Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

How much fertilizer for wheat?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jon f mn
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: How much fertilizer for wheat? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thinking about planting wheat this year and wondering what I should use for fertilizer. This will be on land that had corn last year and was hay for 20 years before with no fertilizer so its kinda run down. Soil ranges from gravely to heavier sandy clay. Just wondering what most of you use for fertilizer?

russ1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: How much fertilizer for wheat? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I recommend a soil test. Any suggestions will be a guess. Your local seed/fertilizer dealer will get it done for you.

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: How much fertilizer for wheat? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

An answer from the seat of the pants will be marginal or wrong. Look at the soil conditions on the land. If it is fairly uniform in composition and drainage, one sample from the most typical place will do. Take the sample to your county extension service for analysis. Soils testing will provide accurate measurement of nutrients and micro nutrients needed to support the wheat. Jim

jon f mn
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: How much fertilizer for wheat? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That doesnt tell me whats required to grow wheat tho. I have a pretty good idea whats there which isn't much, but what will it take to grow it.

moresmoke
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: How much fertilizer for wheat? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

100 lb of N per acre for 40-50 bushels. Also depends what you are planning to do with the grain. If you short on N both yield and protein will be hurt. Some years protein loss will hurt more at the elevator than the yield loss. If for feed use it is not as critical.
Click

jon f mn
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: How much fertilizer for wheat? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the link, I was looking at that earlier. I thought those recomendations were for winter wheat and was wondering if spring wheat was the same.

coonie minnie
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: How much fertilizer for wheat? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As below, take some soil tests, and they will give you recommendations for wheat next year, and whatever crop you are following wheat with.

A lot depends on where you are located, and what type of wheat you are growing. Here in eastern WI, you can grow 100 bu wheat on 70 lbs of N pretty reliably.

casecollectorsc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: How much fertilizer for wheat? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Put on 250# of urea last year. Didn't rain till July and the wheat was planted in April. Made about 30 bushel to the acre....no wheat ever again. Takes more than fertilizer to get a good crop. 3-4 years ago it made 65 bpa and was worth $8.60, this year $4.80.

jon f mn
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: How much fertilizer for wheat? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Anything besides nitrogen like potash and phosphate?

coonie minnie
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: How much fertilizer for wheat? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ideal soil tests for wheat will be somewhat higher for P and to a lesser extent K than say corn. A lot of that is determined by the soil test. If this field was hayed for 20 years and no fertilizer applied, odds are it is low, and would respond to something.

Again, talking to an agronomist would be smart... preferably one who isn't going to sell you the fertilizer, and one in your neighborhood. That way he'll know what kind of wheat you are growing, the soil type, local management pratices, whether or not you are going to remove the straw. All of that plays into the decision.

Being this is probably winter wheat, you are going to want to put fertilizer down as soon as you can in the spring, so soil testing might be a challenge- the spreader should be rolling at or even before you want to soil test. You might want a "removal" number for wheat- how much P and K will the crop remove, and just apply that.

Last, wheat prices stink right now, so make sure if you need to spend money, you do it on the places that offer the most return. In today's farm economy, that might be "a return". Smile

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: How much fertilizer for wheat? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

it dont take much to grow it... its what u want in the end result. basically more nitrogen equals higher yield along with the rest of ingredients like phosphorous and potash. as suggested,the soil sample will cover whats needed to grow for your end results. all depends on moisture and rain fall also.

caterpillar guy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: How much fertilizer for wheat? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

For spring wheat. If you can spread a couple hundred pounds of potash now. Then spread a starter at planting, then topdress some nitrogen later would be about the optimum. Now Sow about 2-3 bushel per acre.
Wheat will use similar amounts of nutrients to corn just not as much. If you take the straw off you will remove quite a bit of the potash. Most of the nitrogen will come off with the grain.

hd6gtom
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: How much fertilizer for wheat? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jon make sure you have a market for your wheat. I had a crop get a blight in it. Local mill would not accept it. I wound up selling it for hog feed. I simply used phosphate and potash, don't put on too much nitrogen, wheat can grow too tall and have a tendency to go down on you. Will you be seeding hybred or the old fashioned type. I seeded some hybred when it first came out years ago. It did a little better than the regular seed and I never had blight with hybred seed. I always took the filler bars out of my combine when doing wheat.
Good luck

Moonlite37
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: How much fertilizer for wheat? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My renter followed beans with wheat, The field had been limed and fertilized to test. The renter has two sons in the partnership. They applied no fertilizer at planting but on Dec 30 applied 45 60 60 I understand following beans adds 20 - 25 pounds N. I never question their judgment and they make me money every year for over 25 years

jon f mn
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: How much fertilizer for wheat? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don't know what seed to use yet. There is a market for wheat at a local miller. They are very particular about what they buy so I will have to ask them what they want. I know they only take spring wheat tho. I'm just considering alternatives to corn this year. I can do beans too, but don't have a bean head and have been having trouble finding one.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters