Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Getting back into the Farming Life the old fashion way

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
studebakerjim
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Getting back into the Farming Life the old fashion way Reply to specific post Reply with quote

AJB-830, Thank You for your feedback and well wishes. Its much appreciated!!

studebakerjim
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Getting back into the Farming Life the old fashion way Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I totally agree with its probably not the best time due to low prices, but its a good time to get up and going so I can roll full steam ahead when the prices do rebound.

Princeton Bill
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Getting back into the Farming Life the old fashion way Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Quarter section is a 160 acres, half section 320 acres and a
section is 640 acres.

IowaJohn
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting back into the Farming Life the old fashion way Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jmho. More than likely the 45-105 machines will not have many parts available thru Deere and the cost will be way out of line. That being said if you're good with a welder and torch most of the wear areas can be rebuilt ,auger flighting, chains,weldasprocket, troughs for under augers,etc. For the really tough stuff a good blacksmith can help you too.

Destroked 450
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting back into the Farming Life the old fashion way Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-princeton bill wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:39:28 01/15/1Cool Quarter section is a 160 acres, half section 320 acres and a
section is 640 acres.

Thanks, that makes since now.
One square mile = 640 acres so a section is one square mile.
Half section is half square mile = 320 acres
Quarter section is quarter square mile = 160 acres

Princeton Bill
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Getting back into the Farming Life the old fashion way Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not mentioned yet is: Will you have shed space for your equipment and would you have a good shop to work on things. Keeping any equipment inside does a lot of things for stuff and those things are all good. In regards to older equipment if you get it running good and can keep it inside you will stay ahead of the game. Old belts, tires, roller chains , etc. that have to set outside deteriorate much faster. The next thing not mentioned is do you consider yourself a good mechanic? Mechanical skills make using older equipment more feasible. I wish DaveHMi would get in on this. In the last few years he has done what you?re thinking of doing. His experiences with planters, combines, etc. probably parallel what you might encounter. Also since I?m from an area 50 miles west of Sioux City I am aware that dry land farming in Nebraska is heavily dependent on the weather. The new seed is lots better than it was when my Dad moved to Iowa, but you still have to have some rain.

Case Nutty 1660
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: Getting back into the Farming Life the old fashion way Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jim,, I say to you Go for it,, its Your $$ Your plan/dream who gives a darn what some old pissy person has to say,, I used to post on these forms many times a day to help people,, I spent a Lot of time pulling out ops or service and parts books to scan the answers for people like you who was asking for a answer and or help. That has all but stopped for me due to folks acting towards me like a couple are to you here. I would see them correct my grammar, tell me I did not do on my farm what I claim I do,, you name it they have done it lol,,, its all good to me. I run all real J.I.Case equipment on my farm,, nothing cih,, newest tractor is a 1979 model,, newest combine is a 1969 model,, I do not raise the "important crops" beans or corn,, but I did raise a Lot of Wheat when I could sell it locally. Here no-till is a joke and works at a low level due to our H20 amounts, 11-14" total a year with snow included. I raise hay for cows and grow small grains,, these days I am just raising Hay barley seed and also put some of it up for hay. That is the market I have here and do well with it. All of my equipment is paid for when I buy it. I do all of my own repairs. I also do some custom work at times haying and combining is the main custom work I do. I run 800 acres of tillable ground and another 25- in hay ground. I do All of the work Alone. I make a decent living and have raised three children and two grand children doing this over the last 30 plus years, do I have tons of $$ saved away,, Nope but I am Happy and Proud of what I do. I wish you All the Best in the world in your adventure. I am saddened by some of the rude comments made here but not at all surprised..

cnt

Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Getting back into the Farming Life the old fashion way Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jim,
Sorry you had to hear from the negative ones. I farm much fewer acres, and have found that even the worst day farming is better than the best day working for a wage. I have a 6620, which is a great combine. It is reliable enough I have my wife run it when the truck is full. If I was going to get a different, combine. I would go with a 7720, there is more room to work on stuff. The 6620 is packed really tight. As far as planters, there is no better planter than a kinze. I have a 2500 8/15. A lot of people tell me a red combine is better, but I don?t want to change. The combine and the planter need to be good stuff, the rest just buy two of each. So when it breaks down you have a back up plan.

1206SWMO
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Getting back into the Farming Life the old fashion way Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ed,you are out of line on this one...If Jim wants to farm 320 acres with horses thats his business..
The worst day of farming still beats the heck out of the best day of working a factory job....
I know because I've done both..Part time farming was therapy for me...I've got a BIL-SIL in Kansas
that some how make a living on 120 acres with hogs and cattle...They raise most of their food and owe
no money,and live frugally..

studebakerjim
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting back into the Farming Life the old fashion way Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Case Nutty 1660, I appreciate your kind words!!! I am getting pretty excited about it. There are some really good deals on the smaller machinery. It makes it affordable to get into the business. I always said that I would never get into the business as I was not a good gambler. But, I would rather start busting my butt for myself on a farm, then for a company.

jicaseman89
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting back into the Farming Life the old fashion way Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am attempting the same thing on smaller scale 60 acres then maybe quarter and 80 if things work out but as of now if you dont have the cash up front its almost impossible as my banker said i just smiled and said i like them odds;) and theres other banks and ways to get the cash but i am 28 farm 1600 with my ma and pa more modern i just want to try on my own a little see what happens
I have all my own smaller older equipment for 60 acres plus i wouldnt see a problem with a couple hundred even
930 Dsl
930 gusoline
830 dsl
Sc
15 foot glencoe digger
Couple case disks
Case chisel plow
Oliver and ih plow
400 cyclo air 8 row 30
620 grain drill
1660 case combine
960 case combine
1961 chevy c60

Loren S from new effington south dakota
Just a dream i want to make come true lol

Ande
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting back into the Farming Life the old fashion way Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tom is spot on, keep your dream Jim, we look forward to your updates, and hopefully you wont have to see replies like you received

Dugger
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Getting back into the Farming Life the old fashion way Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[quote="CVPost-Studebakerjim"](reply to post at 16:51:55 01/11/18) [/quote]

Hey Jim
I was not trying to be negative
I just want you to be prepared
I love farming
Giving up half my acres this year so I
Can slow up some
Have fun
Dugger

ss55
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting back into the Farming Life the old fashion way Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Does that mean you will be farming full time without an off-farm job? It makes a big difference if you have 12 hours a day available to farm for 6 or seven days a week compared to just one or two days on weekends and have to hope that the weekends have good weather.

Case Nutty 1660
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: Getting back into the Farming Life the old fashion way Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Many years I worked a full time job also, then I started my own repair shop and ran it and the farm,, tat was a bit much but I did it all alone for 23 years running the repair shop at the same time,, these days I am much happier just running the farm,, I also have 1200 acres of pasture I keep the fences up on for my renter and clean parking lots in the winter, it can be done,, but takes someone not afraid to get a couple hrs sleep many times of of the year a day if that, not a job for those who cant handle Pressure either, but I can say I do not work near as hard as my grandfather did when he came here in the 20's
cnt

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Combines and Harvesters All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters