Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Installing two-post lift

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedMF40
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Installing two-post lift Reply to specific post Reply with quote

At some point I'll be putting a lift in my shop. Considering doing the job myself with helpers. I have plenty of room up top and side to side, with good concrete floor. I've been reading up on the topic, wanted to know if anyone here has tackled that job, has any suggestions. The lift I have in mind has overhead "bridge" for plumbing/cables. Floor is clear. Thanks for any advice, Gary in Maryland.

Roger Tomfohrde
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Installing two-post lift Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just make sure your concrete floor is thick enough. We put in a small swinging crane(300LB) and had to go down 18 inches for a base.

DRussell
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing two-post lift Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a Bendpak two post lift. It requires 4 inches of concrete and 12 feet of ceiling height. The posts are heavy, especially with the carriages inside them, which have to be put inside the posts while they are laying horizontal. I would think you would want a minimum of 3 guys helping with the install, preferably 4. Mine was installed by Bendpak's installer. I watched them do the install. I would tackle the cable setup after watching them, but it can be complicated if you've not been around lifts very much.

Don't drill the holes in your concrete until you have the post standing where you want it.

RedMF40
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing two-post lift Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks, There is also the possibility I'll have the pros do the installation. I like to know about any technical issues ahead of time and be able to talk to the installers somewhat intelligently. The four inch concrete base is the minimum thickness from my reading on the subject.

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing two-post lift Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Four inches of chalky old concrete is not enough, 4 inches of crisp old concrete or reinforced or Fiber mesh concrete is fine.
Position the lift so the vehicles can be placed at or near their center of gravity (take the load out of the bed!!!) Jim

sotxbill
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing two-post lift Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would be worried that a two post lift would require much more concrete than the average floor has, unless you hit a beam.

JF in MI
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing two-post lift Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I put one in this spring. I got the type with the cables and hoses going through a plate on the floor because I wanted a clear span above (I wanted to be sure it would clear my
full size van). I have a 5" floor with a huge amount of re-rod. Amazing I didn't hit one when drilling the holes. Just for the hell of it I put bracing angle iron from the tops
of the posts to the side framework of my building. The uprights were too heavy to even drag across the floor. Lifted them with the bucket loader onto car dollies then pulled
them upright with a block and tackle attached to roof beams. Once upright they can be walked into place. Watched a video on how to install the posts and they recommended
construction epoxy in the holes. They said to fill the holes 2/3 with epoxy (I found 1/3 is plenty). Learned the hard way to put a rag around the bolt before pounding them into
place so as not to take an epoxy bath. Let the epoxy harden overnight and the next day the bolts tighten up without moving. I think the bolt torque was something like 130 lbs
and my arms were a couple of inches longer after doing the job. The important thing is, since you are reading this you already own a tractor, being able to unload it from the
shipping truck.

Mike Groom
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing two-post lift Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've installed two of them,just follow the instructions and they go real easy,the first one we used my loader tractor to stand the post up,the second one 4 of us
stood them up after we put them in place with a bobcat.Lay everything out on the concrete with chalk lines and make sure the columns are level both
directions,both ours had the overhead cables and hyds. We anchored the control post and stood the second one up and supported it while we fastened the top rail to
it,then leveled the second post and anchored it (just to double check our dims.)they both came out real close to the chalk marks.It's really very simple to do
with a couple of buddy's helping.I wired mine with conduit pulled wires for a welding outlet and a 110 outlet on the control post,one of the smartest things I
ever did,use both of them a lot!As stated by others just make sure the concrete is 4 inches or more and you're good to go. Have fun with it,wish I would have put
mine in 35 years ago when I bought the place.

RedMF40
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing two-post lift Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, nice-looking lift and good installation. Yes, I have loader tractor, should handle the heavy stuff no problem. Curious about the epoxy:

"Let the epoxy harden overnight and the next day the bolts tighten up without moving. I think the bolt torque was something like 130 lbs"

Was it JUST epoxy in the holes with the bolts, or did you use an anchor of some kind for the bolts to screw into? Probably different ways to do this, just wondering how it worked with the epoxy.

JF in MI
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing two-post lift Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The bolts that came with the lift are the "expanding" anchor type but I found they can continue to slip as they are being tightened and the top winds up being higher out of the
hole than is called for in the instructions (dangerous, can pull out). With the epoxy they don't move AT ALL.

JF in MI
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing two-post lift Reply to specific post Reply with quote

One other thing; The epoxy manufacturers have it figured out pretty good. You'll run out of the tube just as you have 2 bolts to go.

Dieseltech
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing two-post lift Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The two post lift in my shop has a heavy length of angle iron to spread the load at the beam base on each beam. If I recall the floor is five inch with re-enforcement wire when it was poured in 1992.

RedMF40
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing two-post lift Reply to specific post Reply with quote

01/10/1Cool The bolts that came with the lift are the "expanding" anchor type but I found they can continue to slip as they are being tightened and the top winds up being higher out of the
hole than is called for in the instructions (dangerous, can pull out). With the epoxy they don't move AT ALL.[/quote]

Ok, thanks. Just watched a video and I have a better understanding of how the epoxy works. Will make sure to get two tubes if I go that way LOL Wink

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing two-post lift Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The torque on my anchor bolts are 60 maybe 80 no were near 130

Shocked

My son and I have put up 12 are so nuttin to it, I ordered mine 2' taller than normal clear floor type its the only way to fly... The last three I brought in 2002 were Worth they are a very strong well built lift made in the USA... What do you plan to lift if its more than a 1/2 ton truck I would go at the least 12K I have a 12K wished I had got a 15K... I still have the first one I brought its a Mohawk
A-7 I brought it around 1985 they were 5K with a lifetime warranty.

hd6gtom
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing two-post lift Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Do these use a cable over hydraulic or chain over hydraulic?? If they are cable operated and you see any
fraying of the cable -- the cable needs to be replaced immiediatly. They used to run around $1200.00 for the
cables.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters