Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

What brand battery maintainer do you like?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kcm.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: What brand battery maintainer do you like? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have 6 batteries that are connected in vehicles and equipment all winter long. Temps get real cold. Nothing is used much in the winter, but I try to start everything at least once a month. However, once a battery reaches 2 years of age, it seems to no longer want to start the engine when below -20F. I use ONLY full syn oil, as that greatly helps in cold-weather starting.

Looking to get a few battery maintainers, but reviews leave me questioning. There are cheap made-in-China units; some that have a box transformer for a plug and others that have long, thin wires that would seemingly break in the cold. Have looked at the Black & Decker line, though reviews are marginal there, also.

Anyone have any recommendations?

By the way, all of these machines are outside and fully exposed to the cold. I will "hopefully" have a starter shop up this Spring, but nothing large enough to handle everything. Shop will likely be unheated unless I'm out there, so will still use the maintainers then.

MarkB_MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: What brand battery maintainer do you like? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a pair of Schumachers that work well. 20 bucks at Lowes.

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: What brand battery maintainer do you like? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have 6 or so Sears 2 Amp units, just bought another yesterday. They auto-select between 6 and 12 Volts.

They've worked well for me.

Also, I try to remember to disconnect the batteries on anything that sits unused for over a few days or weeks, have a number of them set up with battery disconnect switch, making that easy.

You would find it surprising how much that helps, even without a battery maintainer they typically hold charge a lot better and last a LOT longer.

Almost everything has a least a little electrical leakage to ground, whether it be a newer vehicle with computers that "sleep" but don't shut off completely, or simply have an alternator, or even some (possibly hidden) dirty/rusted/corroded electrical components.

RayP(MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What brand battery maintainer do you like? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have several batteries around here on the
cheapie Harbor Freight ones. So far so
good. Only one failure. Don't know how well
they would hold up out in the elements.
Don't have power in outside polebarn, so
pull batteries and move them to an unheated
garage where there is electricity
available. Seems to keep batteries charged
and prolong battery life. Will charge up
partially discharged batteries, given time.

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What brand battery maintainer do you like? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Like Bob, I use Sears maintainers. The are useful on both 6 and 12 volt batteries. All work well.

Regular price is about $50 but they are regularly on sale for $20 or $25.

Dean

JF in MI
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What brand battery maintainer do you like? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use the de-sulphater type.

TomH in PA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What brand battery maintainer do you like? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have one called "Battery Tender" that seems to work well.

Avoid the really cheap trickle chargers, they'll destroy the battery if you leave them on all the time.

Russ from MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What brand battery maintainer do you like? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I too have a couple of the $5 ones from HF, they seem to work for me, but I don't leave them hooked up all winter. I make sure everything is charged when parked, and charge again before starting, 2-4 months later, don't seem to have any problems.

flembo
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What brand battery maintainer do you like? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have 2 Black & Decker 6 and 12 volt maintainers so far they seem ok. I have a hf one also that I haven't used yet I am not crazy about plugging the
transformer directly in the outlet. The Black & Decker units are attached to a beam in the Tractor shed and they come with a plug you can connect
directly to the battery terminal. Just unplug it and go and you can't mess it up it only plugs in one way.

da.bees
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What brand battery maintainer do you like? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A quality maintainer will definatly help you with your complaint of hard to start and short battery life. On the advise of battery mfgr reps where I worked in auto repair,I've used maintainers for years. Like you, I have tractors,trucks,travel trailer,boat,atvs and lawn mower. I keep 3 maintainers busy somewhere all the time. On the advice of the battery mfgs rep,my first was a Deltran Battery Tender. I tried Schumacher,Stanley,Sears and a couple of others but none equaled Deltran. I presently have the original Deltran plus two newer Delatrans. The most common fault I found with maintainers was they failed to supply floating charge but instead acted like a "TRICKLE CHARGER". That's not good so I sold,trashed or gave them away. The day I see electricians,plumbers and auto mechanics with tool boxes filled with Harbor Freight tools,I'll admit to wasting money on more expensive tools and give Harbor Freight tools another trying out. Until then I'll believe you get what you pay for.

Motorcraftman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What brand battery maintainer do you like? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I Like the Solar Maintainers, usually 1.8 Ma ... It will keep a Battery Fully Charged, No problem.. I have them on everything I have that isn't Driven/ Used Much.. Larry in N. Ga

howdy1960
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What brand battery maintainer do you like? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a Schumacher 6/12 volt (auto select) charger/maintainer.
Hard wired to tractor with a one way quick disconnect plug.

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What brand battery maintainer do you like? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

O f the 4 brands that I have used I like the ones made by Deltran.

Crazy Horse
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What brand battery maintainer do you like? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not sure what you mean when you say they're not used much. Nor do I know how easy or difficult they are to access. If it were me (and not used much and reasonably accessible), I think I might keep them inside. Years ago in the 60's when I was driving 6 volt VW's and had no plug in at work and minus 25 degree days, I would take it in with me. I kept the back seat out and that's where the battery was, easy to quickly take out and put back in, just a simple twist of the cable clamps and it was like having a boost.

Mark-Mi
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What brand battery maintainer do you like? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have Batteryminders. 6 of the lessor expensive model linked and 3 of the more expensive model. Hook them up early winter unhook in spring. Either model I have hooked to semi truck with 4 batteries and has charged them.

Both models say they are weather proof. But the least expensive one is ventilated and may not be as good for continuous use outdoors. Just my opinion. Zero trouble with any of them.
maintain

maintain 2

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters