Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

8N piston orientation

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: 8N piston orientation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I made an idiot-like blunder and put my pistons on the connecting
rods backwards so when the dimple in the top of the piston is
pointed to the front of the engine, the oil hole in the connecting
rod is pointed to the rear of the engine instead of the front.

Of course I didn't notice until they were in the block.
Would you take them all out, take the pistons off the connecting
rods and turn them around or just turn them around in the engine
so the oil squirter is in the front and the dimple in the top of the
piston is to the rear?

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N piston orientation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

IMHO, the pistons need to be in the correct way. It really doesn't matter (on these engines) which way the rod is installed.

R Geiger
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N piston orientation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What is there about the piston that it is required to be installed with the notch facing forward? I know that is what the books asay but was wondering why.

teddy52food
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N piston orientation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wrist pin is offset to the thrust side.

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N piston orientation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-teddy52food wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:24:02 01/07/1Cool Wrist pin is offset to the thrust side.
On some engines, but are you sure that it is on this engine?

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N piston orientation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"IMHO, the pistons need to be in the correct way. It really doesn't matter (on these engines) which way the rod is installed."

This would be "leaving them as they are" Bob.
I honestly had not considered that option.

My manuals are pretty specific about the oil hole in the rod.
Not so specific about the pistons themselves.
With no explanation for either. I'm all ears!

This topic came up because I was telling some fellow "gear heads"
about my bone head blunder and what I was going to have to
do to fix it, which was take them all out and turn them around.
None of them thought I had to take them back out and fix it
the way I thought I should.

One of them was pretty adamant about "why would you take the
chance of busting a new piston or rings or something else when
all you have to do is "spin them".
But where would my ring alignment be doing that blind?

I'm already upside down as far as value goes, as is normally the
case on an N restore, so I think I'll stick with my gut and take
them back out and put everything in the right way.

But I'm still all ears on the why they recommend one way or the
other. Thanks for the advice!

ArleninOr
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N piston orientation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Royse, after all the comments, I would pull them out and put them in right. But, then what do I know. I just like doing things once and doing them right. You guys are the "Guru's". I'm just a long time user. You're call. You know what is best and what you would like to find if someone else did the rebuild. YMMV.

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N piston orientation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have put a few rod sets in backerds... The pistons were pointed in the right direction tho...

The first N engine I ever built they were in backerds and on the next one also... I never looked in the manual as I liked them that way the slots for the bearings were on the cam side and that's the way I like it...

Zane busted my bubble when he pointed out they were in wrong all I can say is they are still running strong... YMMV

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N piston orientation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"But, then what do I know."

ArleninOr, only you can tell us what you know, and you know
that "badge" of guru is based on how many posts you make.
Nothing more. I appreciate your input and your honesty.
I am inclined to agree with you. In for a penny, in for a pound.

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N piston orientation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Hobo, glad to know it wouldn't hurt to leave them as is.
What is the reason for liking the bearing slots toward the cam?

R Geiger
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N piston orientation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My FO-4 says the rods can go on in either direction as long as the caps match the rods. page 35 in myFO-4.

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N piston orientation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"My FO-4 says the rods can go on in either direction as long as the caps match"

I'll check my FO-4 tomorrow. I was basing my statement on a Ford
factory service manual that I was fortunate enough to acquire.
All the caps do match, the rods did not need to be replaced.
Not bent, twisted or warped as per the machine shop.
All of the pistons are new though, because one or two needed replacing.
And I put them all on with the same orientation.

ArleninOr
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N piston orientation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Still learning after all these years. Know more than some and less than others. How's that sound?

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N piston orientation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: 8N piston orientation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Habit (bad are good it has not bit me YET on a N)...
Belief bad habit I think it leaks on that side more.
Putting it back like I found it bad Habit....
Bad habit not reading the factory recommendation no data available at the time Sad....

Good habits are learned sometimes it cost ya the price to learn. I have found this hidden info is normally asked by folks that have not formed bad habits YET they read the manual and pick out chit that's normally just skipped over.

There appears to be a correct way your call on it if I were there with it sitting right in front of me I would not question it and go get'em... I admitted my bad I had already put many hours on them so far so good... YMMV...

I just put a used engine in my Diesel pick up I got to do most everything twice... Its made me a master are a hands on guy

Laughing

I did stupid stuff like sealing the oil pan I read the manual BUT missed the part apply a chit load of RTV on the ends I just absorbed run a 3/16 bead. Well the RTV did not squeezes out like the original set up at the rear and front covers I go back and read double up on the ends $23 more dollars and a hour later Its as it should be... Wink

I know how those's rod spose to go now... Now you know whats it gonna be...

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters