Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Ignition switch broke on 450.. now, how do I hot wire it

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
OldFarmall450
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Ignition switch broke on 450.. now, how do I hot wire it Reply to specific post Reply with quote

While working on my gas 450 ignition switch, the key was frozen I couldn't get it out. It broke off in switch. Remember, it wasn't running before, i think the old switch wasn't working. I need to move the tractor, it's in the circle drive blocking it. How do i hot wire it with no ignition switch?

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition switch broke on 450.. now, how do I hot wire i Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That is a very simple one. Run a wire from the ignition side of the battery to the ignition side of the coil. Ignition side of battery is non-ground and ignition side of coil is the wire NOT going to the distributor. Then depending on if it was key start or button start you hit the start button or if key type you jump from the small wire on the solenoid to the battery cable wire. Something I can pretty much do in my sleep and have done hundreds of times and had many people trying to figure out how I was driving there tractor back up out of where they got In trouble with it

used red MN
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition switch broke on 450.. now, how do I hot wire i Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Let?s simplify that a little leave positive and negative and ground words out of the equation as well as making a connection to the battery. Hopefully you have a test lead with two alligator clips on it. Simply connect one end to the starter terminal on the starter that the heavy battery cable in connected to. The other end to the coil terminal that as old describes does not connect to the distributor. Proceed with jumping the starter as old stated if the button doesn?t work once the jumper wire is in place. If the starter jumping is needed be very very sure the transmission is in neutral and the brakes are set before attempting this.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition switch broke on 450.. now, how do I hot wire i Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I say it the way I do because I have ran into more then one person who does not know which side of the coil is the ignition side so they hook it up to the distributor side and fry the points. Or thee try to hot wire it by hooking things up from the ground side and the of course no spark so no run. Shoot not long ago I showed a guy exactly how to hook it up and did so on his tractor as he watched me do it and he had to call me again and ask how

D Slater
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition switch broke on 450.. now, how do I hot wire i Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Original 450 switch is in the instrument and hydraulic enclosure above and to right of clutch pedal. Original only has a wire in and out. Just jump those two wires together. About any on off switch that fits hole will also work.

OldFarmall450
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition switch broke on 450.. now, how do I hot wire i Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Gentleman, thanks for the info. I don't think there is anything original to this poor girl. She has been cobbled on for the last 60 years. She currently has/ had a ignition switch AND a starter button. Recently I parked her in the drive to get a drink and she wouldn't start. I've narrowed it down to ignition system. Today I broke the key off in the ignition switch and need it moved.
Thanks.

used red MN
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition switch broke on 450.. now, how do I hot wire i Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not saying how you said it was wrong, I just never referred to the power side of the battery as the ...ignition side.. alhough by definition it is quite correct. I was just trying to make it as simple and clear as possible. Sounds like he got it to move for him and if I helped in anyway I am happy to provide that info.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition switch broke on 450.. now, how do I hot wire i Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use the simple hot wire trick to narrow down point problems all the time and also use it when some one stalls one out and I does not start back up for them and the starter jumping trick also. I've had a good number of strange looks when I jump the starter on as machine as a way to trouble shoot safety switches etc.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition switch broke on 450.. now, how do I hot wire i Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well did not say your where wrong either I just have found to explain it like I do more people understand it better and not do it wrong and fry the points which I have seen to many times and fried points can lead to smoked wires etc.

BarnyardEngineering
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition switch broke on 450.. now, how do I hot wire i Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ignition switch and starter button is stock.

The 400's had the turn-key-to-start switch, but on the 450's they switched to a separate starter button, which came on all the bigger IH tractors up until the 86 series.

MeanGene1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition switch broke on 450.. now, how do I hot wire i Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My 450 has had a universal type switch added, starter works from the switch. The original switch and button are still there, someone may have just lost the key and added the other switch as a quick fix

OldFarmall450
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition switch broke on 450.. now, how do I hot wire i Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Update, it started raining and my sciatica was killing me, so i left it for tomorrow. What puzzles me is the multiple positions on the switch. I know I set it at the third one then use the button to start it. Was this the original design?
I'm a big fan of having a key and a button to start... my nephews stayed with me and even being told to stay off the tractor i learned they had tried to start it but couldn't. Now I take the rotor bug when I leave it.

BarnyardEngineering
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition switch broke on 450.. now, how do I hot wire i Reply to specific post Reply with quote

AFAIK, it should be a simple on-off key switch.

OldFarmall450
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition switch broke on 450.. now, how do I hot wire i Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Barnyard, as I said earlier, everything else has been changed on Charlene, no reason why the ignition switch should be different.

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition switch broke on 450.. now, how do I hot wire i Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The original had two positions Off and on with a rubber push button fro the starter. Jim

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters