Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Getting back into the Farming Life the old fashion way

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
studebakerjim
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Getting back into the Farming Life the old fashion way Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have been away from the family farm for 30 years now and want to get back into the game. Corn and milo will be the main crop, shooting for more corn then milo. But anyway, I want to farm a little different then the others in the neighborhood. I want to run all John Deere. Looking to farm a couple of quarters dryland.

What would you guys recommend for a planter? 4 and/or 6 row. Combine, I've thought about a 4400 or a 6600, heck even a 55 up would be fun.

Just looking for some input from those with experience. Are the older JD 45 up 105 combines hard to find parts for? Mostly the common wearable parts. I greatly appreciate all feed back.

Thanks
Jim

flying belgian
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting back into the Farming Life the old fashion way Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Oh Jim, Jim, Jim. I don't know how your finances are but do yourself a favor and get some newer equip. Get yourself a nice 1750 6 row or even 12 row. 9400 combine. 7130 fwa. for tillage and a 4050 for the planter and wagons and sprayer. You can just go out and farm then instead of fix, fix, fix.

olgentdc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting back into the Farming Life the old fashion way Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Must be a Jim Disease ,,. LOL ,.. Flying Belgian is mostly right , if you can afford it,.. get up to date equipment ,,.. you should read some of my posts about the frustrations of being the only mechanic working on old stuff , trying to farm 300 acres ,.. i do like tinkering , and fixing,..i dont like being 3 weeks behind schedule ..and being broke down ...

studebakerjim
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting back into the Farming Life the old fashion way Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That would be awesome, but based on the total acres that are being farmed why have so much expense? Maybe in time I could move up to that caliber of equipment. But cash on the barrel is my way.

Princeton Bill
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting back into the Farming Life the old fashion way Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not to be a smart a. , but is a studebaker you?re main mode of transportation? Old equipment is okay if you have less than 50 acres. Anymore than that you want ?older? equipment. If you want all John Deere then try to go with something like a 4430. Or newer. Better hydraulics nicer cab etc. For a combine I?d point out that a ?00? or ?20? series will do a good job. But they are hard to work on. A 9400 will do a great job and handles 6 row head. Which gets us to input costs. With corn costing $300 a bag you want a planter that will do a good job of getting it in the corn and a combine that will get it all in the bin. In my opinion you have to many acres to be a hobby farmer?unless Your pockets are pretty deep. So you are going to have to strike a balance between old cheap probably well worn equipment and newer items with more life left in it.

ss55
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting back into the Farming Life the old fashion way Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thirty years ago that size equipment would have worked for someone farming 320 acres full time, if the equipment was in good condition. If you have a full time off-farm job and need to do all your farm work on weekends and a few evenings, I think you would be very short on capacity, without any breakdowns.

3020G
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting back into the Farming Life the old fashion way Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jim I would suggest paying attention to the others advice for the most part. I know most can spend others money a lot easier than their own. I also have experienced the pain of working on stuff all the time.

When I was a kid we farm 650 acres with a 1066 IH, 1105 MF, and a 3020 JD. Our biggest combine we ever had was a TR70 New Holland. We would work on SOMETHING EVERY MORNING, NOON, AND NIGHT. It may be as little as a duct tape job on a auger. Or as major as doing injectors in the 3208 combine. Believe me it gets really old having to do something all the time.

I also understand the idea of owning everything paid for. I really understand your spot Jim I feel the same way but on a much smaller acreage. For what a 4400 that is dependable is worth you can step into a 7720 or 8820 for roughly the same price. Tractors being your choice I've seen guys farm a lot of ground with a pair of 4020's.

The biggest thing I can suggest is like someone else said some of the equipment you suggested is what guys were using to farm that kind of acreage full time. So if that isn't an option for you then I would look at newer or bigger or both.

Good look in your adventure!

WGM
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting back into the Farming Life the old fashion way Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good luck! Sounds like you have been reading way too many Mother Earth News Mags. Also CaseIH Magnum tractors and Axial Flow combines will put John Deere to shame every time.

JD Seller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting back into the Farming Life the old fashion way Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well the game sure has changed in 30 years. Your not telling us if your going to be a full time farmer or part time with a city job. If your going to be part time then your going to need at least a six row planter and more than likely a 12 row on 320 acres. As for Combine once again it is how fast you want to harvest. If you have all fall to get in 320 acres then a smaller/older combine would work but if your splitting time then a more modern machine would be better.

Also remember that the machines you have in your "MIND" as being current are still thirty years older because that was when you where around them last. SO you more than likely need to go with a little newer than your thinking on machinery. You can buy a pretty good JD 6620 for not much money. A JD 7000 6x30 planter can be bought reasonable too. I would NOT consider a JD 105 or 55 to harvest 320 acres today. You would spend more in gas and repairs than you could hire it done for.

As for being "different" than your neighbors. That is not all bad but remember not all of them just have the BTO complex. The profit margin on an acre of corn is way less than it was 30 years ago. So more acres are needed to meet living expenses than your used to.

TDS
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: Getting back into the Farming Life the old fashion way Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I farm around 800 acres, milk 60-70 cows and don't hire anything done and my newest piece of machinery is 1982, everything is old but I keep it up in shape, don't listen to the people telling you to get newer equipment, a 7000 6 row planter will do just as good as job as a new planter and you can pick those up for 2000, as a combine I'd look for a clean 7720, easier to work on then a 9500 because of less electrical B's, parts are cheaper because alot can be found in salvage yards. Don't underestimate older equipment it pays the bills instead of making them.

fdt860
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Getting back into the Farming Life the old fashion way Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The JD brand is the easiest to run because of parts support, but not the cheapest.
You can find "not desirable tractors" in great shape such as Allis Chalmers 7045, "not desirable combines" such as Gleaner R70, very late Massey 860, etc, for cheap.

And for tractors if Deeres, go to the Deere 4620, 4630, 4640 (so called large frames but with same frame width than the others...). They are cheaper, stronger, better ride, parts easy to get at same price. Not the 4430 as they will be more beaten up at same price than 4630.

1206SWMO
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Getting back into the Farming Life the old fashion way Reply to specific post Reply with quote

After sitting out of farming for a few years I started back up again in 1997 on 360 acres...
My two tractors were 1206 IH's,my planter was a 800 IH 6 row,and my combine was a 715 IH
and I later got a 1420 IH....I grew wheat,milo,beans,and corn...With the double crop soybeans
I got over 440 acres every year plus cut 100 acres of wheat for the neighbor...I worked a full
time job and used my vacation to farm..I got a long just fine with this size machinery as my
planting and combing season was pretty spread out..I had some break downs but always got
it done..

if you are going to raise milo you must be in Texas,Oklahoma,Colorado,or Kansas.....A 6 row
planter will work fine for only 320 acres..You need to select clean low hour machinery to make
this work..I'd go no older than a 4420- 6620-7720 JD combine..

40 years ago there were farmers in my area that farmed 800-1200 acres with a 6 row planter,15 ft drill,
and a 15 ft combine and 4 row corn head..They were full time and the machinery was bought new..
They worked lots of hours but got it done..

2002sliverado
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Getting back into the Farming Life the old fashion way Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I skimmed through the comments of others and would tend to agree with a lot of what was mentioned. I am a part time farmer and cover a couple "short quarters." The tractors I use for much of the field work range in age from 1974 to 1994. The most used tractor is a 4640 with Quad-Range transmission. I picked this up 11 years ago from a retired farmer who put it up for sale on a consignment basis. It was a clean, seemed to be well kept, low hour tractor with just under 5000 hours. Since, it has had the entire rear end gone through and a complete out of frame overhaul to the engine. All of this was not cheap. There are those who might have said I should have scrapped it and bought something newer with what I stuck into it. First, I am not one to send a problem down the road for someone else to face, and secondly, I do not want to be on the receiving end of that type of situation, either. We have some pretty good ideas as to what caused these two major issues on this tractor, as everything about it clearly showed the hours were accurate. This tractor gets used more than any other one as it plants, cultivates (yes, we do still cultivate), hauls grain, gets used on the stalk chopper, and hooked up to the chisel plow from time to time. For what I cover, I have gross overkill on tractors and horsepower, but with the tractors I have, I do have one I can resort to using if another goes down in season. I have a shop I work with where most service work is done, and I try to keep everything in top notch running condition. I think I have the best kept and nicest "fleet" of older equipment around. That said, I think you may want to find a 12 row planter, as there are a ton of Max-Emerge planters out there for a reasonable price, and we still have ours, which was purchased in 1982. It has been rebuilt a few times, and it was rather inexpensive to do so. Your combine choice, I would agree a Titan series (Yellow cab top) would probably be a more suitable choice versus something earlier, as I think the parts for the older 00 series are getting harder to come by. That may also be the case with the Titan series, too. I am not advocating you "overpower" yourself like I have, but with my father's paring down his operation, and my ramping up mine, we have pooled our equipment together. I have about half of the equipment today, and he has the other half. I have been buying and upgrading for the past 12 years whenever we needed something, rather than him. I don't want to end up having to liquidate everything of his at some point in time to settle an estate, and not have something of my own. That is why I have done what I have done, and with the good times we had a few years ago and the years leading up to the peak, I was able to do it. I have scaled back my purchasing and about all I owe on now is the last installment on a new planter I financed a few years ago. We plant with our newer Kinze planter, rather than the Max-emerge, which sits in the shed. We are going to tear it down to the center 6 rows for a back up planter for filling in patches where crops may have drowned out after planting. Since I am a part time farmer, I need to have everything operational when I am at the farm. Thus far, I have been quite blessed with minimal breakdowns, and I appreciate the fact I have a well kept line of equipment without all the electrical headaches others have with this new equipment. My planter is set up for variable rate seeding and starter fertilizer, but I have not done anything with it yet. I probably will get it going in a year or two, but if I have an electrical "gremlin" hit me, I still can go back to the fixed rate seeding rate and fertilizer so I am not "dead in my tracks."

studebakerjim
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Getting back into the Farming Life the old fashion way Reply to specific post Reply with quote

2002silverado, thank you for taking the time to give great feedback. I much appreciate it.

studebakerjim
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Getting back into the Farming Life the old fashion way Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you 1206SWMO, I'm in Nebraska, the milo planting here has been all but replaced by dryland corn.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Combines and Harvesters All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters