Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Oliver garden tractor

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmohr
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Oliver garden tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I know of an Oliver lawn tractor that's tucked away in a shed. I know they are not common. I'm assuming they are fairly valuable? The owner said it was the smallest one made. Should I peruse this tractor. What's an approximate value. Thanks

Tom Arnold
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Oliver garden tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Since you have no problem assuming, then I assume that you will not object to me assuming.

I assume that you are not a collector/restorer of old lawn and garden tractors since you know nothing about the Oliver line other than they are not common. If I am right, then I further assume that your only interest is to try and make a fast buck by buying it cheap and then flipping it for the highest dollar.

How am I doing? Is that what your motive is? If so, please take your money and speculate with Bitcoin or some other currency instead of depriving a true collector/restorer of the chance to add this tractor to his collection at a reasonable price?

jmohr
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Oliver garden tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You are way wrong. I am an avid Case collector, director for a steam and gas power threshing show, and a person that loves to preserve history. With that I know very little about Garden tractors and especially the Oliver brand. My grandfather owned an Oliver dealership in town for a short time after WW II. I know it's not the right era, but I would love to have an Oliver and this would fit on a trailer with a farm tractor when we go to shows. I'm also looking for something my boys can operate and display at a show. The owner is a distant neighbor and cousin that I don't want to take advantage of. Sorry to give the wrong impression. Can you give me more information? Thanks

steve_in_mo
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Oliver garden tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can look that up on the Tractor Data website.
They were only made one year, 1972, and were
made by Jacobsen.

Married2Allis
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Oliver garden tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

'Collectable' garden tractor values have done nothing but fall for the last 20 years. Exactly what that old Oliver is worth is what it's worth to you. One man's junk is another man's treasure.

If you want it make a reasonable offer. Then dump $$$ into restoring it and take it to some shows. You'll enjoy showing it and people will enjoy looking at it. But don't expect it to be worth any more than what you paid for it originally.

ztr mowers
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Oliver garden tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

last ones i seen sell in october brought 3000.00 t0 4000.00 one of the units had no deck

Brian G. NY
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Oliver garden tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well maybe.......
I found pictures of both the pre '72 angle iron frame style and the '72 tube frame style. They were built by Jacobsen.
I have several of the Fords (both styles) made by Jacobsen.
The Fords are not particularly collectible because there were many more of them sold than even the Jacobsen labeled tractors.
They are great, sturdy little machines.

Sprint 6
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Oliver garden tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That top picture is not a true Oliver. They
were only made in the style of the lower
pic. Somebody has turned an earlier tractor
into an Oliver.

Brian G. NY
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Oliver garden tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yep, that's why I said "maybe".....it didn't look quite right to me either.
I just found another "made up" early Oliver tractor and discussion about it not being real.

Lance Skene
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Oliver garden tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Both models were built, and also available as White or Minneapolis Moline

Sprint 6
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Oliver garden tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That is one someone has made. The early Jakes were built as Fords and Minnie Moes, and Whites, but not as Olivers. The true Olivers were all built in
one year as variants of the GT series Jake ('73ish?) and sold for two years. Any early style Jake done as an Oliver is a fake, or "tribute", as people like to call fakes now.

DoubleO7
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Oliver garden tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The 1972 is still not an Oliver.

Having some other company build something in it's entirety and slapping your logos on it just ain't "right".

Tom Arnold
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Oliver garden tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Before making such an outrageous statement as that, you should do some research into the history of lawn and garden tractors.

Massey Ferguson never made a lawn or garden tractor but they certainly had other companies build them for them, such as Ingersoll. Allis Chalmers had their tractors built by Simplicity. One of the biggest companies in the
business of building re-branded tractors is MTD.

This practice goes on today, even with the larger tractors. Case no long makes any garden tractors, sub-CUT's or CUT's. John Deere, Ford, Massey also sub out the production of the smaller tractors. As often said.....if you
cannot beat them, then just join them. The costs involved with R&D, tooling, testing, warehousing parts for the small tractors is huge and American companies cannot compete against the products coming from India, Japan
and other Asian countries

DoubleO7
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Oliver garden tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It still ain't right, no matter who builds them and who's logo is slapped onto it.

The only good part of it is maybe spare parts are readily available via the company that actually built them.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Garden Tractors All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters