Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Hey Old

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JD Seller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey Old Reply to specific post Reply with quote

rohdog50: The reason your need to run with the choke out is the colder air is more dense. So your able to get more oxygen into the motor in colder temperatures. Thus you need more fuel in to make the mixer not be lean. This is a major issue with tractor pullers. Air temperatures effect the amount of fuel or water you inject into the tractor to have maximum HP/RPM. Go to a tractor pull that is later in the fall and watch some of the fellows having trouble getting off the line. Their tractors are too lean to get the fire going like they are used too in hot weather.

I am not sure but if I remember correctly some of the older airplanes were set up to where you could adjust the mixer while in flight. They had the air density problem due to altitude and temperature.

As for running the better fuel. I can tell you the majority of the gas tractors and small motors around this part of North-Eastern Iowa will not run very well on the lower octane, ethanol added, 87 fuel. It must be regional as many fellow say theirs runs like it was new again on the lower grades of gas.

Hoenes
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey Old Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Agreed. I got some blue "jet A" from a friend one time , and ran it in my WD. Man it ran good. Got a little warm though.

rohdog50
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey Old Reply to specific post Reply with quote

JD Seller,

This tractor is 52 years old,i really don't use it that much....maybe 40 hrs a year the 87 octane fuel here(northern ohio)goes bad in 2-3 months,which is another reason I run 93 octane fuel and seafoam as a fuel stabilizer.I have other newer gas equipment that runs fine on 87 (2 cub cadet riding mowers,pressure washers,generators,airless paint sprayers,1-ton truck....etc) But again they may sit for months without use....and for that reason and my piece of mind,all my gas equipment gets 93 octane with seafoam mixed in. I have done this for well over 10 years now and have had 0 problems with fuel going bad and carburetors being pluged up.I just sold our old 1974 ford F700 farm truck last year,it had the 361 HD motor....it ran like crap too on 87 fuel so we had to run 93 octane in that one too.....like I said before,on these older gas motors,they were made to run on 93. Our fuel here isn't the greatest.......lol

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey Old Reply to specific post Reply with quote

One of the reason the 87 octane gas goes bad is because of the alcohol in it that absorbs water and then evaporates and leave the water behind. The higher octane gas does not have the alcohol or is less likely to so it stays good longer

rohdog50
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey Old Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes you are right

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters