Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Pipe threading

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevinj54
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Pipe threading Reply to specific post Reply with quote

showcrop wrote:
(quoted from post at 08:53:49 01/11/1Cool
Any chance of removing the stub length back to the last coupling or elbow?

That is generally how our plumbers would do it.

Today you can rent a crimp tool and put a valve on it with a plug.

Stan in Oly, WA
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Pipe threading Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Heyseed; I have that Harbor Freight pipe threading set and it has served me well for many years---so many years in fact, like almost 40, that the odds of it being the same as the ones they are selling now would be very low. Before I owned that set I once rented a Rigid brand pipe threader and cutting dies from a rental shop in the poor end of Seattle. (BTW, Seattle doesn't have a poor end any more.) The young man who ran the rental place for his parents was a no nonsense person who had seen customers try to pull every possible trick. I doubt that anybody managed to put one over on him by then. Anyway, I started cutting some 1" galvanized steel pipe and some teeth broke off the cutting die. I knew I had used it correctly, but the young man didn't know me, so I expected quite an argument from him. Instead, what he said was that he would normally make me pay for the damage, but a regular customer of his who he knew to be experienced and careful had brought the tool back with the same problem, so he assumed that Rigid had released a bad batch of dies. I tell this as a warning that a high quality brand doesn't necessarily guarantee a trouble free product---it only gives you better odds.

You've gotten some very good suggestions here about how to deal with your problem without trying to thread the pipe end you've got to work with. I'd strongly advise you to use the best alternative you can find that doesn't involve threading your pipe. My extensive experience dealing with old plumbing is that trying to correct a problem leads to one or more other problems more often than not. The things that could go wrong with your situation are the stuff of nightmares.

Stan

Heyseed
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Pipe threading Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for all the suggestions, I used a Dresser Compression Fitting and a capped off nipple. It did the job, I added a bit of safety wire which felt like overkill, but why not.

Fred Werring
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Pipe threading Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Huh...never even heard of a Dresser coupling before.

Learn something every day

Fred

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters