Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

How much traction do you gain with chains?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimB2
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: How much traction do you gain with chains? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Trygg, the best spike chains. We have used them since early 1970s. Put them on good and tight.

JimB

495man
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: How much traction do you gain with chains? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pull behind snow blower you are fighting a losing battle in deep snow with a 2wd and no chains.

I used a normal 3pt blower on a 240 MF for a while, never ran chains on it, always carried the blower an inch or two off the ground in hard going to keep the weight on the tractor.

Had to blow snow downhill if icy. No front weights, could drive on the two rear wheels with front off the ground at will, so I could wade fairly deep snow steering with the brakes.

Have chains on the 2wd loader tractor, turns useless into useful. Have a well worn set of Norse(?) studded chains and even worn out they quadruple the traction.

Brad Buchanan
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: How much traction do you gain with chains? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Short answer: Like night and day

Brad

gab
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: How much traction do you gain with chains? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

First year I had this tractor I didn't have any trouble until we had a bunch of ice, couldn't do anything. Found a set of these rough riding cross link chains for 50 bucks and it digs now.

300jk
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: How much traction do you gain with chains? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

300 Farmall. 2 sets of wheel weights and double ring chains.
Clean my snow with a 7 foot blower. Never had traction
problems.

rohdog50
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: How much traction do you gain with chains? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jim,

Been using my 1966 MF-135(Z145 gas)for over 45 years,to plow snow,this little massey will start in cold weather when nothing else will...I use to have chains on it...but it works fine with the back blade and loaded tires......it's been a blessing to have all these years,great little tractor.

cjunrau
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: How much traction do you gain with chains? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I can't drive around here and feed with out chains. My driveway is up hill and curves and it don't matter how I tried to get up , slow , fast dif lock made no difference. put on chains and it don't matter no more. Chains are easy and cheap to make. Buy good chain at the local cheap place (Princess auto around here when on sale) and weld the cross chain in and no big deal. You can also just put 1 chain around each hole in the rim(6 usually) and that helps but is a little jerky for continues use. just don't put 1 through where the valve stem is. that system works great on trucks when they get stuck as its easy to put on.

BrianV_
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: How much traction do you gain with chains? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wow, I wasn't expecting to come back and find my question had come out to 3 pages!

So, some context for others - I'm not really dealing with 'deep snow' where there's any risk of beaching the tractor... really, no more than a few inches at a time other than some drifts I need to deal with more carefully. However, I'm just not getting much grip in some areas.

This afternoon (after starting this thread), I pushed some snow out of my driveway with the loader, and the two front tires dropped 1" down into the ditch on the other when I pushed it across - not really 'into the ditch', but to flat ground 1" below the road surface. I could not get enough traction to back up. Even using the bucket to life the front tires and increase the rear weight. I eventually had to park my van at the end of the driveway and use a comealong to winch my tractor back up that 1" drop...

I'd discovered new small uphill portions of the driveway I had previously assumed to be flat simply because the tractor won't go up them unless I have intertia or the blower raised.

I'm thinking chains make sense. I found some sized for 12.4x28s locally. My tractor has 13.6x28 tires on it currently. Would they work with the tire 1.2" wider than the chains were designed for?

Eldon (WA)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: How much traction do you gain with chains? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-cjunrau wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:20:45 01/03/1Cool I can't drive around here and feed with out chains. My driveway is up hill and curves and it don't matter how I tried to get up , slow , fast dif lock made no difference. put on chains and it don't matter no more. Chains are easy and cheap to make. Buy good chain at the local cheap place (Princess auto around here when on sale) and weld the cross chain in and no big deal. You can also just put 1 chain around each hole in the rim(6 usually) and that helps but is a little jerky for continues use. just don't put 1 through where the valve stem is. that system works great on trucks when they get stuck as its easy to put on.

Ha! Reminds me when I was a kid and made chains for my bicycle so I could ride it on the crick in the winter. I cut individual links of that cheap swing set chain and used electric fence wire to wire them on a soft tire, then added more air to tighten them up. Worked well....

mj
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: How much traction do you gain with chains? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yep- Agree.

mj
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: How much traction do you gain with chains? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

rustyfarmall wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:54:17 01/03/1Cool
It is simple. If you are using your tractor for purposes of snow removal, you need chains.

Yep - I was spinning every time I stopped and tried to go again, until I took some time and 'hung iron'.
Smile

495man
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: How much traction do you gain with chains? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

BrianV_ wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:33:18 01/03/1Cool I pushed some snow out of my driveway with the loader,

I'm thinking chains make sense. I found some sized for 12.4x28s locally. My tractor has 13.6x28 tires on it currently. Would they work with the tire 1.2" wider than the chains were designed for?

I must have missed the loader part before. A 2wd loader tractor is completely useless for snow and ice without chains.

If the 12.4 28 chains have stretched any (worn) they might fit.

Kirk-NJ
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: How much traction do you gain with chains? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's possible they might fit your tractor. You might have to add some chain to make them fit. Lengthen is not usually a problem adding chain if the width is alright. Some thing to keep in mind is
what chains to what thread you have. Ladder style chains will work on 45 degree lug, bald or turf tires but on 23 degree thread will often fall between the lugs making them almost useless. The
duo-grip style or H style work better on the 23 degree lugs, hit the ling to view chains. I have had ladder chains that have also be adapted for better traction, see photo.
Depending on the snowfall some years I can get away without chains and some years I can't. I'm last minute so I always wait unless they are predicting a big snowfall before I put them on. If you
are just getting stuck every once in a while it might pay for you to find a pair of of these. They have work for me several times when I don't have my chains on. They fold up and are easy to
store.

45 degree ladder style with added chain

23 degree with ladder chains

Long/short bar with ladder chains with added chains for better traction

Tire chain link

DR. EVIL
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: How much traction do you gain with chains? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I doubt a 12.4x28 chain would fit properly and stay on a 13.6x28 tire. You can put a bigger chain on
smaller tires but going the other way, small chain on larger tire won't work.

You can cut and splice in a couple links in each cross chain and make them work. All depends on how good a
bargain the chains are.

Dad bought half a dozen pairs of semi-tractor tire chains and made chains for both of my tractors, Super H
and M. Without chains I can't even drive up my concrete driveway in an inch of snow. With chains I can
push an 80 inch wide blade 16 inches high full of snow up the driveway and across the road. Dad's chains
have cross chains every other link of the side chains. The chains for the Super H weigh over 200 pounds
for each chain, like adding over one more set of wheel weights but lets me push 4-5 times or more snow.

On my concrete drive it's a complete waste of time trying to push snow without chains. I used to clear my
driveway in town with a garden tractor mounted snow blower, chains were required on it too. But I've had
3-4 foot drifts here in the country, not playing with toys in snow like that.

RedMF40
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: How much traction do you gain with chains? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When I was in the market for chains for my tractor, I got on the phone with tirechains.com. The woman who helped me was very knowledgeable, knew what chains were best for different conditions. Some were better for ice/snow, others were more general purpose. They should have a number where you can reach them.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters