Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Tractor brands on your family farm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
onefarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Tractor brands on your family farm Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Colorblind Acres here. My motto seems to be "If it runs, It's used"

JD
400 lawn tractor

MF

IH
H
M
SM

MH
colt
mustang

Ford
9n

Eldon (WA)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: Tractor brands on your family farm Reply to specific post Reply with quote

With 14 kids, my dad bought whatever he could afford most of the time. He started out with a new '47 JD B, then added an Allis WD after he tipped the B over a few times with the Du-Al loader. He later bought his brother's WD45 diesel and then his cousin's WD45 diesel, which were the tractors I spent most of the time on. He then bought a Massey 135 diesel w/MP that was his favorite for many years. We also had a 1650 Oliver diesel, 2 JD 720 diesels, a JD 730 diesel, JD 50 and 60. He then found a White 2-85 and bought a new Hesston 100-90 FWA when he paid off the mortgage. His last new one was a Ford 5610S.

I collect Allis Chalmers tractors and have close to 100 now. I do custom work with a few, mostly 175 diesels and a 6080 cab tractor.

coshoo
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: Tractor brands on your family farm Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Guess you could say dad wasn't much on tractors. He bought a '51 8N Ford with loader in 1952, and that was it. We had a dairy, tractor was used for scraping and spreading manure, what little tillage we did (plowing and putting in pasture), and general utility work around the place. Cows went away in '61, he sold the farm in '71 (and moved to another smaller place), and the tractor stayed around until the '80's.

farmerjohn
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: Tractor brands on your family farm Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Grew up with IHC Super C, B-414, 656. Then my brother and I got a Deutz 7085. I left the farm, brother now has three Internationals, three Deutzs, don't know the models. I still have Grandpa's Super C.

Bob N.Y.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: Tractor brands on your family farm Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My father's first tractor was a 1927 Fordson followed by a 1952 8N, a 1960 MF 65 high arch gas, a 1944 MH 101 Jr. standard to replace the Fordson, a 1968 MF 165 high arch diesel with a loader. After I took over I bought a Ford 6000 diesel and sold the MH. Later I sold the 6000 and 165 and bought a 5000 diesel.

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Tractor brands on your family farm Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Grew up on AC and Oliver tractors.
Now own several different brands
Oliver
AC
IH
Yanmar
Iseki
Fiat
David Brown
MM
Hines
Pasquali

RLA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: Tractor brands on your family farm Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When grand dad bought the farm in 1928 for $2800.00 he had 2 teams. When my father was 10 they bought a Used F12 Farmall.
Dad thought he had the world by the tail. In 1942 they bought a new 42 B John Deere, in 1948 they bought a new Cyclone A
John Deere, with plows & disc. 1961 He picked up a used 730 Pony start diesel & a used 1946 Slant dash A John Deere ( that
we called Chuck ). Around 65 we found a good buy on a 630 wide front. We found a Model 60 John Deere at a auction for 400.00
later went to look at a Combine for sale & came home with a Wide Frt Model 60 John Deere with weights & 3 Point for 600.00.
I picked up a 58 620 with plows from a retiring farmer for 2500.00 Later they same month I bought a Oliver 60 with cultivators
that ran for 35.00 I sold it about 2 months later for 650.00. Used that $$ to buy a 530 John Deere off ebay that I restored.
Bought a Model 50 John Deere out of a fence row, cheap, & I didn't like it so I sold it. I picked up a John Deere 50 with a 2
Loads of attachments for 400.00& We have a 730 electric start Diesel that was the right price & 2750 4wd & 3255 4wd cab tractor.
As it stands right now only F12, 46 Slant dash A, Oliver 60 & the John Deere 50 are gone, they rest as still around & they all
gets Used..

John M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Tractor brands on your family farm Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We had every letter series IH made at one point are another. Each did a certain job, then Dad would decide we needed something bigger or faster to do the job. Over the years, he bought and sold those tractors seems like every couple of years. Last IH he bought was an 806 diesel. Of all those, I know the Super C, 460, ,560, Super M, 2 Hs, a 450, a 350, and Im sure theres one or two Im forgetting are still in use today. I think the 706 and 806 are used on one farm about 40 miles from me, but i cant swear thats them. Dad later bought a 4020 and 3020 John Deere, both diesels, and a year later bought a Case 1030 CK. The 4020 is on duty with my cousin, mainly just bushhogging and bailing some. The 3020 is restored and one of cousins prized possessions. The 1030 has had many owners since Dad sold it. I last saw it at auction about 10 years ago. Current (then) owner had put a new starter on it, since he burned up the old one trying to get it started. It wouldnt start at the auction, so it didnt sell.

larry@stinescorner
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Tractor brands on your family farm Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My dad had all different kinds,,my brother still has them at the farm in NJ. I could have had one if I Wanted,but I Found my Ford 2000 and implements for 2000 dollars.My brother did all the work to fix it up ,and I Painted everything in his shop,I Wanted all my Dads tractors to stay at home.They are still there.Two banger JDS,Mf 135 and super 90,aJD LA ,A ford 3000 diesel,,plus my brother and nephew added way more to the collection for sure,,,lol

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Tractor brands on your family farm Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What all did your family grow? Know there were a lot of vegetable farms in NJ as I've bought some equipment off them.

wilson ind
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Tractor brands on your family farm Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I started in 1971 with well used dc case then (2) dc case jd G jd 70 diesel Jd 720Diesel, new JD 4030Diesel, 7U Cat, TD24 IH , 340 crawler high lift . (2) JD combines. Health stopped farming. As collector tractors IH M super M several DC cases Case CC (4) C case. IH F 12 & IH 14 , IH F20 Ih F30, MM UB 3 JD Ds, Cockshut 30(2) Cockshutt 40 Diesel, Cockshutt 50 Diesel,, Allis H4 high lift..Cat 7U , (2) Whitte diesels for generator. JD E 3 hp, Not a tractor can I mention an FDSEL RANGER LOL.One of the few who regard the EDSEL as a good looking car. Growing up with father as I recall IH 15-30, unstyled JD ALLIS WD45,COCKSHUTS e4 e4 diesel JD 70d Jd 730 Diesel JD 4020, All combines JD. AS a side Joke between Tube Case and I there is a CASE D with eagle hitch of Questionable ownership.!!!!!

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Tractor brands on your family farm Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'd be using every brand if I did,but to the core,yes. The first tractor on the farm was an Oliver Hart Parr 70. My uncle Donald had a Super 55,Uncle Claude had an 88 diesel and a 60. Dad had a 66 that he wouldn't get rid of,but he'd go to Archbold Ohio and buy another tractor and cultivator every spring then sell it in the fall. Over the years there was a John Deere A and B,Massey Harris 22 and Pony,International 300U,Farmall H,an F12,Case SC,Ford 8N and 9N Oliver 70,probably others that came home for a few weeks then got traded.
I bought and sold a few myself when I was in Jr High and High School. Massey Harris 101 JR,Ford 8N,Farmall H,JD B,Case SC and DC,Allis Chalmers C. Sometimes I kind of wish I'd have kept buying and selling,but I just got too busy milking cows to mess with it anymore.
But ya,I've got 10 Olivers and 2 Whites. I use the Whites and 5 or 6 of the Olivers right along every day to make a living.

Brent Zappe
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Tractor brands on your family farm Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As I grew up my grandpa on my dads side use mostly Farmall tractors. My uncles had Farmall, John Deere, and Fords. Are attachments where mostly horse drawn pulled with the tractors. the case bailers had a Wisconsin engine on it that operated the bailer. My grandpa had a 1933 International Harvester truck with a big flat bed. We use to haul the hay around town on it. We as kids did not care about the name of the equipment we just always where glad it ran and got the job done. Those where the days.

larry@stinescorner
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Tractor brands on your family farm Reply to specific post Reply with quote

no ,my dad raised hogs,,had some sows and raised hogs till 200/220 lbs,,he also did masonry,or whatever,had a backhoe,did snowplowing,fence building,,etc etc,,worked 7 days a week ,many hrs per day,,he also planted sweetcorn ,he did early bicolor,than siverqueen,,my mom sold a lot of it

rustyplow
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Tractor brands on your family farm Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Grandfather farmed with a JD B and a team. In 1950 bought this 8N. kept the team and got rid of the deere. Dad had 2 fordson majors an oliver 70 and an ih 300 for a short bit. He was glad to see that thing go. At 14 I bought a JD b. At 16 sold the B and got an oliver super 88. That was in 74. 2 more 88s and a 1600 after that. Dad quit farming in 84. Still pretending I'm a farmer, but it ain't much anymore. Tractors I have now. The 8N, oliver 1800, 1550, The super 88, 2 fleetline 88s, 770, a red 550, 70, OC6, OC12, 552 forklift and an IH 260 backhoe.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters