Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

new 8n governor will not govern.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: new 8n governor will not govern. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You're welcome. I have an 8N governor on the bench if you still
need that measurement. I'd be happy to measure it for you.
Need a little more detail on what measurement though.

I have a carburetor out here that every time I put it on my 8N
will gradually open to full throttle and run there. Any other carb
I put on this tractor works fine, so I know the governor is not
the problem. That's why I asked what yours does.

msgtusafret
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: new 8n governor will not govern. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nothing change spring or no spring, book calls it a throttle spring.
the hand control will stay were i put it.
the one thing seem strange is, it will not travel all the way to Min.
another is the arm to carb. seems like it can't over come the governor spring tension, I've check it there is no pre-load.
I do have the linkages on the right arms.

R Geiger
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: new 8n governor will not govern. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have you adjusted the rod going to the gov like the book talks about?

msgtusafret
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: new 8n governor will not govern. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have two books, one older than the other, the older book highlights the "jig part #ELO7691 with the a gauge to measure the carb. arm. Then put it on the jig to bend with a hammer for the correct angle.
The new book says to bend the linkage like you suggested, and I have tried that, bending it almost to a 90* still has not worked.
I do thank you
I'am going the experiment, along toughs same line I let you know, what,and if it works

R Geiger
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: new 8n governor will not govern. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

msgtusafret wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:28:41 01/14/1Cool
I have two books, one older than the other, the older book highlights the "jig part #ELO7691 with the a gauge to measure the carb. arm. Then put it on the jig to bend with a hammer for the correct angle.
The new book says to bend the linkage like you suggested, and I have tried that, bending it almost to a 90* still has not worked.
I do thank you
I'am going the experiment, along toughs same line I let you know, what,and if it works

There should be no bending of the linkage on an 8N, that is for the 9n and 2n. I think that the bending of the arm as shown in the old book was replaced by bending the tangs on the spring to achieve the same thing. good luck

msgtusafret
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: new 8n governor will not govern. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I constructed a new linkage out of all thread for the carburetor to the shorter arm on governor, hoping that it would give about two inches of adjustment.
While letting it warm up in idle about 600rpm on the tach, all of a sudden, the tach spun all the way around against the zero peg????
Iam still @ idle I take the cable off the tach to see if the cable is still turning, it is, but the tach slowly drop back to zero.
That's not all the governor oil is coming out of the cable!!!
I am beginning to think my tractor is possessed, the tach has oil in witch can't be right.

R Geiger
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: new 8n governor will not govern. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Look at the picture I posted. You will see an oil line going to the back of the governor. It is the rod coming from the throttle lever that you adjust not he short one going to the carb.

msgtusafret
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: new 8n governor will not govern. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When everything is adjusted correctly, will the throttle control move the entire arc of the quadrant, or will the arc narrow?

This tractor is a hybrid, engine has 9n serial #, but the rest is a collection different year 8n. I have always had to manually control the speed up or down a hill with the hand control.

It seems that the geometry between the quadrant and the carb. is not right?????

Any thoughts of the oil from the governor in the tach?

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: new 8n governor will not govern. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The throttle linkage hooks to the governor.
The governor then controls the carb based on centrifugal force/speed.
When adjusted and working properly, the throttle works throughout
the quadrant and the governor holds engine RPM close to where you
set it regardless of up hill, down hill or load. It is quite noticeable
when the governor kicks in and compensates for the changes.

As long as your governor and linkage is all 8N, the block/engine
being 9N should make no difference in their operation.
The 9N/2N governor and linkage was different, but would not
hook up easily to an 8N and would not have a proofmeter cable.
You should not have oil coming out of the proofmeter cable.

msgtusafret
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: new 8n governor will not govern. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks again, Royse I just needed someone to confirm my suspicions, I'll start over with the throttle linkage.

msgtusafret
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: new 8n governor will not govern. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This spring tab was hitting the steering box, and would not let the throttle go to min.

msgtusafret
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: new 8n governor will not govern. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This spring tab was hitting the steering box, and would not let the throttle go to min.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters