Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Problems with mobil tool dealers Snap on etc.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr1983
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with mobil tool dealers Snap on etc. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The company pays him for his work and replaces the warranty stuff at no cost. Its corporates warranty not his.

Louis A
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: Problems with mobil tool dealers Snap on etc. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

jr1983 wrote:
No you can't. You also are not just paying for the tool you are paying for the service of having your stuff taken care of. When you make your living with the stuff your attitudes change a lot with this. As one person pointed out you can buy just as good (no way I have used both) tools with a life time warranty at ace. But you have to go there and deal with it. If you break half as much as I do that won't work and you learn this quick. Anything else you do for a living you don't need professional grade tools. These are the reasons they cost what they do and you have to buy them from a dealer.

What are you talking about? You can buy Snap-on tools online right off of their website!

jr1983
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Problems with mobil tool dealers Snap on etc. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Louis A wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:22:23 01/13/1Cool
jr1983 wrote:
No you can't. You also are not just paying for the tool you are paying for the service of having your stuff taken care of. When you make your living with the stuff your attitudes change a lot with this. As one person pointed out you can buy just as good (no way I have used both) tools with a life time warranty at ace. But you have to go there and deal with it. If you break half as much as I do that won't work and you learn this quick. Anything else you do for a living you don't need professional grade tools. These are the reasons they cost what they do and you have to buy them from a dealer.

What are you talking about? You can buy Snap-on tools online right off of their website!

I honesty did not know that. You didn't used to be able to. If the truck doesn't come and take care of stuff I don't feel like its worth the money so I never looked Into it. I've gotten a lot out of a pawn shop and eBay over the years but never tried that.

SodBuster87
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Problems with mobil tool dealers Snap on etc. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well guys buy your name brand tools if that brings you happiness in life. Who am I to judge. Personaly I'll buy the best deal for the money, then take the money I save and buy other toys. Of course you could say the tools themselves are the toys and then I don't know what to say. Sod Buster.

jr1983
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Problems with mobil tool dealers Snap on etc. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you want the best buy for the money you're going to be buying a new Snap-on set this week lol sodbuster I gotta ask you how long you been doing this? One minute you are talking about Tec school like it was yesterday the next you would like you've been around forever. It gets confusing.

SodBuster87
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Problems with mobil tool dealers Snap on etc. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

jr1983 wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:06:24 01/13/1Cool If you want the best buy for the money you're going to be buying a new Snap-on set this week lol sodbuster I gotta ask you how long you been doing this? One minute you are talking about Tec school like it was yesterday the next you would like you've been around forever. It gets confusing.
I got to ask do you buy the Snap-on just because its Snap-on? No judgment if you do. I know a guy who is obsessed with Stihl. Goes out and buys everything he can find that says Stihl on it. It makes him happy. Just like you buying Snap-on makes you happy. Like I said that no judgement on you. (Or him) Buy what makes you happy. But just don't try to convince me how it is so much better. Life has taught me alot about brand names and I'm still learning. Sod Buster

SodBuster87
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Problems with mobil tool dealers Snap on etc. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sorry missed your question... I've been tinkering on stuff my whole life. Out of tech school I got offered a non-mechanic job that paid double what I would have made as a mechanic for half as much work. Would have been stupid for me to turn it down. I guess if I charged $60/hour I could write off expensive tools too. I've been there, bought the most expensive there was not because I needed it but because it made a good write off.

jr1983
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Problems with mobil tool dealers Snap on etc. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did you see the lol? It was a poor attempt at humor. And no I don't have a lot of brand loyalty as it were I have some Mac and some s and k and craftsman. I also have some cheap stuff depending on my needs. No company is perfect. Mac makes a better power steering puller in my opinion. By real big wrenches were made in chine because I can't justify replacing. Oldtanker and me would probably get a long fine. He has a good brand list an we both did a hitch in the army.

SodBuster87
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Problems with mobil tool dealers Snap on etc. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

jr1983 wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:36:09 01/13/1Cool Did you see the lol? It was a poor attempt at humor. And no I don't have a lot of brand loyalty as it were I have some Mac and some s and k and craftsman. I also have some cheap stuff depending on my needs. No company is perfect. Mac makes a better power steering puller in my opinion. By real big wrenches were made in chine because I can't justify replacing. Oldtanker and me would probably get a long fine. He has a good brand list an we both did a hitch in the army.
You could have fooled me on the brand loyalty.

jr1983
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Problems with mobil tool dealers Snap on etc. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No my point wasn't about Snap-on my point was a need for a professional grade tool with a weekly service that goes with it for a professional mechanic was my point. If you just tinker or shade tree or whatever you can't justify the expense for the stuff I buy. When you make a living with it in my opinion you can't afford not to. Snap-on comes up wiith me a lot because its the only vendor of that description in the area. I'm still curious how long its been since Tec school.

SodBuster87
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Problems with mobil tool dealers Snap on etc. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

jr1983 wrote:
(quoted from post at 07:51:51 01/13/1Cool No my point wasn't about Snap-on my point was a need for a professional grade tool with a weekly service that goes with it for a professional mechanic was my point. If you just tinker or shade tree or whatever you can't justify the expense for the stuff I buy. When you make a living with it in my opinion you can't afford not to. Snap-on comes up wiith me a lot because its the only vendor of that description in the area. I'm still curious how long its been since Tec school.

tractorguy2
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Problems with mobil tool dealers Snap on etc. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have not seen a tool truck in this area in years and years. This is a small rural area. We are down to just having a Chevy dealer. All other dealers are closed.

My dad is a retired diesel tech. He has never owned any tools that came off a truck. He used SK tools. The mom and pop hardware store was a dealer. They did the warranty the few times dad broke something. Later when all the SK dealers disappeared. Dad bought mostly Thorsen tools. They held up well.

I know two techs at the Chevy dealer. They buy NAPA and Carquest tools because that is all that's available here.

Ragnarok
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Problems with mobil tool dealers Snap on etc. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have not seen a Cornwell truck in Oklahoma in decades!

Mac and Snap-On trucks come to my shop weekly...I use lots of the pricy tools. Matco truck comes to my local town and I've bought lots of Matco tools over the years. If I break something Matco I just send it with my son as he buys Matco tools and gets my broken stuff warrantied. I broke a Snap-On 1/2" breakover last Thursday...next Monday the Snap-On man(Frank) will give me a brand new one

I buy cheap tools on occasion too...and just yesterday turned a cheap Taiwan 15mm combo wrench into a John Deere 6405 starter wrench. Heated and bent...ground thin...and cut-off the open end. I would've hated to do that to a Snap-On or Mac wrench...

SodBuster87
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Problems with mobil tool dealers Snap on etc. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

jr1983 wrote:
(quoted from post at 07:51:51 01/13/1Cool No my point wasn't about Snap-on my point was a need for a professional grade tool with a weekly service that goes with it for a professional mechanic was my point. If you just tinker or shade tree or whatever you can't justify the expense for the stuff I buy. When you make a living with it in my opinion you can't afford not to. Snap-on comes up wiith me a lot because its the only vendor of that description in the area. I'm still curious how long its been since Tec school.

paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Problems with mobil tool dealers Snap on etc. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree with much of what you say.

I'm a bit bothered by the 1/2 inch socket breakage tho. It seems that you are mis using the tool to be breaking it that much. The driveline
manufacturer should be supplying a special tool that can stand up to the work if they are going to make such a situation. And replace broken
ones on their dime, because of their design.

Not really right that all is tool buyers need to support this type of tool misuse and breakage. Warranty claims are of course passed on to
everyone in higher prices over time, and so it affects everyone when you do this.

Not picking on you, just you provided an example of a bad situation.

Paul

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters