Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Tools of Yesterday

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adirondack case guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:34 am    Post subject: Tools of Yesterday Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think these tools shout about the ingenuity and frugalness of yesterdays builders. The pegs and maul built on site from limb wood.
I ran a National truck crane for 3 years. Worked for 2 different Contractors who bought and tore down old post and beam barns, bent by bent. They told me the peg maul was traditionally left with the barn after completion. I really enjoyed those deconstructions, and learned a lot. The barns were reconstructed as far away as Texas.
Watched a couple of episodes of "Barn Wood Builders" last weekend on GAC. They were making pegs and using a similar home made maul. They had a chainsaw set up with a foot to make mortises though, and a holehog to drill the holes.
Loren

gtractorfan
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Tools of Yesterday Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Your old tools remind me of Roy Underhill and the Woodwright's Shop. A lot of ingenuity involved.

Gary Mitchell
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Tools of Yesterday Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good post as usual Loren!! gm

snoopnc
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Tools of Yesterday Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You wrote: "They told me the peg maul was traditionally left with the barn after completion."

I am assuming this was so that pegs could be tightened occasionally due to shrinkage and possibly some settling of the structure?? How "heavy" would the mauls typically be?

Interesting pic and thanks for sharing.

Rick

jeffcat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Tools of Yesterday Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks so much for this post! As stated the maul would be left to give the pegs a tap now and then. Sounds good. Could also be a good luck tradition or could be a superstsion about the tools life is finished and tied to that building. Metal hammer could break the pegs. If you buy a real log cabin they settle and cure over several years and they have adjustment points in the building. Green wood does that and no construction crew is going to wait around for the wood to cure. He he. Also green wood is much easier to work with. If you go into a really old beam and peg barn or building you will see that almost every floor beam, roof rafter, etc. Has a slight permanent sag in it. That is from green wood.

Adirondack case guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Tools of Yesterday Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am guessing about this one, but around 8# I guess, would have been a bit heavier if it was green wood. They could make them as big as they wanted. The one they were using on the TV show was bigger than this one.
Loren

jeffcat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Tools of Yesterday Reply to specific post Reply with quote

One more thing about the maul. Notice that the hadle is a straight "stick" of wood. This way you could use it close or reach far up, and the handle would fit your hand the same over it's length. Not like a hammer handle with a bulge or tapper in it. Just fascinating to think about all of this neat old stuff.

Adirondack case guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Tools of Yesterday Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The handle and head were just a limbs cut off a tree which they made beams from. They cut and formed the maul head, drilled a hole in it with the same bit used for the pegs and found a limb that they could fit into it. Not a lot of engineering and ergonomics involved. It is just a simple site made hand tool to do a job.
Loren

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters