Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

1070 BK Questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
1370rod
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: 1070 BK Questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Subzero weather has given me a chance to work on the BK which has been sitting around here for to many years. I purchased this nonrunning tractor from a salvage yard. I was told it had a stuck engine with metal filings in the engine oil. I never questioned that and knew it would be major work. Well the engine was not stuck and no pile of filings. The pan was almost dry of oil but had a couple cups of a solvent smelling fluid in it, very old fuel maybe, I don't know. It has not run for a long time, oil filter marked 1999, the fuel in the tank is clear and almost smells like kerosene. So why did someone park this tractor and how would it get a bit of fuel or solvent in the pan? Where is the engine oil? Was full of coolant. The engine has brgs date marked 1971 the year of the tractor so I am going to overhaul it anyway. Just kinda weird why it got parked. If it had a trans problem and the owner quit using it I don't think they would have drained engine oil. Rod.

Brokengun
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1070 BK Questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Rod are you saying you have found nothing to explain why the tractor was parked?

May i suggest that it could have been something as Crazy/simple as a bad starter and the owner thought it was stuck because it wouldn't turn over.

I say this because i actually heard a man proclaim his engine was seized up because it wouldn't turn over; it was a lose battery wire

ADB-Ia
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1070 BK Questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Maybe pulled the pan, found filings, cleaned it with some fuel, and bolted the pan back on??? But I've never seen one unsieze itself by sitting for several years. It does make you think out loud.

1370pwr in ne
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1070 BK Questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Rod,How many hours would you guess this tractor has on it? I hope that you will be lucky and the trans will be good. Sounds like the block should be good with no antifreeze leaks.I think if I get my demonstrator going I'm going to take the cab off because its pretty rough and put a narrow front under it. Kinda like the looks of a canopy.Good luck and keep us posted.Darrell

1370rod
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1070 BK Questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi Darrell, the non working tach says 3600 hrs so who knows how many it could actually have. I think the trans is good but really won't know anything till the engine runs, Rod.

1370rod
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1070 BK Questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have the engine completely tore down now and by the looks of things it was a runner. All brgs look good except the center Main is getting pounded out but that is sort of normal with high hrs and 45 year old brgs. Rod.

1370rod
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1070 BK Questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

After a complete tear down I see no reason for parking the tractor. Must be a surprise coming yet, Rod.

mike from wisc
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1070 BK Questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Anybodys guess. I'm thinking maybe pieces from starter. Rod good luck with engine hope trans is ok

chuck machinist
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1070 BK Questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Will you have her ready for the Greenville Illinois show this summer? HI! The Greenville Show has Case written all over it! May have to bring my trailer empty.HEE HEE CM

Kow Farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1070 BK Questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi Rod. Your work never ceases to amaze me sir. Are you going to restore this tractor for yourself? I am glad you saved this good ol tractor from the dead. I look forward to see your progress pics as time allows. Good luck with this project. Take care.
Kow Farmer Kurt

Don Rudolph
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1070 BK Questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Rod,

I don't have any special insight into why it was parked only to say you never know what might have happened. I'm sure looking forward to seeing it come back to life and hear what you find. Those are certainly sharp looking machines. Don

jim_uny
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1070 BK Questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

great pics. keep em coming

D-C-741
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1070 BK Questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Know of a 1070 BK a Friend Bought /motor locked up /put a good running motor in and found it has no Reverse ,the power shift goes forward fine ,and is a had to get it in gear is the 4 speed. He bought a 870 power shift and got home and got around to using it it had 4Th out in the 4 speed ,I have seen and heard of Guys Grinding them into 4TH Range = Knocks a tooth off the gear on the Pinion shaft and soon it out .Hope you are the Lucky one and find nothing wrong !!!

Ande
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1070 BK Questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Was there any coolant in the radiator Rod? My gut, she dropped her water, and the former owner drained her instead of leaving the bearing's in it.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters