Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Stainless steel roof

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hal Roberts
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Stainless steel roof Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Strongly thinking of putting a stainless standing seam roof on my house. Cost is not as great as you might think. Wondering if anyone has any experience with this?
Thanks--Hal

Pete in MD
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless steel roof Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't have any experience with stainless roofing. I do know that some stainless panels are plain steel with stainless clad over them. When the panels are sheared to length the plain steel is exposed on the ends and can rust depending on the environment they're exposed to.

jeffcat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless steel roof Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In my humble opinion. I have no idea what grade stainless they use. Now it could be a terrific looking roof. Next it is going to look like a dairy barn if it is not colored. Summer time it will be very shinny and also reflect heat from the sun. My folks barn was galvinized and you could see that barn from 5 or 6 miles away on the other side of the valley. Then the traveling crews sprayed it with black roof tar. Have seen metal roofs in several colors. Green looks kinda nice. Guess I am rambling a little. There have got to be some experts on here. Well I started to do some looking. My neice is an architect and so I know where to look for stuff on line. This site gives you an absolute ton of information from an architectural design point of view. There is a lot more than the average person would think. Hope this answers all of your questions.
stainless roofing..archives. .architectural

DoubleO7
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless steel roof Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Scrap price alone for SS is 5.33 times more expensive than steel.

Prime metals is most likely a bigger spread than that.

Here in Florida anyways.

Athol Carr
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless steel roof Reply to specific post Reply with quote

when you put two stainless steels together, say sheet and fastenings one will show rust stains. This is from many years in yachting and stainless steels and stainless bolts or screws. This is experience with 304, 316, 317, 324 stainless. The 304 is also used for pots and pans as it is easily formed. I have had all types used for marine engine mufflers, hot salt water and diesel exhaust rotted all out in two years each. Went then to plastic muffler and never a problem thereafter

Hal Roberts
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless steel roof Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the link--very informative. The material is 26ga. 304 stainless. Quoted cost is 190.00 per hundred sq. ft. Some of the Amish in this area are putting it on their barns & houses. Some local roofers are using it on their own homes. Drip edge, valleys, ridge cap & screws are all stainless. Thanks again.

ohiojim
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless steel roof Reply to specific post Reply with quote

about 3 miles from me my friend cover his whole barn in stainless steel made from 2nds from local steel mill. it reminds me of supermans crystal palace

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless steel roof Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-hal roberts wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:41:23 01/13/1Cool Strongly thinking of putting a stainless standing seam roof on my house. Cost is not as great as you might think. Wondering if anyone has any experience with this?
Thanks--Hal

From everything that I have read, the regular standing seam roof is light years ahead of asphalt shingles or plain metal roof. Why would you need more?

WGM
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless steel roof Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Stainless steel is one of the most active metals when it comes to expansion and contraction. Will leak like a sieve in a couple years. Of course all metal roofs leak unles installed properly which means standing seam, concealed fasteners. This will allow the roof panels to move. Screwed down or nailed down pole barn siding/roofing is guaranteed to leak right out of the box.

jm.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless steel roof Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I can show you several including some 20 years old that are screwed down and have NEVER leaked.

4520BW
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless steel roof Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We have stainless on our old barn roof and the shop is stainless on the outside and on the inside we also put stainless over the insulation and ceiling. Never had a problem.

jeffcat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless steel roof Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Can also look like a B-29 Bomber.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless steel roof Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-jm. wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:33:10 01/13/1Cool I can show you several including some 20 years old that are screwed down and have NEVER leaked.

No, they all leak within fifteen years or so, it is just that no one has gone really looking for where they leak. The insulation holds the small amount. A house near me changed hands 3-4 years ago, and right away they were replacing the steel roof, which I remembered going up. They were putting asphalt on it, and the new owner said that they found a bunch of leaks during the inspection that had not shown up yet inside. The got it in time to prevent real damage.

jeffcat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless steel roof Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Glad to help. As I said, when you know were or what to look for.

WGM
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless steel roof Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I doubt that. All metal roofs leak.
The facts remain a sheetmetal roof expands and contracts constantly and works on the fasteners and elongates the holes and all of a sudden, roof leak.
Only a fool would install a sheetmetal roof and expect not to leak

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters