Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

951 felt steering pedestal seal

View previous topic :: View next topic  
riveroadrat
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject: 951 felt steering pedestal seal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I asked about this seal before, I can only find it on the 951 model. It goes below the huge bearing at the bottom. When i cleaned the old pieces of the seal away there are two 1/4 moon notches where the felt goes. Are these to hold the felt seal still while turning left and right?

riveroadrat
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 951 felt steering pedestal seal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Make that a 950. Felt seal part #NCB 3215A.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 951 felt steering pedestal seal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I looked this up and I'll bet that the situation is that the felt seal was superseded by the rubber seal. I have found this a few times on old stuff that there were unsealed bearings with a felt ring next to them to hopefully keep dust out. On later models the felt was superseded with a real seal.

riveroadrat
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 951 felt steering pedestal seal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It was doing a good job, the bearing looks great. Its sort of a weird setup, the only rubber seal is where the shaft goes into the gearbox oil reservoir. I didnt know if they used a long fiber grease or what. This is on a 64 4000 rowcrop actually, it doesnt show a bottom seal at CNH for this year but there was some sort of grease soaked fiber that has broken down. I may just lather it with Lucas red and tacky. I know where I can get a felt seal cut to whatever size I need. Besides the steering link mount holes there are two 1/4 moon notches about 1/2" thick and 1/2 wide on the face where the felt? was.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: 951 felt steering pedestal seal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-riveroadrat wrote:
(quoted from post at 21:23:13 01/10/1Cool It was doing a good job, the bearing looks great. Its sort of a weird setup, the only rubber seal is where the shaft goes into the gearbox oil reservoir. I didnt know if they used a long fiber grease or what. This is on a 64 4000 rowcrop actually, it doesnt show a bottom seal at CNH for this year but there was some sort of grease soaked fiber that has broken down. I may just lather it with Lucas red and tacky. I know where I can get a felt seal cut to whatever size I need. Besides the steering link mount holes there are two 1/4 moon notches about 1/2" thick and 1/2 wide on the face where the felt? was.

Your last post sates that you were asking about a 950, now it is a 4000. These two tractors have a totally different pedestals. The lower parts are not at all interchangeable.

riveroadrat
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: 951 felt steering pedestal seal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The only place I could find that bottom seal was on a 950 at CNH. Its on the one piece pedestal which changed in 57. I thought maybe another member would have experience with that seal. I just know mine had some sort of seal down there even though its not shown in the parts list. I just checked CNH and the bottom bearings are different so the felt seal would be a different size. How about anyone who has been into a split pedestal from 57-64? Anyone out there know about that bottom seal?

riveroadrat
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: 951 felt steering pedestal seal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The only place I could find that bottom seal was on a 950 at CNH. Its on the one piece pedestal which changed in 57. I thought maybe another member would have experience with that seal. I just know mine had some sort of seal down there even though its not shown in the parts list. I just checked CNH and the bottom bearings are different so the felt seal would be a different size. How about anyone who has been into a split pedestal from 57-64? Anyone out there know about that bottom seal?

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters