Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Getting back into the Farming Life the old fashion way

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dugger
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting back into the Farming Life the old fashion way Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[quote="1923 Gleaner"](reply to post at 12:29:39 01/14/18) [/quote]

Amen 1923 gleaner

flying belgian
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting back into the Farming Life the old fashion way Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"I guess I should have gotten a factory union job out of high school and had the yearly raise and a package with paid health care then now I would want to "farm"." What's stopping
you? To use your words---there are union jobs opening up every day somewhere in the state--- go get one. Myself, I love being a full time farmer. I have made some good decisions and
done quite well. Some were luck, most were skill. My health and the health of my family has been good so far and for that I am blessed. Others have not been so fortunate with
health and I can appreciate how that would turn your life upside down no matter what your occupation. Give me the farm life any day.

studebakerjim
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting back into the Farming Life the old fashion way Reply to specific post Reply with quote

1923 Gleaner, You come off as a very bitter person. Somehow you have placed me as a city person and a factory worker. Well I'm not, and I don't have anything against those people. A lot of those people keep you running on the farm. You sure don't drive out to the country to buy parts. We always called it, Running to town to get parts. I completely understand the high costs of everything in the farming business. Farming is the one business where you buy retail and sell wholesale. Am I looking to become rich??? No not at all, I just miss the life on the farm. If farming is treating you so bad then sell the farm and move to the city!!

1923 Gleaner
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting back into the Farming Life the old fashion way Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-studebakerjim wrote:
(quoted from post at 02:39:32 01/15/1Cool 1923 Gleaner, You come off as a very bitter person. Somehow you have placed me as a city person and a factory worker. Well I'm not, and I don't have anything against those people. A lot of those people keep you running on the farm. You sure don't drive out to the country to buy parts. We always called it, Running to town to get parts. I completely understand the high costs of everything in the farming business. Farming is the one business where you buy retail and sell wholesale. Am I looking to become rich??? No not at all, I just miss the life on the farm. If farming is treating you so bad then sell the farm and move to the city!!

Bitter, maybe. Realistic, He11 Yes. There is no damned way you are going to make a living on 320 acres let alone give 1/3 in rent. You must have something you are not willing to tell us that is going to put food on the table and the bills paid so you can "Play" farm. Fess up, what is the magic goose you have that you are not willing to tell. You started this Alice in Wonderland Thread!

Destroked 450
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting back into the Farming Life the old fashion way Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There's people that work the factory jobs who romance about the easy farm life.
Those people that work the soil who romance about that high paying factory union job.
There's others that romance about having ether one, the high paying job or land they can call their own.
It's always been that way.

I grew up on a small farm, still live there, spent 30 years driving trucks supplementing the farm before building 3 poultry barns and becoming a contract grower.
Wife quit her public job to raise chickens, I retired from trucking to help maintain the equipment, clean the buildings between flocks and manage our 70 head beef cattle operation.
We operate on 180 acres of hay and pasture ground with that much more in timber, no row crops other than 8-10 acres of corn we pick on the ear and grind for cattle feed.

We're not rich but we're happy and enjoy our farm life, I'm 62 and am not looking forward to the end of life, it'll get here soon enough, I'd gladly back up 20-30 years if I could.

All of my tractors are older 40-75hp Fords, having grown up on these old tractors, to me their simple to operate and easy to work on. I try to do any major repairs during winter months and have a spare tractor should one go down during crop season, also have a couple of parts tractors laying around should I have a major component failure.
The mower and round baler are late models replacing older models that had served me well, like an old much used combine their days of continued dependable service had come to pass and any repairs done were only temporary.
I do have an old NH 270 square baler, but for 2-300 square bales per year I can't justify replacing it with a newer model.

This may sound dumb to some but I'm not a row cropper and don't live in big row crop country.
What's a quarter section?
Here we just go by acres.

4020 electrician
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting back into the Farming Life the old fashion way Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Organic.. I am and you might as well get good equipment.. It doesn't matter if your conventional or organic when you need to get it you better get it...That's preplant, plant, spray or cultivate etc., harvest, transport, clean and maintenance everything through the year. I do 320 between mine and custom plus have a headache for a job.. But I can mysteriously leave for a couple weeks and I'm here to tell you equipment has to be "well cared for"..

studebakerjim
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting back into the Farming Life the old fashion way Reply to specific post Reply with quote

1923 Gleaner, In my post(s) I never stated this was going to be my only source of income did I? AND why do I have to tell you anything about my finances? And I quote you "I am so glad I am closer to the end of life than the beginning" unquote, if this is truly where you"re at in life, I"ll lend you my shovel. You must be a real treat at the morning coffee.

Nick m
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting back into the Farming Life the old fashion way Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Somebody sure is making a lot of empty
assumptions about someone else's life he
knows nothing about..........

The guy was looking for advice on equipment
and you jump into this. Not sure what you
are trying to prove.

AJB-830
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting back into the Farming Life the old fashion way Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Will I kind of was away from the farm for about 35 years when I worked for a large corporation in the Chicago area. But I never really left the farm as I came home on weekends and vacations to plant, make hay, combine, fill silo, and plow. So I do know what farming is all about. Now I just hobby farm my fathers 80 acre dairy farm for something to do in my retirement years. I don't do it to make money. I'd rather be farming than golfing. So I can understand why you would like to farm again after 30 years.

Unfortunately this is probably not the best time to get into farming with the low prices we are receiving. Corn and wheat are less than 1/2 of what they were just 4 or 5 years ago, but farm input costs are the same, except maybe for fuel. Unless you already own your land and machinery, it will be hard to just break even in the next year or two, let alone make a living. But if you are doing it for a retirement hobby like me, I think you will like it. Maybe in a couple of years farm prices will turn around and farmers will once again make a nice profit. Good luck on your new venture.
Al

studebakerjim
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting back into the Farming Life the old fashion way Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Haters will hate. I really appreciate those that have offered some GREAT ADVICE!!!! I will answer some of the questions that you've asked.

1923 Gleaner
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting back into the Farming Life the old fashion way Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-AJB-830 wrote:
(quoted from post at 04:31:14 01/15/1Cool Will I kind of was away from the farm for about 35 years when I worked for a large corporation in the Chicago area. But I never really left the farm as I came home on weekends and vacations to plant, make hay, combine, fill silo, and plow. So I do know what farming is all about. Now I just hobby farm my fathers 80 acre dairy farm for something to do in my retirement years. I don't do it to make money. I'd rather be farming than golfing. So I can understand why you would like to farm again after 30 years.

Unfortunately this is probably not the best time to get into farming with the low prices we are receiving. Corn and wheat are less than 1/2 of what they were just 4 or 5 years ago, but farm input costs are the same, except maybe for fuel. Unless you already own your land and machinery, it will be hard to just break even in the next year or two, let alone make a living. But if you are doing it for a retirement hobby like me, I think you will like it. Maybe in a couple of years farm prices will turn around and farmers will once again make a nice profit. Good luck on your new venture.
Al

Exactly what I was meaning. There is no way 320 acres of milo will make anything. Yet the pie in the sky dreamers keep on dreaming. There is no way the thing will pencil out yet the guy wants everyone to think he has the secret. Turns out the secret must be a large amount of cash from somewhere other than a farm that is going to let this guy play farmer. Sounds like he already knows the coffee shop BS route. With those jokers in the morning the first liar doesn't stand a chance. This guy will fit right in. Let us know in 2 years how much this dream has lost.

WGM
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting back into the Farming Life the old fashion way Reply to specific post Reply with quote

He is blinded by religion of the color green

studebakerjim
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting back into the Farming Life the old fashion way Reply to specific post Reply with quote

1923 Gleaner, Go back and read my original post, I stated more corn then milo. I'm sure you have offended many on here with your take on the morning coffee comment. You have to be losing your rear at farming since you're unable to stay on track. As you have proven post after post pertaining to my original thread. You should probably consider putting your land up for rent. Take some much needed time in therapy or find a support group for people that are unkind and not real resourceful.

fdt860
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Getting back into the Farming Life the old fashion way Reply to specific post Reply with quote

let people be dreamers and leave their dream. If at the end of the year, this does not loose more money that what you loose every year if you bought a new F450 and caravan from depreciation, he is doing good.

I would like too to buy a farm in as well in the near future.

Being able to remove taxes for repairs and expenses on old tractors that I would have had anyway is a sure benefit + farm fuel + cash from custom work

studebakerjim
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Getting back into the Farming Life the old fashion way Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Actually JD dealerships are very plentiful around my area versus all other makes. Logistically it just makes good sense to go Green.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Combines and Harvesters All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters