Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

How much fertilizer for wheat?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WGM
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: How much fertilizer for wheat? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Last time I had wheat i put on 100 units of 28% over the top in ltet Feb. Yielded over 100 bu. Forget what the pre-plant was. This is using Becks wheat.

4520BW
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: How much fertilizer for wheat? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

On Winter wheat I disc in the fertilizer per the soil test before I plant. When it freezes sometime in February I put on a 100lbs of urea,then in early spring I have the coop put on fungicide and 28. I have real good luck doing the split application,wheat is not worth much around here but I can sell straw and make my money.

Roger in Iowa
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: How much fertilizer for wheat? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What brand of bean/wheat head are you looking to buy?

I have a JD 213 that I used for both wheat and beans. email is open.

jon f mn
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: How much fertilizer for wheat? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Do you need the fungicide if there has never been wheat on the land? How much total N do you generally use?

4520BW
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: How much fertilizer for wheat? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I always use fungicide on wheat and corn, and shoot for 80# of actual N.

olgentdc
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: How much fertilizer for wheat? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jon ,You are thinkin spring wheat Rite ??? ,,.. We only grow winter wheat here in Southern Ind ,so i can only tell how we do ,... I have sown it as cover crop Hay as late as rite now . Ideally we start sowing ,drilling Sept 15th -nov 30th ,.. 150 lbs 9-23-30,.. GET Your LIME upto 6.4,.. dont hurt to have TOO much Either ,.. ,. starting mid feb thru april 15th ,,..50-125 tops for urea,. No more than that if you dont want lodging trouble .around then we go after weeds and onions ,,should start combinin june 20th -july 30.. we try to double with beans, before july 10th

notjustair
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: How much fertilizer for wheat? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Soil test. I use 18-46-60 starter on my wheat ground. You don't get it all out in that first crop so you want to be careful about doing fertilizing on rented ground if you aren't renting long term. It really just depends on your soil.

jon f mn
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: How much fertilizer for wheat? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have an older case combine.

flying belgian
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: How much fertilizer for wheat? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jon, your fert. dealer will be able to tell you what you need.

LA in WI
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: How much fertilizer for wheat? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[quote="CVPost-Jon f mn"](quoted from post at 00:54:41 01/14/1Cool Don't know what seed to use yet. There is a market for wheat at a local miller.
=====================

One thing you need to know, but was not mentioned by anyone: Best reason for a soil test is so you know the "PH" of your soil...the acidity level, which is corrected by any needed lime. Fert is not as effective if the PH is not at proper level. Only way to find that out is TAKE A SOIL TEST.
A soil test is like getting a road map for a new destination, Adding any lime is like tuning the motor. The fert is like adding clean oil and gas. Then maybe the motor will run properly as long as you do the applications and seeding at the proper times..

When frost is out and field is dry, grab a plastic pail (not a galvanized one) and a spade. Walk randomly over the field, taking small 4-6 inch deep slices (don't take soil from near a gravel road or some small spot where livestock used to stand for days), stir the soil good, put a sample in the bag you will have gotten from the fert dealer or county ag agent, or even that local miller. When you get the results back, talk to someone who knows more than you do on how to diagnose the results (anyone who does NOT know more than you is of no help to you, adding amateurs to the mix does not make it better).
LA in WI

PS Soil near a gravel road...all that dust from traffic will often raise the PH to high levels along that road, affecting the PH reading of the field average..

PPS SOIL TEST

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters