Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Changed our hayseed order for this spring

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Changed our hayseed order for this spring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Gochta. Here in my part of south central MN we tend to stay cold, while those warm spells like you had circle all around us. Dakotas, Wisconsin, up there in Canada, all get those brief warm spells where it melts. Usually not here, we are some odd cold spot once winter sets in.

We were in the low 30s F here a few days ago so did get a minor warm up, but far from warm enough to make imid. The tar roads were actually frosty and slippery, as they were so cold the slightly above freezing air condesnded on them!

We have had very little snow this year, that is unusual for us, the cold is really sinking in deep, bet we see some bad frost boils and some busted water pipes by spring.

Rye and alfalfa do well here, winter wheat isn't really hardy enough, can work but often doesn't it freezes out.

Paul

carvel minne farmer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Changed our hayseed order for this spring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a question guys, my dad used to feed his work horses what he called green feed (oats cut not combined) stalk head and all, would there be a market for that with the horse or cattle people? and how much of the head would be lost going through a square baler?

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Changed our hayseed order for this spring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

carvel minne farmer wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:46:26 01/13/1Cool I have a question guys, my dad used to feed his work horses what he called green feed (oats cut not combined) stalk head and all, would there be a market for that with the horse or cattle people? and how much of the head would be lost going through a square baler?

Green feed does not go through a square baler. Horses do not eat haylage or baleage. Dairy farmers bale huge amounts of green feed and ensile it into baleage by wrapping it in the white plastic. The head stays on just fine. Green feed has to be fed within a few hours or it spoils. The farmer that I worked for as a kid made six inch long bales of green feed by taking all of the tension off. I walked along beside the pick-up with sides on it with a fork and pitched the bales into the truck.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters