Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Battery drain saga

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildride47
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Battery drain saga Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I’ve been chasing dead battery’s for several weeks now. This evening i started some testing and need some help. 1988;JD 2555 diesel. Both battery’s have their ground straps removed. I put the multi meter between the negative post and the ground strap and get a 4 volt draw with all the alternator leads disconnected and the key off and removed. I removed all the starter leads and get the same 4 volt draw with everything off and disconnected. When I began replacing wires one at a time I did not see a change until the power (hot) lead was reconnected to the alternator and I began to see an amp draw jump to 10 amps that counted down to and stayed at 4 amps in the key off position. I have not looked any farther or pulled any fuses yet to see if I can cut off the 4 amp draw. I have not checked the leads on the ignition solenoid yet. Any idea what might be going on with this thing.

teddy52food
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery drain saga Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don't you think you may have a bad alternator?

Wildride47
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery drain saga Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-teddy52food wrote:
(quoted from post at 23:39:58 01/12/1Cool Don't you think you may have a bad alternator?

I may, I had the 4amp draw with the alternator completely disconnected. It went to 10 amps when the wires were reconnected and clocked back down to 4 amps in about 5 seconds. I think that was the diodes discharging. I’m still thinking this through. The 4 amp drain with the alternator and starter disconnected leads me to believe there is another issue to find

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery drain saga Reply to specific post Reply with quote

4 Volts or 4 Amps, your posts are inconsistent.

JD Seller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery drain saga Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hook everything back up but the grounds. Put your meter in the ground circuit. Then remove fuses one at a time to see if you can get the draw to stop. Then just identify what that fuse runs and you can usually trace the trouble. IRC the fuse panels is behind the left side cover under the battery box.

Wildride47
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery drain saga Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I opologize, should have typed volts. I only have a multi meter to test with. Didn’t want to confuse the topic

Wildride47
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery drain saga Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-JD Seller wrote:
(quoted from post at 02:01:50 01/13/1Cool Hook everything back up but the grounds. Put your meter in the ground circuit. Then remove fuses one at a time to see if you can get the draw to stop. Then just identify what that fuse runs and you can usually trace the trouble. IRC the fuse panels is behind the left side cover under the battery box.

I will give that a shot. Will just need to find the chart to identify the fuse location to the circuit affected

2510Paul
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Battery drain saga Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wilderide47, before any conclusions can be drawn I think we need to clear some things up first. Your approach is good but we need to establish what you?re measuring. If you actually have your meter on volts and you?re measuring between the battery ground post and the disconnect ground cables you are just measuring floating/stray voltages that mean pretty much nothing.
In the test configuration you described you should have your
meter on amps. Does your meter have a low amp setting and
or a shunt probe? I suggest you pull out your meter
instructions and see if it has any current measuring means. If
you don?t have the instructions perhaps you could post the
mfg and model of the meter.
Once you are sure you are measuring current flow, then you
can start pulling fuses, etc.
Good luck. I look forward to learn more about your meter and test configuration.
Paul

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Battery drain saga Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"I opologize, should have typed volts. I only have a multi meter to test with. Didn’t want to confuse the topic"

A 4 "VOLTS" reading with a likely sensitive meter literally means NOTHING 'cause even with a good-working system, you will likely see some VOLTS, doing it that way.

You need a MILLIAMPS reading, or try this... disconnect one of the battery cables and connect an unpowered 12 Volt test light between the battery post and the disconnected cable, and note if it lights, or glows dimly, might have to dim the light, or wait 'til dark to see it if it's a real low draw causing a very dim glow of the light.

If it glows at all, disconnect stuff 'til it quits glowing, thereby identifying the source of the battery drain..

DONMYEIL
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Battery drain saga Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would say you have a bad isolation diode . Should be no load from the alternator when stopped . This will run the battery down, alternator should be warm to the touch the next day if it is a bad diode .

Wildride47
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Battery drain saga Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-2510Paul wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:29:14 01/13/1Cool Wilderide47, before any conclusions can be drawn I think we need to clear some things up first. Your approach is good but we need to establish what you?re measuring. If you actually have your meter on volts and you?re measuring between the battery ground post and the disconnect ground cables you are just measuring floating/stray voltages that mean pretty much nothing.
In the test configuration you described you should have your
meter on amps. Does your meter have a low amp setting and
or a shunt probe? I suggest you pull out your meter
instructions and see if it has any current measuring means. If
you don?t have the instructions perhaps you could post the
mfg and model of the meter.
Once you are sure you are measuring current flow, then you
can start pulling fuses, etc.
Good luck. I look forward to learn more about your meter and test configuration.
Paul

I was using my Fluke T5-1000. It does not have DC amps. I pulled out my Motorola meter and it does DC amps, just need to pick up some batteries this evening and I can give it another shot and see what the results are. Thank you for catching the method failure. Checking for amp follow will be interesting to see what’s happening

2510Paul
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery drain saga Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds like a good plan Wild. Bob had an interesting idea. I just don't know how low a current a bulb will show any glow, depends on the bulb.

Paul

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters