Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

9n ignition switch left on

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidbrodhead
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: 9n ignition switch left on Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I left my ignition switch on by mistake. Battery was dead when I discovered my error. What has been damaged ?

Tony in SD
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 9n ignition switch left on Reply to specific post Reply with quote

More tan likely the points. Maybe the coil too.

Richard from SE AZ
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 9n ignition switch left on Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If your tractor still has the cut out relay, take out the points unit and replace it with a diode ( bridge rectifier ). I did that to mine about five years ago and even after leaving the key on a number of times when tinkering with it, I have never had a dead battery. The diode only allows current in one direction. I will post a picture tomorrow of a spare I set up and have not had to use.

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 9n ignition switch left on Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The "cutout" in the charging system has NOTHING to do with draining the battery on an otherwise properly functioning tractor that has suffered the misfortune of it's operator being careless/forgetful and leaving the switch on.

At that point (engine stopped) it should have already disconnected the generator from the battery.

Tony in SD
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:09 am    Post subject: Re: 9n ignition switch left on Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree with Bob, nothing to do with the regulator if it is operating properly.
I?m talking about the ignition points in the distributor not relay contacts in the regulator.

Tim PloughNman Daley
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: 9n ignition switch left on Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Points are probably burned up -pull distributor and rebuild, do not need any fancy components, OEM stock is just fine. While at it get battery tested, replaced if necessary, and fully charged if still good.

Tim Daley(MI)

cowdog
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: 9n ignition switch left on Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Why don't you just charge the battery and try and start it before you start throwing parts at it.

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: 9n ignition switch left on Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As cowdog said, charge the battery (see tip # 60) & try to start it. If it doesn't start see, tip # 38.
75 Tips

Clifford B.
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: 9n ignition switch left on Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-cowdog wrote:
(quoted from post at 05:25:44 01/11/1Cool Why don't you just charge the battery and try and start it before you start throwing parts at it.

My thoughts also, been there myself and it fired right up after a recharge.......

HFJ
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 9n ignition switch left on Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Clifford B. wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:13:20 01/11/1Cool
CVPost-cowdog wrote:
(quoted from post at 05:25:44 01/11/1Cool Why don't you just charge the battery and try and start it before you start throwing parts at it.

My thoughts also, been there myself and it fired right up after a recharge.......

same here, altho in my case, it required swapping out the battery. it was marginal to begin with, and that little oversight killed it.

that was in my WD, which has a toggle switch for the ignition. that's on my list of things to replace this winter. i figure i'm less likely to leave a key in the ignition than to fail to notice the position of a toggle.

tractorguy2
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 9n ignition switch left on Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Leaving the key on will sometimes ruin the points. If it has been converted to 12 volt. It can burn out the diode in the Delco alternators.

I would just charge the battery, try to start it and see what works/ doesn't work.

davidbrodhead
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 9n ignition switch left on Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I lucked out. Charged dead battery all day. Tractor instantly fired up like nothing had ever happened. I guess I have used up all my luck for 2018 !
Thanks for everybody's input.

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 9n ignition switch left on Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yep, you're a lucky man. If your tractor is 12v, you are a very, very lucky man. Go buy a lottery ticket!

HFJ
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 9n ignition switch left on Reply to specific post Reply with quote

mine's 12 volt as well. how lucky are we?

davidbrodhead
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 9n ignition switch left on Reply to specific post Reply with quote

mine is a 6V system

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters