Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

New cordless tools.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Famous Grouse
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: New cordless tools. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Saw a demo yesterday of some of the new Milwaukee cordless M18 tools and DANG are these nice. Specifically:

- The cordless Milwaukee 10 inch sliding compound miter saw. Wow. Does everything, no cord. They had cut 200 cuts through a 2x12 and that day and the battery the started with at 8 AM was still working.

- LED cordless work lights on a tripod. Holy Hannah would this setup be handy for the workshop and when stuff has to be field fixed.

There's some dang handy tools that have come out now that the higher amp hour LI batteries have so much power and last so long. Anyone else seen these new setups? I know they come in all colors, DeWalt has similar tools.

I tried the new DeWalt chainsaw last fall at the local dealer. That thing just rips. It was like a gas powered saw that made no noise and no stink. They had put over 50 cuts though 8 inch popple and the battery was still going. Guy that owned one said each battery lasts about an hour when he's out cutting firewood at the pace he works, so 2 batteries were about all he wanted to do in a day anyway. Amazing.

Grouse

kcm.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: New cordless tools. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've got a drill/impact driver combo from Bosch with the smaller 2.0Ah batteries. I don't do as much as I used to, so these work great! However, at some point the batteries will die and I'll have yet more toys collecting dust in the toy box.

Also, the colder the temps you're working in, the shorter the time your batteries will last. I have my Dad's Oregon battery chainsaw. Bought a new extended use battery for it some time back. Still, it'll get me through about an hour of work in the cold before needing recharging. And when de-limbing, that's very time consuming and takes a lot of power. Add to that cutting up the logs. They're real nice to have, but cold will shorten the work times drastically.

He bought his battery chainsaw after getting a pacemaker installed; couldn't run small 2-cycle engines anymore.

Russ from MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: New cordless tools. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My biggest concern with cordless tools is battery replacement, do any of them last much more than 5 years? I have some
cordless drills, and they are very useful, but I can't imagine myself using a cordless electric chainsaw! I have 4 good
chainsaws, from 45 years old to as new as 6, and they all work well. Most of my corded power tools are 40 years old and they
suit my needs very well also.

coshoo
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: New cordless tools. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Guess I don't get why you'd need a cordless tool that will almost always be used at or near a power source. I have several cordless drills, great for out in the boonies, but I finally got a corded drill for use in the shop, because I was tired of dealing with batteries. I guess if I did need to use a mitre saw where there was no power, I'd just take my Honda generator along.

544hydro
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: New cordless tools. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have 3 of the m18 fuel tools and imagine I will get more. I have at least 4 corded drills that probably won't ever get used again. They sit in the cabinet. I love the cordless tools!

The Famous Grouse
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: New cordless tools. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Russ from MN wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:29:15 01/12/1Cool My biggest concern with cordless tools is battery replacement, do any of them last much more than 5 years? I have some cordless drills, and they are very useful, but I can't imagine myself using a cordless electric chainsaw! I have 4 good
chainsaws, from 45 years old to as new as 6, and they all work well. Most of my corded power tools are 40 years old and they
suit my needs very well also.

I have both Bosch and Milwaukee cordless drills that have LI (lithium-ion) batteries that are just over 5 years old and are still functioning well. Batteries will eventually have to be replaced, but IMO this is a small price to pay.

I agree, I could not imagine using a cordless chainsaw. Until I tried one. The power is astonishing and so is the joy of not getting covered in "chainsaw stink" from burnt oil.

Of course, it would not pay if you already own saws, but for the occasional user (which is the vast majority of owners) the convenience of battery power and the fact that there's zero maintainance and storage issues would be a huge plus.

Welding man
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: New cordless tools. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When someone makes a battery tool that the batteries will last over 18 months and guarantee
them to last 36 months I will buy another battery tool, but until they do I will never buy
another one. I have a Snap-on impact and 6 batteries ($110.00 each) 4 are bad. I have a
Dewalt drill-w 2 batteries -both bad and a Ryobi set with 5 batteries and 3 are bad. If it
doesn't have an air hose or extension cord it just won't work for me.

The Famous Grouse
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: New cordless tools. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-coshoo wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:37:36 01/12/1Cool Guess I don't get why you'd need a cordless tool that will almost always be used at or near a power source. I have several cordless drills, great for out in the boonies, but I finally got a corded drill for use in the shop, because I was tired of dealing with batteries. I guess if I did need to use a mitre saw where there was no power, I'd just take my Honda generator along.

The primary audience for the cordless miter saw is going to be pros. Framing guys are always having to deal with availability of power on the site, so cordless saws have huge appeal. Obviously for the garage-shop hobby guy a corded saw is good enough.

The trim carpenters will love it just because it avoids having to snake extension cords all over a site, having other guys unplug your cord, etc.

Easier to grab batteries than it is a generator. No gas required, no noise, and you can buy a lot of spare batteries for the price of a honda generator.

The cordless lights are just fantastic. Nothing near this good was on the market before.

Grouse

john *.?-!.* cub owner
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: New cordless tools. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-coshoo wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:37:36 01/12/1Cool Guess I don't get why you'd need a cordless tool that will almost always be used at or near a power source........
30+ years ago I messed up the tendons in my elbows and began using power tools whnever possible. I used both air tools and electric tools, but as I have gotten older and am getting arthritis worse and worse I have found it is much handier to grab a battery and stick it in a tool or saw I will only use for a few minutes at a time than to drag out an air hose or extension cord. I cannot speak to the other brands, but I have found I cna uy Dewalt tools and batteries much more reasonably on Amazon than I can anywhere else, and even the aftermarket ones last around 2 years, sometimes as much as 3 years. I write the date I purchase them on each one with a Sharpy to track them.

JGayman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: New cordless tools. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"I agree, I could not imagine using a cordless chainsaw. Until I tried one. The power is astonishing and so is the joy of not getting covered in "chainsaw stink" from burnt oil."

Agree. I don't cut firewood but need something that can cut slightly larger limbs whenever we have storm damage or occasional trimming. It may only get used once a year. For that task a battery powered chainsaw is PERFECT. The fact that it uses the same battery as my hedge trimmer and weed wacker is icing on the cake. Smile

Motorcraftman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: New cordless tools. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well.. I'm as Comprehensive as anyone, I'm Old School Too LOL But My daughter...Bought as kobalt 40Volt chainsaw, And I couldn Believe My Eyes, That thing Wore me Out, and still Had as Much power as Before I started.. I coiuldn tell The Battery had Weakened, at all!Im gettint One Myself.. I toohave a Stihl 031 AV that will wade through Big trees, But Its HEAVY and loud, LOl Thyanks Larry in N. Ga

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: New cordless tools. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My M18 Milwaukee drill is still going strong it just passed the 6 year mark the chuck is loosing its grip up till the last 6 mo it has the best chuck I have ever used. I have had to glue the battery's back together it may be I also have a Milwaukee impact it rattles them apart. I looked up a trigger switch for a M18 fuel last week for a bud its part of the circuit board about $135. At 135 he may as well throw it away if he can not find the problem with his old one...

moresmoke
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: New cordless tools. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Heck, that's the reason we bought a battery powered lawn mower. Battery lasts about as long as the kid pushing it. And plenty long to do the trimming that the tractor missed.

john *.?-!.* cub owner
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: New cordless tools. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They make 12 inch pruning blades for reciprocal saws. The teeth are line the ones in the Bow saws that used to be popular. They are not as fast as a chainsaw, but will cut a surprising amount on a charge. There is a difference in the brands, so shop carefully.

Lucid
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: New cordless tools. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just received my drill and driver in yesterday. Seems pretty slick so far, will know how Iit does/lasts in a week!

I like the led light on them. Should prove useful. I had $250 in homedepot gift cards so used those. They had a deal to get that set and an extra tool for 300. I chose the sawsall as I use them a lot.

Just took ups 2weeks to deliver! Package kept going past house numerous times to sort centers despite numerous calls to ups.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters