Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Need help on an 850 dipstick question.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Off Road SHO
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Need help on an 850 dipstick question. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Does anybody have an 850 gasser nearby them and could measure the tube that the dipstick goes in? I think someone changed out my tube to a longer one, not allowing the dipstick to get anywhere close to the oil level. My tube is 9.25" exposed from block to tip but the dipstick is only 11.125". Thanks in advance.

Tom

oldseabee
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help on an 850 dipstick question. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here are a couple of pics I just took of the parts in my pile
of stuff. Is your tube tapped all the way down? The part #
is EAf 6784A.

Off Road SHO
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help on an 850 dipstick question. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

oldseabee wrote:
(quoted from post at 01:45:48 01/08/1Cool
Here are a couple of pics I just took of the parts in my pile
of stuff. Is your tube tapped all the way down? The part #
is EAf 6784A.

Well I can't see what your tube length is from the pic but it looks like the sticks are the same length. Do you happen to know what the installed length is for the tube?

Tom

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help on an 850 dipstick question. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That tube is waaaaay longer than is supposed to be. I can't go out to measure one right now. But I will tomorrow if you don't have by then. It should bright around 3.5 to 4 inches.

oldseabee
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help on an 850 dipstick question. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The tube is 11-1/4" long, only 5/8 of an inch should be
sticking out of the block where the flange stops it.

oldseabee
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help on an 850 dipstick question. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[quote="Off Road SHO"](quoted from post at 18:23:00 01/07/1Cool [quote=

Here is one I am rebuilding. As you can see, the tube is not
sticking out much at all.

pomester
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help on an 850 dipstick question. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looks good!

David

Dollar Bill
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: Need help on an 850 dipstick question. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Off Road SHO wrote:
Here is one I am rebuilding. As you can see, the tube is not sticking out much at all.

OSB, looking good!!! Appears to be a 62-64 tractor, will you please provide the paint brand and code you used?

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: Need help on an 850 dipstick question. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looks very nice.
Nice to see wood cribbing under it too.
Jack stands give me the creeps.

Off Road SHO
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help on an 850 dipstick question. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Old SeaBee. My tube doesn't have the lip, it's just a straight tube.

I like the blue, is that Corporate Ford Blue?

I'll cut off my tube but I need to know how far the dipstick needs to reach down into the pan before I do.

Tom

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help on an 850 dipstick question. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Parts site says it was 11.25 inches long. Earlier ones 10.47.
How much was inside and how much was outside, it doesn't say.
I have to get my 960 out this week so I can measure the outside
when I do. If the earlier ones, EAF-6784-B, have the same length
outside, I have a new old stock one here.

Off Road SHO
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help on an 850 dipstick question. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well if it will fit and you're willing to sell, I'll buy it.

Tom

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Need help on an 850 dipstick question. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

showcrop wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:48:57 01/07/1Cool
That tube is waaaaay longer than is supposed to be. I can't go out to measure one right now. But I will tomorrow if you don't have by then. It should bright around 3.5 to 4 inches.

I can see that I was thinking of my Datsun roadster motor.

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help on an 850 dipstick question. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The NOS ones I have won't work.
On my 960 the tube protrudes 9/16 of an inch. Just the
length from the lip to the top that OldSeaBee showed.
The dipstick itself is 11 1/4 inches from tip to the top of the cap.

oldseabee
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help on an 850 dipstick question. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a lot of different colors in rattle cans. I just spray some on scrap metal and pick what like and take it to the paint store and have them mix up some good enamel and then mix it with some hardener. I am in no way close to being a painter and my eyesight is going south with having macular degeneration.

It is just going to be a work tractor but after doing all the mechanical work on it I thought I would try and make it look
better than what is was when I started on it. As far as the original factory colors go I don’t really care. I think the Ford Guy that came up with that Buff color must have been a new Daddy and he liked the color of those new born diapers.

The Blue color I picked was Rust-Oleum ford blue engine enamel 248945. The Enamel they mixed might be a shade off.

The loader and sheet metal are Extreme Yellow with gloss hardener. I am still working on the sheet metal. This is a 64- 4130. That my story and I’m sticking
to it.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters