Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Ya gotta laugh.. parts people

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MSS3020
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Ya gotta laugh.. parts people Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Gotta laugh.. Took in a brake rotor off my wifes car to get replaced into my local name brand parts store. Usually like the folks in there but have had large turn around in past month. Anywho... took rotor in laid on table told the idiot what it was off of.. this was the conversation....
He: tap tap tap... hum.. Do you know what size this is?
Me: No but its right here..
He: Ya but I dont know the size.. takes tape out to measure in standard meanwhile his computer was wanting mm.
He: puts tape down proceeds to stand there looking atthe rotor on counter and after a while says.. I only carry one size. and without knowing the size I have no clue if it is the same..
Me: Do ya think you could pull the one you have and compare
He: Ya I guess I could...
Me: THAT WOULD BE SWELL...
He: brings one out and i have to unpack and open up to see..he stands there.
Me: that will work do you happen to have a second one for the other side?
He: tap tap hum... let me look..
Me: GEE THAT WOULD BE SWELL!!
Me: once he is back with second.. I thought Id ask for the world now.."Do you have the pads and hardware kit"
He: tap tap hum... no dont have any
Me: can you check other branches??
He: tap tap hum... no no other have..
Me: left with tworotors and went to a local brake/clutch shop to get the rest...

Gotta laugh!!

BMACK518N
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Ya gotta laugh.. parts people Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Having worked for one of the largest fastener houses in the Southwest for over 30 years had to laugh when one of my customers came in and said he stopped at Fastenal because he was on that side of town. Asked the counter person for 1/2-13 x 1 1/2 Gr.5 carriage bolts, counter person asked him what the Fastenal part number was?? Customer said that was his job to know and walked out. Gotta love it.

Duane WI
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Ya gotta laugh.. parts people Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't understand this mentality. By asking if the guy knew the part number he was trying to short circuit the process and get to the end result quicker. If the guy doesn't know the part number then just say no. The Fastenal guy then does a search and finds it taking more time. Fastenal carries hundreds of thousands of parts. Memorizing all of the part numbers isn't going to happen. Walk a mile in the Fastenal guys shoes and then pass judgment.

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Ya gotta laugh.. parts people Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Must be my area, I deal at Fisher Parts mostly and some at Autozone and Advance Auto and most all the help at all three are pretty good are willing to do all they can to get me what ever
I need.

Ferd
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Ya gotta laugh.. parts people Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Recently went into one of the local NAPA stores. Five parts men all at their counters, no customers except me standing there and not one would acknowledge my presence. Decided they were all too busy to be bothered selling parts so after roughly 10 minutes I went elsewhere.

Nancy Howell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Ya gotta laugh.. parts people Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here's another silly parts story for you.

Years ago I had 1975 Monza with a 262 V8. I hated to get plugs, etc. for it because very few of the Monzas had V8s and the parts guys looked at me like I was an idiot.

Went to the parts store (don't remember which one, too many years ago) to get plugs. Wasn't happy because I had dealt with the guy behind the counter before to get parts for this car. He considered himself a know-it-all.

Told the guy I needed plugs for a 1975 Chevy Monza with a 262 V8. He gives me the stupid broad look and tells me its a 4 cyl, not 8. I tell him to look it up. He give me another stupid broad look and tells me again (without looking it up) its a 4 cyl. Since I was driving the car, I invited him to go outside and count the plugs.

He finally looked it up and turned very red in the face when he found out the 262 was a V8. I never went back.

BTW, it had 4 in the floor and was quite fast. Lots of fun to drive.

grizz02
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Ya gotta laugh.. parts people Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I,m in eastern wa. I have a great napa they can make up hyd. hoses, have parts for semis , farm tractors if they don't have they will find it

Straw Boss
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Ya gotta laugh.. parts people Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think his point was, it's a standard Bolt found in any Bolt rack at a Running's or Tractor Supply or any hardware store. Any one of which may attach a part number to it for their own inventory system. Asking the customer what the part number is, is about as dumb as a tire man asking a customer which rack the 16" tires might be on in his warehouse. The customer already gave him the specs which is the pertinent and universal information.

rdandersom
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Ya gotta laugh.. parts people Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My sister had one with the V6. Fun to drive but I always felt like my rear was 2 inches off the asphalt.

VADAVE
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Ya gotta laugh.. parts people Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nope the Fastenal guy should where their shelved. I walked into the Fastenal store said want Stainless Steel 3/8 standard thread bolt X inches long the guy walks to the bins pulls what I wanted it was what I was looking for and I bought a bag. If the counter people do the stocking they know where it's at.

jtwat
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Ya gotta laugh.. parts people Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did a plug change on one back in the 70's when working at a Chev. Dealer. Car was traded in and needed a tune up before being placed on used car lot. That back plug on the passenger side is a PIA to change and when I got it out saw that it was the original plug from factory. Center electrode was burned way up into the insulator. Wonder how many 7 plug tune ups it had.

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Ya gotta laugh.. parts people Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Nancy Howell wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:11:51 01/03/1Cool Here's another silly parts story for you.

Years ago I had 1975 Monza with a 262 V8. I hated to get plugs, etc. for it because very few of the Monzas had V8s and the parts guys looked at me like I was an idiot.

Went to the parts store (don't remember which one, too many years ago) to get plugs. Wasn't happy because I had dealt with the guy behind the counter before to get parts for this car. He considered himself a know-it-all.

Told the guy I needed plugs for a 1975 Chevy Monza with a 262 V8. He gives me the stupid broad look and tells me its a 4 cyl, not 8. I tell him to look it up. He give me another stupid broad look and tells me again (without looking it up) its a 4 cyl. Since I was driving the car, I invited him to go outside and count the plugs.

He finally looked it up and turned very red in the face when he found out the 262 was a V8. I never went back.

BTW, it had 4 in the floor and was quite fast. Lots of fun to drive.

Gotta luv a grrrl with a fast car, IMHO, Nancy!

gab
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Ya gotta laugh.. parts people Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had two new Monzas, liked the red 76 one the best, handled like a mini Vette, overhead cam and 4 speed. Picture is just before leaving for Florida. Silver 1980 one went to Colorado on it's maiden trip. Fun cars.

gab
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Ya gotta laugh.. parts people Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That was the second red one I ordered, don't remember what it's called but they were shipped by rail standing on there nose, first one must of got loose and fell over, had about an inch wore off the front bumper, had a half dollar size hole poked through one 1/4 panel and had steel rims. Told them to keep it and order another one.

rohdog50
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Ya gotta laugh.. parts people Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My brother had a 79 I think....it had a 305 motor and it was a bear to change the plugs.....lol

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Tales (OT) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters