Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Governor mysteries

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TVZ
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Governor mysteries Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not that I really know anything about it, but I wish I could just take the governor right out of my 9N.

I put a new one in a year ago because I couldn't get the tractor to run as fast as it should, and I had tried most everything else. That did seem to get it to run a lot faster, although I've never been sure I got everything adjusted just right. This morning, though, I suddenly found myself with very little power or speed.

In the garage I found that if I disconnect the gov and work the throttle on the carb, I can get it to run as fast as I want. I find that w/ both linkages disconnected from the gov, I cannot move the gov lever using reasonable force. W/ the throttle lever connected, I can move it some but it doesn't seem to do much. Do you have any idea what's going on here?

TVZ
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Governor mysteries Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Okay, it turns out there was a loose cable at the distributor! The hard-to-move governor lever must either be normal (?) or a coincidental issue. Can anybody tell me if my governor levers should be easy to move when disconnected from the carb & throttle lever?

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Governor mysteries Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-TVZ wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:46:48 01/08/1Cool Okay, it turns out there was a loose cable at the distributor! The hard-to-move governor lever must either be normal (?) or a coincidental issue. Can anybody tell me if my governor levers should be easy to move when disconnected from the carb & throttle lever?
Can't remember about the one connected to carb (outside on gov, closest to engine), but the other arm is only connected to ANYTHING by the throttle rod and the spring between the two arms. If those are removed & stlll binds, then the only thing remaining is the bushing where arm rides on gov housing......no internal connections on this arm.

TVZ
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: Governor mysteries Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So the governor arms should swing freely when disconnected from their linkage attachments (at least the one connected to the carb)? Is there something that can cause the bushing to bind them?

R Geiger
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Governor mysteries Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-TVZ wrote:
(quoted from post at 05:43:55 01/10/1Cool So the governor arms should swing freely when disconnected from their linkage attachments (at least the one connected to the carb)? Is there something that can cause the bushing to bind them?

I got one in my shop off of an 8n. the short arm moves and the spring moves it back real easy. The long arm moves but it is pretty stiff. On the tractor the short one moves with control handle and the long moves with it to start with and stops moving about half way up. this is with the engine not running.
hope this helps

TVZ
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Governor mysteries Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mine are both almost impossible to move (on the tractor, with both linkages disconnected). I
wonder if I got a bum governor. Can a bushing be defective and cause such a thing? Or could
something else be causing this?

R Geiger
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Governor mysteries Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-TVZ wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:44:57 01/10/1Cool Mine are both almost impossible to move (on the tractor, with both linkages disconnected). I
wonder if I got a bum governor. Can a bushing be defective and cause such a thing? Or could
something else be causing this?

I think I would take it apart and see what is going on, they are easy to take apart.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters