Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

.41 mag

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
steve19438
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: .41 mag Reply to specific post Reply with quote

shooters here.... .41 mag revolver. opinions. i am trading for a Henry 41 mag rifle and think i might like to get like cal. revolver.

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: .41 mag Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Isn't that an oddball cal. now ? .45 colt gained popularity and .41 fell out of favor. Does anyone even make new guns in that cal. ?
I have a .41 and it was ok. got a .45 colt too but never shot it.
May just as well get a .44 mag. and shoot reduced reloads unless you are hunting then you would want full power loads.

dahlin
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: .41 mag Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had a 41 mag revolver a Taurus tracker it shot good but had quite a bit of recoil I hand loaded for it. Not a bad gun. We have a 44 mag Henry big boy and have had a bunch of fun shooting it. Randy

Russ from MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: .41 mag Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It should be a great handgun, but I don't think they're very popular. I have a 357, think it's a great handgun, have shot deer with it, but many think it's too small. Most guys that buy 44's either sell them of just leave them in the safe! If you can buy ammo at a reasonable price I would go for it!

MSS3020
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: .41 mag Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Im looking at the 357 Henry lever rifle.. heavy gun but nice.. I reload my own stuff for all my guns so not a huge thing.

I would def reload the .41 if you can.. and you get those guns..

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: .41 mag Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it where me I would trade that 41mag rifle for a 44mag rifle and then buy the hand gun to match it. Many people that have shot my 44mag pistol where afraid to do so till they watch me do so and the found it has very little kick but it is a heavy gun also which make a very big difference as to how bad the kick is. I also have a Model 94 lever action rifle in 44 mag which is a very good gun and has taken one deer and I had loaned the gun to the guy who took the deer.

Ragnarok
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: .41 mag Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The .41 magnum is a good powerful round. It's close to a .44 magnum in power and somewhat more potent than the .357 mag.

Supposedly designed for police use back in the day however it could never overcome the .357 mag in popularity and sort-of faded from the scene. It's not that there were issues with the .41 mag itself..or the S&W revolvers chambered for it..it's just that the .357 mag would chamber .38 special and there was no such option for the .41 mag. The ammunition has always been pricier than .357 mag or .38 special...and that the semi-auto pistols in 9mm, .40S&W and .45acp took over for the revolvers. Too powerful a kick for many policemen/ladies to handle proficiently(not much less than a .44 mag)

Ammunition for .41 magnum is not really rare..but it's not commonly stocked at the average shooter supply. Probably a mail-order deal for ammo...that or reloading deal.

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: .41 mag Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's a nice revolver but unless you reload you will have to order ammo. Dealers around don't handle anything for the 41 mag.

TimV
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: .41 mag Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a .41 mag in a Ruger Blackhawk and like it. As mentioned, the "middle magnum" was designed as a police round but never caught on, and nowadays with police forces pretty much universally carrying semi-autos there's even less call for it. The biggest problem with the .41 is ammo--while it's not terribly hard to find, there's just nowhere NEAR the range available as there is for any comparable revolver round. That's not really a big deal if you have a round you like, but does limit your choices if your gun is finicky on ammo or you want to experiment a bit. Ditto for reloading--components, specifically bullets, are in considerably shorter supply for the .41 than they are for any of the other standard (.38/.357, .44 and .45) diameters of roughly equal performance. One interesting recent development with the .41 is the creation and more-or-less legitimization (I don't know if it's recognized by SAAMI or another standardization body and don't care enough to research it, but Starline does make brass for it with proper headstamps) of the .41 Special to fill the perceived need for an "understudy" round for the .41 Magnum. Personally, that seems like a solution in search of a problem, as I've never had any real need nor desire to load the .41 down much from its normal ballistics, having other round and handguns that would do the same for me with less hassle, and I'm wondering if it would cause problems with cycling through things like .41 Magnum chambered lever guns, as that's a known issue with some models when going from .357 magnum to .38 Special or .44 magnum to .44 special, but, again, it's no skin off my nose as I don't own a rifle chambered in .41 Magnum. Video below is one well-known Youtube reloader shooting .41 Special in a handgun, and his channel offers several videos on the subject should you be interested in further exploring that option.
41 special shooting

steve19438
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: .41 mag Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"If it where me I would trade that 41mag rifle for a 44mag rifle and then buy the hand gun to match it."

already done. thought i would get another sister act.

Nancy Howell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: .41 mag Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a S&W 41 mag that was a gift from my dad back in 1981 (I think). I am more comfortable shooting it than any of the other hand guns we own probably because I have shot it more than the other calibers. I don't know much about it as far as specs. It is quite heavy. Since I don't do much hand gun shooting I can't compare recoil to other guns such as a .44 or a .45 model 1911. It does have a fair amount of kick, but the recoil doesn't bother me. When doing target shooting, I have to be careful of how I place my left hand or the base of the grip will dig from recoil. I'm 5' 6" and 145 lbs. I've never had any problem getting ammo, but I've never looked for it at Walmart either. There is a local pawn/gun store where we buy ammo and they stock it. The ammo is pricey, though.

It is a powerful round. James and I were doing some target shooting at a dead tree about 12 inches in diameter. The .41 rounds went all the way through where the .45 did not.

There is one huge drawback to my 41. Its a double action which means there is no safety at all. Nada, zip, zero. If you pull the trigger, it fires whether the hammer is cocked or not. Please don't argue this point. I know this for a fact. My dad bought the gun used and perhaps the prior owner altered it, but I don't know that. Like I said earlier, I don't know the specs for this gun.

I like my .41. I have a .380 and could use one of the .45s, but I prefer my .41.

Hope this helps.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: .41 mag Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So your saying you traded the new rifle or you already have a 44 mag pistol and rifle?? Me I like to keep my guns pretty much in the same caliber so as to not have to have as lot of different ammo on hand

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: .41 mag Reply to specific post Reply with quote

.45 long colt is more appealing to me. I've already got the Ruger SP 101 and the Ruger Vaquero in .357, as well as a Henry and a Rossi in .357. The .45 colt has more history than the .44.

ArleninOr
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: .41 mag Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nancy, I won't argue with you as mine is the same. Mine was from a former police officer and is a very nice gun. Have other handguns so it doesn't get shot a lot. Also has sentimental value. Have a lot of rounds for it.

jimg.allentown
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: .41 mag Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just a thought I had was about the difference between a handgun and a rifle.
Handguns have short barrels. As such, I would load with a quicker burning powder so as to get the maximum burn by the time the round leaves the end of the barrel.
Rifles have much longer barrels, so I would think that a slower powder would be a better choice for a long gun. More time to burn, so why not take advantage of that with a slower (read longer) burning powder.
For that reason, being a reloader myself, I would load two completely different loads. Each tailored to the gun it would be used in. I therefore would not think it to be a big thing to have rifle and pistol chambered for the same ammo since I would have different loads for each gun.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Tales (OT) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters