Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Problems with mobil tool dealers Snap on etc.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fixerupper
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with mobil tool dealers Snap on etc. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here in northwest Iowa Snappy is alive and well. The Cornwell guy will come here if we call him or we go to his place on Saturday to make our purchases. The shed the Cornwell guy parks his truck in is like the candy store for those who like tools.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with mobil tool dealers Snap on etc. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I got a Snap On ratchet in the stuff from my late father-in-law. It was bad. One day I saw a Snap On truck in a town just a few mile from my home. Asked hin about it. Found out where I was from, no go, could not do anything for me. Said out of his area, needed to see someone from different area. Would not tell me how to contact anybody. A few years later a friend was working where the truck stoped, he got it repaired but the person that repaired it did not think it would hold under a load so never tried to use it. Don't know if there is a tool truck (any make) in region anymore.

jr1983
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with mobil tool dealers Snap on etc. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No you can't. You also are not just paying for the tool you are paying for the service of having your stuff taken care of. When you make your living with the stuff your attitudes change a lot with this. As one person pointed out you can buy just as good (no way I have used both) tools with a life time warranty at ace. But you have to go there and deal with it. If you break half as much as I do that won't work and you learn this quick. Anything else you do for a living you don't need professional grade tools. These are the reasons they cost what they do and you have to buy them from a dealer.

jr1983
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with mobil tool dealers Snap on etc. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My last post was supposed to answer can't you just buy them online.

hd6gtom
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with mobil tool dealers Snap on etc. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Had at least 3 different trucks stop every 2 weeks at the car dealership. South central Iowa.

SodBuster87
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with mobil tool dealers Snap on etc. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

jr1983 wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:13:27 01/12/1Cool
No you can't. You also are not just paying for the tool you are paying for the service of having your stuff taken care of. When you make your living with the stuff your attitudes change a lot with this. As one person pointed out you can buy just as good (no way I have used both) tools with a life time warranty at ace. But you have to go there and deal with it. If you break half as much as I do that won't work and you learn this quick. Anything else you do for a living you don't need professional grade tools. These are the reasons they cost what they do and you have to buy them from a dealer.
When I was in tech school I had Gear Wrench tools becuase they were the lowest bid. Its funny becuase the guys who had snap-off everyone of them had to send their flaring sets back for warranty work. The bell was machined out of true on every one of them. My Lyle flaring set worked just fine out of the box though. I also learned it tech school that all of these companies have one or maybe two tools made in house. The rest are contracted out to subs, marked up and sold for big profit for the share holders.

jr1983
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with mobil tool dealers Snap on etc. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

And where do you get this stuff warrantied? Ace stuff is as good as Snap-on.... I don't deal with stuff smaller than a class 5 truck. Construction stuff farm stuff you name it. I hand in at least half a dozen broken tools a week. I don't have time to deal with taking that volume of stuff to a store somewhere. Plus I don't know how it works where you are at but they don't give you one off the shelf at ace they send in the claim and you get it mailed to you. If you have time for that fine but the tools are not of the same quality and they are a pain to get replaced. Snap-on comes to me. Also as far as what you learned in Tec school everything metal or metal with soft grip handle is made in Kenosha WI. The plastic crap comes from elsewhere.

SodBuster87
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with mobil tool dealers Snap on etc. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

jr1983 wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:18:35 01/12/1Cool And where do you get this stuff warrantied? Ace stuff is as good as Snap-on.... I don't deal with stuff smaller than a class 5 truck. Construction stuff farm stuff you name it. I hand in at least half a dozen broken tools a week. I don't have time to deal with taking that volume of stuff to a store somewhere. Plus I don't know how it works where you are at but they don't give you one off the shelf at ace they send in the claim and you get it mailed to you. If you have time for that fine but the tools are not of the same quality and they are a pain to get replaced. Snap-on comes to me. Also as far as what you learned in Tec school everything metal or metal with soft grip handle is made in Kenosha WI. The plastic crap comes from elsewhere.
I ve never had ACE hardware tools break. If they ever did I'd take to ACE when my project was done. I guess I've always more then one tool in a given size so if one should break, I grab another. As for the "cheap" tools. Throw them in the iron pile when they break. I can throw away whole sets of tools for what one Snap-on wrench costs and still be money ahead. Sod Buster.

Dachshund
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with mobil tool dealers Snap on etc. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My Dad was a Master Mechanic for most of his life. He always said that tools don't make a mechanic, the mechanic makes the tools. If you need overpriced, name brand tools to be a mechanic, then you're doing something wrong.

jr1983
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with mobil tool dealers Snap on etc. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Quality and overpriced are two different things. You're also completely missing the point about the service that goes with the tools having value. as far as anyone who says they've never broken a tool of this brand or that brand means one of two things. Either I possess a whole lot more upper body strength than you or you haven't owned a tool of that brand yet.

SodBuster87
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with mobil tool dealers Snap on etc. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

jr1983 wrote:
(quoted from post at 21:09:12 01/12/1Cool Quality and overpriced are two different things. You're also completely missing the point about the service that goes with the tools having value. as far as anyone who says they've never broken a tool of this brand or that brand means one of two things. Either I possess a whole lot more upper body strength than you or you haven't owned a tool of that brand yet.
Sorry but I hope I read your post wrong. If your breaking half a dozen tools a week your doing something wrong. The service behind a tool means something when you can find it. But its becoming increasingly the case that if you didn't buy a tool from joe blow he don't care if its his brand or not. Me personaly I don't have a tool truck stopping in front of my garage every week so if I have to stop at the store or chase down a tool truck is realy about the same. For reasons stated by me many times not just here in this thread. I have lost almost all faith in brand names . Don't care if its hand tools, power equipment or pickups.

jr1983
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with mobil tool dealers Snap on etc. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I break a lot of tools. Started with craftsman. Have moved up to mainly Snap-on. I own a little of everything. I charge 60 an hour. One of my common breakages is a 12 pt chrome 1\2 socket. Has to be chrome to get it on the strap bolts of a common type of older heavy truck ujoint. You basicly beat the thing in with a hammer so its good and seated then put an impact and hammer it for everything its worth. Its a 12 pt bolt bye the way. I have four of these sockets in my box and during a hard week I have stripped all of them. I stay busy on heavy work so I break a lot of stuff. The tool truck comes in and its taken care of. Otherwise I gotta go to town. $60 out of my day plus fuel and cost of vehicle operation. Math don't come out any way you work it. I'll break this down again. If you are in a fast paced professional shop tool truck only to go. If you're not you can't justify it. Its as simple as that. If you do what I do you would break 6ish things a week too.

oldtanker
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with mobil tool dealers Snap on etc. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I used and broken a lot of tools in my life. When I first joined the army the issue tools were junk. They finally started getting better quality tools around 80/81. Even then they were not the best. After I retired and worked as a mechanic I found out that my Craftsman tools did NOT stand up as well as Mac, Snap On, the older NAPA pro line, Proto or SK. Sorry but when you are working you don't have time to drop everything and drive 20 miles or more to the nearest ACE or Sears.

Rick

gab
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with mobil tool dealers Snap on etc. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You ran in to the wrong guy. Snap On man was in shortly before I retired, screw driver drawer was open and he spotted some screwdrivers that had recalled handles, gave me about a dozen new ones handles and all, replaced an old dead blow hammer I found about 30 years ago with a new 50 some dollar hammer, replaced some sockets with peeling chrome, a wheel on 30 plus year old creeper seat and I wasn't even complaining about anything.

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with mobil tool dealers Snap on etc. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"I herd that to get into it is quite an investment, with inventory and truck. "

Good LORD, after reading this thread about all the stuff guys are proud to tear up and then expect a FREE replacement would YOU want to be the tool truck guy in their area?

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters