Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Another Home made Firewood Tool

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adirondack case guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Another Home made Firewood Tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Been surfing the U tube mornings, waiting for the shop to warm up.
Some one posted a couple of videos of this tool, I have no idea if it is in commercial production or not.
I thought it had maybe some potential to work in my operation so I spent an hour and made one.
This is my version. The wheel is just a piece of 5/16" rod, 8" diameter from a Kubota crate, along with the flat strap, and hoop for cable hook. Welded a piece of 1-1/2" ID of exhaust pipe for a spacer to reinforce the grip of the "Scorpion" pole barn screw so it couldn't bend and break off.
Screw it into a block to be split and pull it to the splitter, With my jib pole and winch, and lift it up onto the bed. I have had to drag big uneven blocks with my grapple, if they were hard to roll, but it sometimes unhooks and takes a while to get a big awkward block up onto the splitter.
The video makes it look fast and easy, but time will tell when I put it to use next spring when I start cutting firewood again.
What do you guys think we ought to call it??? other than a waste of time. lol.
Loren

tomturkey
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Home made Firewood Tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tools, tools, tools the more you have the easier the work. If you only use it once or twice it was worth the hour and materials. gobble

Richard G.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Home made Firewood Tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I like that Loren. Your brain must be in gear all the time.
Richard

gtractorfan
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Home made Firewood Tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I like it, looks like one of my next projects. I've got some lag screws... Maybe you could add a steering knob lol!

grizz02
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Home made Firewood Tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

why not just use log tongs?

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Another Home made Firewood Tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A good upgrade would be a nut on top to use an impact wrench.

JF in MI
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Another Home made Firewood Tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Was wondering the same thing

Adirondack case guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Another Home made Firewood Tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As I stated, I do have a grapple, but sometimes it unhooks when dragging a big awkward block to, and up on the splitter. I think tongs will do the same. If the blocks are round, I just roll them to the splitter. I have also used a choker made with 1/4" chain also, which works pretty good.
Besides, those commercial wood tongs aren't cheap, and I am. HeHe.
If I had to step out and buy all commercially built toys for cutting firewood, it would be cheaper to buy oil. Baily's wants $129.oo for a pickaroon. Mine cost me a piece of used pipe and some metal scraps to make. It is much more satisfying to build something out of nothing that fulfills a need and make work easier. Us old farts have to be smarter than the block of wood in this case. If not the block of wood will beat the He!! out of you.
Loren

Adirondack case guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Another Home made Firewood Tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I tried a 1/4" lag screw that I had, and it didn't want to thread in very well. The Scorpion, has a sharp self starting drill point.
Loren

PJH
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Another Home made Firewood Tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Loren, keep us posted on how it works.

My only suggestion is make a specific place to store it among your arsenal of tools. I can see me getting that in a tire somehow.

AlinArk
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Another Home made Firewood Tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

exactly.....

Zachary Hoyt
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Another Home made Firewood Tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It looks interesting, I'll be looking forward to hearing how it works. I really like the hook you posted a couple of weeks ago to pull a chain under a log, I plan to make one of those since I have spent a lot of time trying to get a chain under a log to skid it to the sawmill. I just saw up firewood where it lies, but the saw logs are sometimes pretty awkward to hook up.
Zach

Adirondack case guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Another Home made Firewood Tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good idea, but with my luck, I would lay down the cordless, and forget about it, until I spot it smashed on the ground
Loren

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Another Home made Firewood Tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just stay in the house and call the propane truck for my heating needs.

steve706
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Another Home made Firewood Tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What?s the name of the YouTube videos?

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters