like to sharpen has any one had experience with one good or bad thanks 🛴

Ted in NE-OH
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: drill doctor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The new ones are goodf as they have a replaceable wheels

dr sportster
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: drill doctor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They work good but you must follow instructions .

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: drill doctor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have 2 of them laying around some place. I could never get the bit as shape with one of them then I can by eye so I gave up on the 2 of them. I tried many times and for some reason I could not get a shape bit when I used them

TimV
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: drill doctor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've had mine for 10+ years and found it VERY handy. Yes, I can sharpen bits by hand if absolutely necessary, but once you get the hang of it (as noted, it's absolutely essential to follow the directions--they're not difficult, but they need to be done consistently for consistent results) I can get my bits MUCH more uniform using the Drill Doctor, and they stay sharper longer. I have the best luck with drills from 1/8" through 1/2" (the limit of my model) but in a pinch I'll sharpen smaller bits with it. My only problem is that whenever I use it with someone else there, the next time they come by they seem to bring a handful of dull bits with them!

tractorguy2
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: drill doctor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have one. Works very well.

JF in MI
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: drill doctor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've had one for over a decade and use it all the time. Like it.

electro
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: drill doctor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I sharpened by hand for years until I was given a Drill Doctor. Those that think they can sharpen by hand and do it accurately and quickly should put their sharpened bits under good magnification with a reticle scale. They likely will find they are not all that accurate at hand sharpening.

The Drill Doctor is a manual version of the more expensive automated sharpeners. I have sharpened many hundreds of bits with the DD and I am still using the first half of the diamond wheel. It is reversable so when it starts to get worn then just flip it over.

I use mine for 3/4 inch and smaller, over 3/4 inch then I sharpen by hand. The DD will produce the movements you would do when hand sharpening except alot faster and more accurate. The key is the mandril that holds the bit has to be able to follow a cam that moves the bit as you rotate the mandril. Don't hold the mandril in a death grip. Hold it lightly with slight pressure towards the DD and rotate. If held tightly, the drill bit and mandril will not "wobble" on the cam and the bit will not cut correctly. The shank end of the bit sticking out of the mandril should follow an oval pattern as the mandril is rotated.

hydro70guy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: drill doctor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good simple directions make it easy to use I think its great. Can resharpen a bit in about 20 seconds when I am in middle of drilling and bit gets a little dull.

Joe

T.R.K.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: drill doctor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

All I know is my Boss's son was bored one winter about 8 years ago and he sharpened my set of bits on one.

I had to work a long time by hand to get some of them to cut again. No rake angle, the rear of the bit was dragging and they would not cut.

The other mechanic had the same offer and ended up with the same problem. He got the machine and learned how to make it actually put an edge on there at an angle that would cut. I never took the time.

CGID
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: drill doctor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have one and it's great. For bits over 1/2 inch or for putting new tips on broken bits over 1/4 inch the optional course wheel speeds things up a lot.

Fred Werring
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: drill doctor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I like mine.

While I have sharpened by hand, this does a better job faster.

Fred

grizz02
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: drill doctor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thanks electro good info grizz 👀

Mexico46958
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: drill doctor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Like mine since I have figured out how to do it correctly. Got it as Christmas present a couple of years back. Mine will handle up to 1/2 in bit. Also learned to put oil on bit for better cutting and slow the speed down.

PJH
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: drill doctor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I like mine.

Follow the instructions and it will do a good job.

It will make a bit useless if you don't follow the instructions.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters